Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/6/2002 6:51:20 PM EDT
The question of flying the Confederate flag is in the news again.  Looks like the NAACP wants to boycott South Carolina because the flag still flies on the capitol grounds.

My 2 cents: The flag is a great part of SC history.  The people who fought for that flag were true patriots who believed in the Constitution and did not want a redistribution of wealth to the North.  Slavery was not even a major cause of the war until the North started loosing white solders at an unacceptable rate.  Lincoln raised the issue of slavery in order to entice black solders to fight in the Union Army.  Slavery did not even end in the United States until 10 months after the South surrendered.  50 thousand black troops fought on the side of the South.  Some were highly decorated.

I think the idea of opposing the flag is a way for some groups to continue the "victim" mode of  operation.

Your 2 cents?
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:13:32 AM EDT
[#1]
They don't care what it actually means, they use it for their own agenda.

I now fly the 'battle flag' at every shoot I go to.  If I was going to the BRC, I'd fly it there too. [:)]

[img]www.dixienet.org/images/flags/csa_flags/batlflag.gif[/img]

[img]www.dixienet.org/images/animated/ani-flags/virginia-flag-ani.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 3:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
How do you boycott an entire state???
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:49:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to have my son change shirts this morning. It had a picture of the H. L. Hunley and the battle flag on it. The school would have freaked.

At first the NAACP said to move the flag off the dome and put in a place of "historical significance ". It was moved to the confederate solders memorial. That seems to me to meet their request but they say they can see it better now than before. There are many things that offend me in this world but i get over it. I have gotten to the point where they can just kiss my white southern ass. Soon they will probably want the confederate memorials brought down in the town squares and ban the confederate flags in the cemetery on Memorial Day.

I am sorry to rant but I now feel better.
Link Posted: 2/7/2002 4:55:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Screw them! If this keeps up, the Stars and Bars will be flying over the former US Capitol building in Washington DC![:D]

One can only hope!

Eric The(Forget?Hell!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:29:32 AM EDT
[#5]
[img]http://home.supernet.com/~libertyof76/images/flags/confednavaljack.gif[/img]
Let it fly!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#6]
that's not even the true confederate flag...

[url]http://americancivilwar.com/south/conflag/southflg.html[/url]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:19:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I now fly the 'battle flag' at every shoot I go to.  If I was going to the BRC, I'd fly it there too. [:)]

[img]www.dixienet.org/images/flags/csa_flags/batlflag.gif[/img]

[img]www.dixienet.org/images/animated/ani-flags/virginia-flag-ani.gif[/img]
View Quote

I'll make sure I fly one at BRC for you.

When they started the boycott, I sent a letter to the state Gov & their Dept of Commerce & Tourism saying I would send my staff there more often to offset & I did.

Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:31:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Those who want the Stars and Bars taken down think it represents racism. It doesn't. They are just idiots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys in the South need to go sovereign on their ass.
The NAACP knows the Civil War was about trade, not slavery.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:40:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:41:46 AM EDT
[#11]
While I have no problem with the stars and bars, this is the rebel flag that I prefer, the original one:
[img]http://www.law.ou.edu/pix/rossflag.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:48:43 AM EDT
[#12]
It's pathetic, the NAACP never helps blacks in any meaningful way.  They attack the flag because it will get them in the news and give them more publicity.  They never work on really helping blacks by tackling real problems like teen pregnancy, illiteracy, poverty, and any number of other real issues.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:06:27 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
50 thousand black troops fought on the side of the South.  Some were highly decorated.
Your 2 cents?
View Quote

what's the source for this information?
for those whodont know, it's not the stars and bars, it's the confederate army's battle flag.
slavery was legal until the constitution was ammended(13th?), after the war.
lincoln, though opposed to slavery, did not believe it was within his authority to end it. the emancipation proclamation was issued for several reasons, among which was military utility.

my 2 cents?
i think it's a whole lot of fuss over nothing. slavery was wrong, and the south fought AMONG OTHER REASONS to preserve it. pat cleburn and others offered a solution in winter of 63/64, which was overwhelmingly rejected. we lost in 1865. learn from it and move on.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:24:26 AM EDT
[#14]
It is a shame that there are not any educated historians in the NAACP.  Well, let me rephrase that: It is too bad that there are not any educated historians in the NAACP who are high enough up on the ladder to actually have some credibility.  If there were, then this would not be an issue.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 11:18:51 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 5:12:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Lurker

You are correct, there is a difference between the "Stars and Bars" and the Confederate battle flag.  I was using the Ss&Bs as a reference to the flag in SC.  It was not technically correct.

I have heard the reference to 30-50K black soldiers fighting for the South many times.  Check out "The South was Right" by James and Walter Kennedy, Pelican Publishing, 1991.  I have also seen several references to the fact on some of the Civil War web sites but I don't have the time to look up the URL tonight.  I have some letters at home from my great(3) grandfather who was a solder in the Florida militia that refers to a fellow black solider in his company. I do remember a couple of years ago that one of the descendents of a black Confederate solider wanted to put up a memorial but was shut down by the NAACP.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 6:45:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I vote "no" on flying it officially. Like it or not, the KKK has besmirched the flag beyond all redemption.
Right or wrong, perception **is** reality & blacks have decided that it does indeed represent their slavery past as well as lynchings.
Private citizens or organizations should & could fly it all they want, IMO. But not on State grounds.
My .o2
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:16:37 PM EDT
[#18]
You all should see Jamal Anderson wearing his rebel flag bandana.

[beer]
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 7:33:45 PM EDT
[#19]
BobCole

It's Heritage not HATE, dummy!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 8:01:57 PM EDT
[#20]
This crap gives me a damn headache!

The next thing they'll want is an apology from CBS and a public smashing of the General Lee from them Duke boys.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Hey, I'm just a northern boy, and I'm not overly well versed on the 'customs of the south'.....but if the NAACP wants to boycott the state, pack 'em the fuck up and ship 'em the fuck out. Whether they like it or not, the flag is a PART OF AMERICAN HISTORY. It represents a hell of a lot more than slavery, and I think it represents many things about this nation that should not be forgotten.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the confederate battle flag looks neato. We bought one before we moved up here. My Uncle flies it at his lodge for our southern friends when they come up.
Link Posted: 2/8/2002 10:08:32 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a shame their energy isn't used more constructively. I'm sure their Big Brother and mentor Programs need help, and after school programs can always use volunteers to help kids that are struggling. Instead they chose to waste their time on this nonsense that in the end only separates people more.

Money must be running out and they need a hot issue to refill their coffers.  Forth Class leadership.
Link Posted: 2/9/2002 5:12:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
BobCole

It's Heritage not HATE, dummy!!!!!!
View Quote

First of all, asshole, I'm no dummy. Secondly, fly your flag all you want but not on official state grounds whcih are supposed to represent ALL of the citizens in that state, not just the ones who want the Confederate flag.
Link Posted: 2/15/2002 9:48:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Lurker

You are correct, there is a difference between the "Stars and Bars" and the Confederate battle flag.  I was using the Ss&Bs as a reference to the flag in SC.  It was not technically correct.

I have heard the reference to 30-50K black soldiers fighting for the South many times.  Check out "The South was Right" by James and Walter Kennedy, Pelican Publishing, 1991.  I have also seen several references to the fact on some of the Civil War web sites but I don't have the time to look up the URL tonight.  I have some letters at home from my great(3) grandfather who was a solder in the Florida militia that refers to a fellow black solider in his company. I do remember a couple of years ago that one of the descendents of a black Confederate solider wanted to put up a memorial but was shut down by the NAACP.
View Quote

no doubt about it, there were black confederate soldiers, and they performed as well as any other troops. paradoxically they usually served among their white brethren unlike in the north where they had separate regiments.
but i think the 30-50 thousand estimate is very high, in fact i suspect 5,000 might be high. 3,000 sounds entirely plausible, especially since the govt in richmond actually authorized black regiments, in (i think) january of '65. they drilled, but i dont think these regiments saw action.

Link Posted: 2/15/2002 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Screw the NAACP. The Confederate flag is not only a HUGE part of South Carolina's history, but of the United State's history as well. And I'm originally from Missouri, so I'm not biased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top