Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 9:42:40 AM EDT
I have a brand new Winchester 1300 Defender I took in trade a while back.  It pretty much is a safe queen.  I just don't have a need for yet another full stocked riot gun.

Now, I've never put much thought into folders on any long gun, I've never seen the need.  But having a 12 gauge that will fit into a duffel bag would probably be a good thing and fun besides.

Any suggestions?  Top or side folder?  Anyone have a brand they would steer clear of?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I've had very good service for many years out of a Butler Creek side-folder on one of my 870s.  I believe they make the same stock for Defenders.  Note that some folks don't like the elevation on these, but I've never had a problem with it at HD/SD/CQB distances (I've never tried to shoot clays with it ).  It is third from the right in the picture below (I don't have one of it by itself or folded - sorry ):

The only other folder I've had (other than the factory one on the SPAS-12) was a Remington factory top-folder on an old police shotgun - I didn't like that one at all.

I've read a lot of good things about the "COP Stock" but haven't tried one.
(Not sure if they make one for Winnies...)  EDITED - see below.

EDITED to add LINK.  Mine is the "old-style" blued folder - I haven't tried the one with the shell-carrier, but I remember reading some negative comments about it here a while back...
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:03:41 AM EDT
[#2]
The Copstock is the one I have gotten recommendations for as well. I also have a old Remington 870 with the factory folding stock.

Link to Knoxx Copstock Here
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#3]
if you want a side-folder, i've always liked choate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:23:26 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a copstock on my boat gun, a Mossy mariner 500.  Highly reccomend it.

I was reluctant of the wire stock for a 12 gauge but their shock absorbing system works very well.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:31:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Tag for opinions. I've had the hankerin' for a tactical shotgun and have been trying to decide between a Speedfeed pistol grip stock or an Advanced Technologies top-folding stock. I am worried that the top-folder may not be rigid enough when firing 12 gauge loads.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Tag for opinions. I've had the hankerin' for a tactical shotgun and have been trying to decide between a Speedfeed pistol grip stock or an Advanced Technologies top-folding stock. I am worried that the top-folder may not be rigid enough when firing 12 gauge loads.

The Advanced Technologies top-folding stock is junk, nothing but plastic.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 11:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I've always thought the shotgun stocks that collapse like the M4 look interesting.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#8]

2.) Individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:09:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Butler Creek side folder old type without shell holder… they work and are practically indestructible.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 3:49:16 PM EDT
[#10]

It seems to be the closest to the old Remington 870-FP stock (whichwas a blatant ripoff of the AK underfolder).

Never could stand sidefolders on a shotty - they just seem clunky.

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mine is the "old-style" blued folder - I haven't tried the one with the shell-carrier, but I remember reading some negative comments about it here a while back...

I think those comments were from me. The plastic Butler Creek stock is, in my opinion, garbage.

The Knoxx folder is outstanding.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:08:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Tried out a Mossberg 500 with a top-folding Spas-12 style stock in a pawnshop once. Didn't seem like it'd be comfortable to shoot a whole lot, but it seated properly and when folded it didn't take up very much space at all.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:41:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Another vote for CHOATE!!!

I've got one on a Mossy and love it!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Another +1 for Choate.
I got my first Choate after being very disappointed with an ATI stock that was such a POS I wouldn't even put it on my rifle. I now have four different Choate stocks, including a folder.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:04:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I haven't tried the Choate folder for any shotgun, but if it's like another Choate folder I have, the quality is excellent and I heartedly endorse it.  With respects to the Remington factory folder, the metal buttplate sucks (impact hurts like hell) and the cold metal is tough to put to your cheek in very cold (not to mention freezing) climates.  Go plastic with Choate.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:08:17 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Advanced Technologies top-folding stock is junk, nothing but plastic.

Ive been using an Advanced Technologies for 3 years and never had any problems.  Yeah they are made of "plasctic" but so are most stocks now.  Its not a the plasctic kids toys are made of but more like synthetic stocks are made of.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Mine is the "old-style" blued folder - I haven't tried the one with the shell-carrier, but I remember reading some negative comments about it here a while back...

I think those comments were from me. The plastic Butler Creek stock is, in my opinion, garbage...

Thanks, I couldn't remember who but I knew someone here had reported a bad experience with them.  I remembered that thread & didn't want to make a "blanket recommendation" for the Butler Creeks.  I love my metal one (it's been on that 870 for 10+ years), but it's the only one of theirs I have tried (I have also used similar metal side-folders from BC on 10/22s & Mini-14s in the past and liked them as well).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 5:59:09 AM EDT
[#18]
I never could bring myself to put something like this on a shotgun.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

To each his own.

Mine was bought and installed "back in the day" before I switched from shotguns to carbines for SD/HD use.  I wanted to have a shotgun in the trunk of all of my vehicles (I still do FWIW, but now they cohabitate with a carbine which will be grabbed first in most all situations ).  This wasn't a problem, except in my Miata.  I found it difficult to carry - let alone deploy - a full-stocked shotgun (my preference) in that tiny trunk, but I didn't want to give up a stock entirely (i.e., PG only).  The metal side-folder solved that problem & has served me well for over a decade.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:51:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

That settles it then.

No one put a folding stock on their shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:59:28 AM EDT
[#21]
I have a Choate side folder on my 870. Like all Choate stuff it ain't pretty, but it works and its bomb proof. My only complaint is that its a little to long.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:04:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I have the Remington 870 with the factory overfolder as well, and I agree with what has been said here about it. That being said, I like the looks of that Copstock by Knoxx.

WRT the M4-type stocks, they actually seem to lengthen the weapon, and I don't see the attraction. The only possible practical use is for when the shooter is wearing a flak jacket. I suppose it looks cool to the M-forgery crowd, though... whatever floats your boat. I never liked the AR telestock, either, even on an AR. It certainly isn't comfortable to use, IMHO.

I'd go with the Copstock.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:24:38 AM EDT
[#23]
I have the Choate overfolder on a 590 and it is solid.  Only thing I don't like is that there is no cheekweld.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:37:33 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That settles it then.

No one put a folding stock on their shotguns.

Saludo de bienvenida dude!
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:43:23 AM EDT
[#25]
A side folder on an 870 can--and will at times--interfere with a original forearm/slide/hand.  The SG with the folder in HardShell's pic probably has this potential problem.

The stock will either hold itself off the receiver when folded, or it can easily be forced against the receiver with light force.  When the stock lies against the receiver, the stock...I can't remember if the slide interferes with the stock, or the hand that moves it, or both.  

The side-folders generally have a small butt too, and causes the "pain" of recoil to be worse.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:54:21 AM EDT
[#26]
I kinda like these.  

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:03:04 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
A side folder on an 870 can--and will at times--interfere with a original forearm/slide/hand.  The SG with the folder in HardShell's pic probably has this potential problem.

The stock will either hold itself off the receiver when folded, or it can easily be forced against the receiver with light force.  When the stock lies against the receiver, the stock...I can't remember if the slide interferes with the stock, or the hand that moves it, or both...

Good point, injun-ear, but only when the stock is folded.  I do not shoot that shotgun with the stock folded so that has not been an issue for me - if I did, I would have put a shorter forend on it (which would solve that problem, plus I could use a longer side-saddle ).  I personally find a vertical PG on a shotgun with no stock uncomfortable/uncontrollable in the extreme.  The only non-stocked shotgun I would use is one with a "witness-style" PG, like my wife's on the far right in the picture on the previous page - and even then that would be a last resort (she's better with that thing than she has any right to be, but I still wish she'd change... ).
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:39:50 AM EDT
[#28]
they also sell short forearms that remedy this situation if you DO shoot with the stock folded...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:44:10 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
they also sell short forearms that remedy this situation if you DO shoot with the stock folded...

...Which puts the forearm just about out of reach for me.  I can reach it, but it sure doesn't "feel right."  The reason why the 870's forearm is cut-out, and slides all the way past the tube/receiver joint, is because the forearm would otherwise be annoyingly far away.  
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:46:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Hey mine don't have stocks ...but I like shotguns.

Link Posted: 1/5/2006 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I've had very good service for many years out of a Butler Creek side-folder on one of my 870s.  I believe they make the same stock for Defenders.  Note that some folks don't like the elevation on these, but I've never had a problem with it at HD/SD/CQB distances (I've never tried to shoot clays with it ).  It is third from the right in the picture below (I don't have one of it by itself or folded - sorry ):

i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/HardShell/RWB%20-%20Shotguns/Shotguns870s-half.jpg

The only other folder I've had (other than the factory one on the SPAS-12) was a Remington factory top-folder on an old police shotgun - I didn't like that one at all.

I've read a lot of good things about the "COP Stock" but haven't tried one.
(Not sure if they make one for Winnies...)  EDITED - see below.

EDITED to add LINK.  Mine is the "old-style" blued folder - I haven't tried the one with the shell-carrier, but I remember reading some negative comments about it here a while back...

How do you like the faux sawed-off pg on that shotty far right?

I too, have a 1300 that I'm looking at stocks for.

That copstock looks like the heat.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
How do you like the faux sawed-off pg on that shotty far right?...

That's my wife's which I refer to in my post above (the one on this page, not the one quoted).  Personally, I find it much more comfortable to shoot than any stand-alone vertical PG on a shotgun... but I still prefer (and always use) a stocked shotgun myself.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have the Remington 870 with the factory overfolder as well, and I agree with what has been said here about it. That being said, I like the looks of that Copstock by Knoxx.

WRT the M4-type stocks, they actually seem to lengthen the weapon, and I don't see the attraction. The only possible practical use is for when the shooter is wearing a flak jacket. I suppose it looks cool to the M-forgery crowd, though... whatever floats your boat. I never liked the AR telestock, either, even on an AR. It certainly isn't comfortable to use, IMHO.

I'd go with the Copstock.

I have one of the ATI M4 stocks . It is plastic . It hasn't broken yet , but I  am in the process of makeing an adaptor to use a real buffer tube for it .
As an FYI the plastic bufer tube on it will accept the M4 stock from RRA perfectly .
The reason I have it is that I am a normal sized guy , but Barb is a tiny woman . We can both use the same Shotgun when we are out in the woods with kids just in case something decideds to make us or our kids a lower part of the food chain .
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 11:37:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Id like a collapsing stock like used on my Sage EBR stock.  I dont like anything else.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:50:12 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
... The reason I have it is that I am a normal sized guy , but Barb is a tiny woman . We can both use the same Shotgun when we are out in the woods with kids just in case something decideds to make us or our kids a lower part of the food chain .

Great point that I hadn't considered about the collapsibles vs. the folders.  If I can ever get my wife to abandon her PG-only shotgun, I may have to try one on one of our 870s for that very reason.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for the replys fellas.  I ordered the Copstock.  Cabela's has them for $89.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top