Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2001 3:33:00 AM EDT
They are now talking about their availability pretty soon...  

I've never received one and I'm curious if any of you have voluntarily received one?  If so,  did they not work and make you sick or did it actually prevent yourself from getting the flu?

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:35:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Nope, don't belive in them.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:37:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Never had a flu shot and each year I survived. Got a cold here and there, that's about it. But, I will surely have my kid to take it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:25:45 AM EDT
[#3]
curious if any of you have voluntarily received one?
View Quote

And how would one of us have come to be forced to take one?

Never had one.  Been 5 years now without so much as a cold, let alone the flu.  There are other, better, ways.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:33:09 AM EDT
[#4]
7, I used to [i]have[/i] to take one when I was in the army, I'd be sick for three days after I took it.  On the bright side I did'nt get the flu afterwards, If you want to time when you get the flu the shot is a great way to go.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#5]
THEY ARE THE DEVILS WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IT IS THE GOVERMENT TRYING TO TAG US WITH MICROSCOPIC TRACERS THAT CAN BE READ AT ANY AIRPORT METAL DETECTOR AND RECIEVABLE BY SATELLITE SCANNER.  IT IS ALSO USED TO TURN OUR BRAIN INTO A GOVERMENT BRAIN WAVE RECEPTION DEVICE!!!

That or to help keep us from getting the flu.

I have never gotten sick from one.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:12:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the flu last year for the first time in 10-15 years,it was was horrible. It hit me about 9 PM in the first week of January and for two days I was in sever pain. It took three weeks to get over it completely. I don't think the shot is good for all flu strains,just the strains the government experts (LOL) feel will be spreading through the population for that particular year. Even so,I will be getting one this year.  Thanks for reminding me.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:29:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:29:07 AM EDT
[#9]
FLU shots are formulated on a prediction of what strains they thing are going to exist the coming season. Also, if you are over 40 years of age your immune system starts to weaken, by getting a flu shot it helps you acclimate to them when you are still healthy. If you do get a certain strain of flu it will not be as severe if you got the flu shot. There is also a chance that a certain strain may have been missed in which case a person will have to bare the brunt of the sickness. All in all if your over 40 it can't hurt to get one. I have been getting them since I turned 40 and I have not dealt with a full blown flu since.
[uzi][frag]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#10]
No way!!!

Flu shots are nothing but the government's attempt to deplete the Purity Of Essence of our precious bodily fluids!!

POE - OPE

Gotta go to the store now 'cuz for some reason I'm running low on tin foil......
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:19:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I got the flu about 5 years ago, and was sick for 3 months.  The next 2 years, I got a flu shot and not the flu.  It is a mixed risk, but that flu was really bad.  I will probably start getting shots again in a few years, because the flu would probably kill me.

(Dr. Strangelove is one of my fav. movies)
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:36:59 AM EDT
[#12]
As a paramedic, I am exposed to hundreds of people with the flu every season. The flu shot has kept me flu-free every season but one, when I had the worst case of flu in recorded history.

In my experience, the shots usually work, with no side effects.

BTW, you would not believe the number of young, otherwise healthy people, who call 911 to get an ambulance ride to the hospital for the flu.

Another example of the pussyfication of America?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
They are now talking about their availability pretty soon...  

I've never received one and I'm curious if any of you have voluntarily received one?  If so,  did they not work and make you sick or did it actually prevent yourself from getting the flu?

View Quote

I have voluntarily taken them for the past 3-4 years. The vaccine is produced using chicken eggs so you cannot take them if you are allergic to chicken eggs.

Also the vaccine only can only 'hold' 3 (I think) different protections so even if you get the vaccine you can still get the flu, you just dont' get one of the three they select.

The CDC in Atlanta chooses each year which three flu strains they will go with, its a guessing game.

The only side effects I have noticed is that my arm muscles are sore the rest of the day after I receive the injection.

Hope this helps...
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, just got mine last week. FluVax for New CaledoniaType A' flu.

However in Aussie, its winter, and the flu is here. We get all the Asian strains etc. Some are brutal and kill hundreds of Australians every year.

I am only 41, but I just don't wanna get crook (Auslang for sick).

By the way, 4 days after the shot, I was pissing out my arse! Felt a slight case of the flu, but it passed in one day. Normally this virus lates about 7-10 days.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I used to get the flu shot and I always got sick.

The last several years I have skipped the shot and at most I get a little rundown and slight (100degree) temp. This lasts for about three days. With the middle day the worst. Not enough to stay home from work even. Rats.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Always get them. Only had one that didn't like me the swine flu shot in the mid seventies. Since then have had probly 99% success rate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:04:21 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm not a needle person. Put it in pill form and I'll think about it.

I do travel alot and seem to catch a few more colds than I used to but think thats mainly due to sleeping 2-4 hrs a day for a week, working and partying the rest of the time.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 8:37:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Yes, if you tend to get the flu and want to probably minimize the symptoms.  No, if you don’t usually get the flu.

I read a really good book recently about the 1918 flu epidemic.  That’s the one that killed a few million people.  One of the most important points I took away from the book is that half of the population doesn’t get the flu.  Their immune system is such that they just don’t seem to get it, regardless of the strain.  The math goes something like this:

If you get the shot, you are 80+% likely to get symptoms from the shot, though not as bad.  Those with the shot have a 50% chance of a reduction of, or no symptoms from the actual flu.  That means that if you get the shot, you can count on being sick in some context, and the shot is only 50% likely to get you out of the real thing.

On the other hand, if you don’t get the shot, you are only 50% likely to get the flu in any given year, although as mentioned earlier, that 50% tends to be the same 50% every year.  However if you are one of those lucky 50%, you are included in the 80% who are likely to get symptoms from the shot.

Another interesting point is the concept of getting sick from being run-down.  It seems that some viruses can reside in you in a dormant state.  They are awakened by a chemical change in a run-down immune system.  So, although you don’t get the virus by going out in the cold, you can come down with one by getting run-down.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Last chance for me to decide.  Free shots tomorrow at work.  Decisions decisions...

Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:36:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:41:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I get them at work for free. The only restriction I know of is that you cannot take them if you are allergic to chicken eggs.

The only side effect I have noticed, for some reason my arm is sore for a day, then  that clears up. At first I thouht this was my imagination but when I asked others they had the same side effect.

They are worth getting because various strains of the flu have killed many people worldwide.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:47:03 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, I'll get the shot.  If I get sick and die I'll send my guns to the UN.  [:P]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
They are mostly for people with weakened immune systems like senior citizens and drug users/alcoholics. Some people just can't take the risk of getting the flu, it may kill them instead of putting them out of commission for a week or two.

If you get sick easily I'd say get the shot. If not, just wash your hands frequently. Try not to rub your nose or eyes too much and give your desk, keyboard and mouse a spray of Lisol once a week.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been getting them for the last few years with no other side effects than a sore arm for the rest of the day.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:08:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
THEY ARE THE DEVILS WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!  IT IS THE GOVERMENT TRYING TO TAG US WITH MICROSCOPIC TRACERS THAT CAN BE READ AT ANY AIRPORT METAL DETECTOR AND RECIEVABLE BY SATELLITE SCANNER.  IT IS ALSO USED TO TURN OUR BRAIN INTO A GOVERMENT BRAIN WAVE RECEPTION DEVICE!!!
View Quote

I always thought the flu shot was the way the gubermint got our DNA to keep on file.  [peep]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Ok, I'll get the shot.  If I get sick and die I'll send my guns to the UN.  [:P]
View Quote

Uh, no, Ill stop by thursday to see if you are dead. [;)][:D]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#27]
I always get the free flu shot that they offer at work and I have never gotten the flu since I started taking them. The shot has never made me sick or even made my arm hurt. There are lots of people that think they will make you sick or feel bad, but its just a bunch of hogwash. It can't hurt ya, just get it.....

Michael
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:37:18 PM EDT
[#28]
the 2 times ive gotten the flue shot ive always gotten the flu from it

never agien
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:46:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Arrrg, now I'm not sure again. lol.  I've never received the flu shot and I haven't had the flu for years.  Guess I'm leaning toward not getting it again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 5:46:22 PM EDT
[#30]
For years I passed up the chance for a free flu shot at work.  Thought I should save the vaccine for the weak and elderly.  I always got the flu...every year (miserable).  Soooooooo, I decided to try it.  For the last five years I got the shot and did not get the flu all winter. Now I'm unemployed and don't have that opportunity.  Sure wish I did.  I would take that shot if I were you.  You won't be sorry!  [:)]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 6:17:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I get a flu shot each year.  I normally don't bruise easily, but a flu shot always leaves a nasty mark.  Other than that, no problems.

Live Free
Link Posted: 10/29/2001 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#33]
I never have gotten the shot... I haven't had the flu for as long as I can remember. I guess that's a "no"...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top