Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 4:23:27 AM EDT
I'm looking for a few flashlights to keep in the tool kits in our vehicles.  Something cheap enough I can put in there and forget about it but I want something that will work when I need it.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:37:40 AM EDT
[#1]
surefire g2 and a 4 pack tray of extra batteries. keep it simple
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 4:40:44 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I'm looking for a few flashlights to keep in the tool kits in our vehicles.  Something cheap enough I can put in there and forget about it but I want something that will work when I need it.  Any suggestions?
View Quote
If that's the case , whatever you get , leave the batteries out of it until you need it .

If you must leave the batteries in it , at least run Duracells ....Energizers have too many reports of corroding in place.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:31:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Honestly, for the cost and output of the G2's I've never seen the appeal.  I could get a Fenix with double the output for the same price.  I'm really looking for something around $20.00

Quoted:
If that's the case , whatever you get , leave the batteries out of it until you need it .

If you must leave the batteries in it , at least run Duracells ....Energizers have too many reports of corroding in place.

Good tip thanks.  I usually buy Duracell batteries for everything except my backpacking gear, they get Energizer lithium to save weight.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:44:54 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Honestly, for the cost and output of the G2's I've never seen the appeal.  I could get a Fenix with double the output for the same price.  I'm really looking for something around $20.00
Good tip thanks.  I usually buy Duracell batteries for everything except my backpacking gear, they get Energizer lithium to save weight.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

There is a myriad of cheap 150 - 300 lumen lights on the market now.

Costco, SAMs, Wal-Mart and Target all have them.  As well as Amazon, Home Depot, Lowes, farm stores, etc. Costco has a three pack of lights for $28 with batteries.

Some have parasitic loss of charge, so get a hunk of plastic and put it between the end cap switch and the batteries.  Then tell everybody that might be using them it's there.

You could also go with one of the "christmas" offerings by the various tool manufacturers. (The one from Cobalt looks cool.)

Most of these flashlights will both be better than the old bulb type and smaller.  They'll also likely be "good enough" for the purposes they are used 99% of the time.

Add in an EDC light that is your primary and you have your light and backup light adequately covered.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:52:49 AM EDT
[#5]
You can spend as much as you want, but Maglite LED ones are wonderful in my experience
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 5:58:10 AM EDT
[#6]
I keep a $6 maglite or a few of those $3 chinese lights from the amazon thread.
They're reliable enough (and I have a backup) and I don't feel bad giving them away if need be. IE, stumble across some guys changing tires at fuck o clock.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:04:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Home Depot has a $10 headlamp claiming 200 lumens-put 3 AA lithiums in it and you should be good to go.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:11:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:13:40 AM EDT
[#9]
here is your solution...
Amazon LED $4
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:16:27 AM EDT
[#10]
I would start with a headlamp, then back that up with a flashlight.

If you need light to work on anything, you're probably going to have your hands full already.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:17:34 AM EDT
[#11]
3D LED Maglite in my vehicles.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:17:45 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You can spend as much as you want, but Maglite LED ones are wonderful in my experience
View Quote

I have one of these plus a couple of smaller LED lights in my truck kit.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:19:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you need light to work on anything, you're probably going to have your hands full already.
View Quote

Huge +1 to this, all my vehicles tool kits have headlamps.  Good luck holding that flashlight while changing a tire.

Zach
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:23:00 AM EDT
[#14]
$4 FordEx flashlight on Amazon with a lithium battery, so it is less prone to failure in cold weather.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:26:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If can find some of these on sale over Christmas I might pick up a few, I know Lowe's has usually has good prices on them this time of year.

That looks like a nice light and the wide beam would probably be perfect for what I need but at around $30 I'm getting into the price range of the Fenix E25 which is hard to pass up.

Quoted:

Headlamp is covered.  I keep a Princton Tec Remix strapped to the headrest so my daughter has a reading light in the back.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:33:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Pretty much any of that "class" of flashlights people have been discussing are good to go. Just get some of the 10 yr shelf life duracell batteries and leave them out of the flashlight in some some sort of small container in the car and you have no worries
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:36:37 AM EDT
[#17]

A big-ass old-school Maglite with 3 D cells shoved under the drivers seat.

Doubles as a blunt instrument if needed.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:49:31 AM EDT
[#18]
How does the cold work on your batteries??   Ive heard the lithium are better for this, meaning cold temps draining the life of batteries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:50:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#20]
I keep a 3D maglight in the truck too. I have way better lights but like it for the extra perk of having some mass in my hand any time I get out of the truck at night. I actually have 4 flashlights in my truck. Two 1AA lights in the bug out bag plus the 3D maglight and a little headlamp type. IMHO, having options is always a good thing and lights are so cheap now days that it is a no brainer to have extras.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:42:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Do you really want a 100 or 200 lumen light blinding you when you're just trying to see whats wrong with your car?  Try this swivel-head Dorcy from Amazon:

It puts out more than enough light to fix what needs fixing, the head swivels so you can stand it on the ground and aim the light up at the lug nuts you're tightening, and it takes AA batteries.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

A good point I hadn't thought of.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 7:46:57 AM EDT
[#23]
I keep one of these in every car I own, a couple hanging in the basement for power failures, and in the bedroom.

Don't even open the packaging until you need it.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Rayovac-VB1DLED-B2A-Rayovac-Value-Bright-1D-LED-Flashlight-2-Pack/22086107
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:06:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do you really want a 100 or 200 lumen light blinding you when you're just trying to see whats wrong with your car?  Try this swivel-head Dorcy from Amazon:

http://i42.tinypic.com/2r78uu8.jpg

It puts out more than enough light to fix what needs fixing, the head swivels so you can stand it on the ground and aim the light up at the lug nuts you're tightening, and it takes AA batteries.
View Quote

No, I really don't want a high lumen light but I don't want to pay the same price for a low lumen light either.  I'll look into to the Dorcy and the Rayovac 2 pack that was posted also.  Both of those seem like decent options and the Dorcy swivel head seems like it would be a handy feature.

ETA:  Is the magnet strong enough to hold the to the side of the vehicle or upside down under the hood?  The Amazon reviews said the magnet was too weak.
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 9:11:46 AM EDT
[#25]
I got a pair of those magnetic blue point lights off the snap on truck a few years ago(Part#

ECFLED24).  One in the tool box and one in the car.  They still have the original batteries in them and both still work great.

The magnet in the base is pretty strong.  Just slap that thing to the hood, turn on, aim, and there's your light source.  Don't remember how much I paid but I don't think they're expensive.

Link Posted: 12/11/2013 11:21:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Foursevens

probably want a lithium (CR123) model since the light will be stored in your vehicle for X amount of time.

Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Foursevens-ML-AE-1XCR123A-216-Lumen-Finish/dp/B00915B72A

http://www.foursevens.com/products/ML-AE

If you want an AA light:

http://www.amazon.com/Foursevens-M2A-AE-216-Lumen-White-Finish/dp/B00915CZ4Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1386793679&sr=1-1&keywords=Mini+.M2A

extra batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Pack-Boxed-Lithium-Batteries/dp/B0035HB694/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1386793367&sr=1-2-catcorr&keywords=SF12-BB
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 11:47:56 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I agreee completely. I prefer fenix and actually a few other lights all over surefires as well. However, I've yet to see any light maybe with teh exception of some of the Petzl .mil models hold up anywhere nearly as well to the non stop daily abuse of constantly getting smacked around inside a toolbox while riding aroudn all day in traffic, going from days of 100 degree heat to in the back of truck in summer to 12-14 degrees right now in the winter, constantly getting soaking wet, bounced around etc. the way those stupid G2 models do.

I had both my Pelican Duty light, and a pair of different Pelican dive lights all crap out on me just from sitting around in my car for probably 12-16 months at a time doing nothing.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:01:34 PM EDT
[#28]
I should also add, just in my tiny little car and what I generally keep on my person, espeically in the winter, I tend to have probably 8-9 flashlights of some type when all said and done.
as others have pointed out, that's the real right answer, if were just gonna be honest here.
I have about 6 of the amazon 4$ amazon cree lights all floating around one place or another (I have two sitting 3 inches from me right now that I just used to tighten the cam chain tensioner of my car a little while ago,  wwith a constant rotations of 16340 and 14500 being charged and restocked ready to go. I have my work lights of course, in my car I keep a nice quality LED.

I also have about 10 or so dx, countycomm, and CPF lights of all different flavors and styles that I will grab whenever I need a serious light for whaetever reason

Then I metric shit ton of the countycomm SOLeds, with about a billion replacement leds and batteries which honeslty I use probably as my second most common light both at home and work. those things are great.
Finally as others have pointed out, really nothing beats a good quality headlamp. In fact nothign even comes close to be honest.
I have a couple of The petzl tactical or or .mil or whatever they call them which are great lamps, and as someone else I think said above. There is an energivzer brand headlamp that I thenk they sell at home depot which is a 4 mode adjustable lamp that lets you choose from a dual led strobe setting, to a wide beam then all 4 LEDS and finally a Red lamp. Which quite frankly is one of hte best damn headlamps ive ever owned anywhere.
This includes the 3-400 dollar dive lamps I have had a bunch of as well at the petzl lights which require you to swap out lenses on most of their lamps if you want to go between a wide throw and anarrow white or a white to red etc. which is just annoying.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#29]

A fella should always have a good fleshlight handy.

Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:08:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Get a headlamp.  

If you've ever held a flashlight in your mouth, or propped a flashlight up on something so it was shining in the right spot, or yelled at your kid (or girlfriend or buddy) for not holding the flashlight "right here" you should have had a headlamp.

ETA:  I would recommend Zebralight.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:30:32 PM EDT
[#32]
First off never make your vehicle flashlight choice one based on cheap.  You can buy a Streamlight poly tac LED for as little as $30 or so.  It's got a clicky tailcap so you can put it up and expect it to work when you need it 5 or 6 years from now.  Nothing sucks more than grabbing your cheap ass AA AAA AAAA C D or whatever battery light only to find the batteries blew up and the light is dicked when you need it.   On the headlamp, yeah they're nice to have too.  Just make sure you rotate the batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top