Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/15/2011 12:45:16 PM EDT
Occasionally the O/D Off light will start flashing on my '95 Toyota 4runner. When it does, it feels like the car is stuck in 3rd gear which makes acceleration difficult. It only lasts a minute or two and then the light stops flashing and the acceleration returns to normal. Anybody have any idea what this could be?

I plan on taking it in to be looked at by Toyota when I get the chance but thought I would see what you all think in the mean time.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 1:45:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't know much about that particular  transmission, but the O\D lamp is like a check engine light for the transmission.

It detected some kind of failure and the third gear feeling is a default mode, it locks into a gear with the shift solenoids off and stays that way until the fault clears. All you can really do is check connections and wiring for damage, especially around the exhaust. Unplug connectors and look for signs of corrosion, and make sure the connectors snap in tight. Much more than that, and you need a scan tool to pinpoint the issue. Check the fluid condition and it might indicate an internal failure versus an electrical falut.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:05:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I don't know much about that particular  transmission, but the O\D lamp is like a check engine light for the transmission.

It detected some kind of failure and the third gear feeling is a default mode, it locks into a gear with the shift solenoids off and stays that way until the fault clears. All you can really do is check connections and wiring for damage, especially around the exhaust. Unplug connectors and look for signs of corrosion, and make sure the connectors snap in tight. Much more than that, and you need a scan tool to pinpoint the issue. Check the fluid condition and it might indicate an internal failure versus an electrical falut.

Interesting. I'll have to get out there and take a look at those connectors once it stops raining. Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 7:15:10 AM EDT
[#3]
not a toyota but we had an impala at work that would do that occasionally, turned out to be some kind of a transmission sensor. It would seem to do it when we would drive slow for a extended period of time. may want to see if you can find somewhere cheap/free like autozone that will scan the computer for codes.

J-
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
not a toyota but we had an impala at work that would do that occasionally, turned out to be some kind of a transmission sensor. It would seem to do it when we would drive slow for a extended period of time. may want to see if you can find somewhere cheap/free like autozone that will scan the computer for codes.

J-

The times that it has happened to me I was either completely stopped or driving slow (neighborhoods). Very interesting. I think i'll try to take it in today to get looked at at get to the bottom of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2011 3:23:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Don't be surprised if the local Autozone or Advance can't give you the powertrain error codes.  I took my wife's Explorer there and they were unable to read the powertrain codes.  Engine codes yes, but no luck on the transmission codes.  But it's free, so give it a try.  Your store just might have the reader to get those codes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top