Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:38:45 AM EDT
The gov't has lifted the fines/penalties on running died fuel ( home heating fuel ) in diesel powered vehicles.  

I just paid $2.20 for oil for my house, and I'll be running it in my 2005 F250 along with my homemade Biodiesel.

2005-08-31 14:44:14 EDT
***EPA COMES TO RESCUE OF ANXIOUS OIL INDUSTRY, OFFERS WAIVER RELIEF FOR U.S.
Urged by a frantic oil industry to loosen regulatory chains so gas stations can receive much needed fuel supply, EPA has granted enforcement relief for the entire country.
The agency will allow every state in the U.S. to sell gasoline with a higher Reid vapor pressure, even if they are normally required to sell a lower RVP blend. Blends with a 9.0 RVP or higher RVP may replace a lower RVP gas, EPA's Angela Fitzgerald told OPIS. However, conventional fuel may NOT be used as a substitute for reformulated gasoline, she said.
In addition, during the waiver period, red-dyed high sulfur diesel with 500 ppm sulfur, may replace low sulfur diesel fuel.
EPA's administrator made the announcement at a Homeland Security conference today.
Yesterday, EPA granted a similar waiver to Florida, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Alabama.
Massive outages caused by Hurricane Katrina that shut down oil ports, as many as eight refineries, and pipelines, and sparked a wave of product allocations from coast to coast sent gasoline futures prices to a high of $2.925/gal today and rack prices to $3/gal.
But NYMEX gasoline prices eased to $2.65 at presstime as word of the EPA waiver spread.

LINK
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:41:03 AM EDT
[#1]
So where can I fill up my TDI with this magical $2.20/gallon diesel? I haven't seen diesel for less than $3.00 all week.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:42:40 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So where can I fill up my TDI with this magical $2.20/gallon diesel? I haven't seen diesel for less than $3.00 all week.

try a co-op
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:48:00 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

That really sucks for you.  I just (this morning in the a.m, who knows what happens within 12 hours anymore)  put Diesel from the local Hess gas station in my truck for $2.89/gal.

The died fuel, is available at your local home heating fuel distributor.  I don't think gas stations are gonna sell it due to the lack of road taxes that are levied on regular #2
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 10:27:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Be careful wrt state laws.  We have five diesel trucks and over 5k gallons of heating oil in a tank just going to waste after we replaced our heatpump last year, so I just called a friend in the state police to ask about this issue.  He said that while the federal requirement may have been waived, the state one here in SC has not.  His supervisor said that they are still testing tanks and filters for dye as always and you will still be prosecuted for this "crime" if caught.  I'm still looking for a way to use that fuel.

Also, if you run red-dyed fuel in your vehicle, you will want to replace the fuel filter after the waiver comes to an end.  I would hate trying to explain to a cop after a traffic stop or roadblock why my fuel filter is red.  I doubt they'd buy the "but I only ran it after Katrina" story.z
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:45:20 AM EDT
[#5]
The EPA wouldn't be the problem, it would be your state tax collectors.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:58:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That really sucks for you.  I just (this morning in the a.m, who knows what happens within 12 hours anymore)  put Diesel from the local Hess gas station in my truck for $2.89/gal.

The died fuel, is available at your local home heating fuel distributor.  I don't think gas stations are gonna sell it due to the lack of road taxes that are levied on regular #2

That's the second time you've said that.

Do you mean dyed fuel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top