Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 7/31/2002 11:57:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2002 11:58:19 AM EDT by Marksman762]
Hey guys, I just wanted to share that I had my first solo flight today!! I turned 16 today, and after a storm cleared out, I went up with the instructor and did touch and goes for almost an hour. After that, I booted him out of the plane and flew for another half hour myself! I'm excited!(If you can't tell) Just wanted to share this.. -Marksman Edited to add: The aircraft was a Cessna 172.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:02:58 PM EDT
Sweet! I can't wait to get my feet off the ground. I'm not going the powered aircraft route, tho, I'm going to learn hanggliding. No flight could be as free (except for, maybe, falling!). Congrats on the solo! You'll remember that flight the rest of your life! Fly safe! M@
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:03:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2002 12:05:03 PM EDT by Greenhorn]
COOL! A fellow pilot. I solo'd (or solod, or soloed. . .whatever) about a year ago, but with college I unfortunately haven't taken any more lessons for quite a while. It's sure fun. I have about 23 hours logged so far. Oh, and while soloing I did some zero-G maneuvers. Ever try those? They're fun. Congrads! Edited to add (Really, I'm not just copying you), I soloed in a C-150.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:16:45 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:17:55 PM EDT
Now, make sure... that you will not stray into restricted air space.....[:D]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:21:14 PM EDT
Over here in SW Ohio it costs about $75/hr with instructor, and something like $53/hr with the instructor
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:24:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:30:30 PM EDT
I just started up my private again. i got about 10 hours more to go, just need knock out cross countries. BTW, whatd you get on your written?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 12:51:35 PM EDT
Congrats!! I'm hoping to solo next weekend. I've got 11 hours under my belt already. I've already passed the FAA written for my private and am 1/2 way through ground school for my Instrument rating. I'm flying a Warrior out of Patrick Air Force Base (I work there). I'm paying about $55 or $65 per hour (wet) for the plane and $22 an hour for the flight instructor. I'm taking classes under 141 rules so at 35 hours I can take my check ride! [b][red][i]Libertas an Mortis!![/b][/red][/i]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:02:09 PM EDT
BTW, whatd you get on your written?
View Quote
I passed with flying colors. [:D] I didn't even know I was taking it! He gave me a sheet and told me to work on it and a few days after I turned it in, he told me it was my written test, I was shocked! I'm not taking ground school either, I study on my own with the Jep. manual and questions, obviously I'm doing well with that. :) I just think its cool that I have my student license when I'm only 16! I recieved this BEFORE my drivers license, which I get tomorrow. :) Thanks for the replies! -Marksman [(:)]
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:16:45 PM EDT
Congrats!!!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:24:15 PM EDT
I remember my first solo. The instructor and I flew for a short while, and then he said, "I'm sorry, but I'm about to piss my pants. Let's land and then we'll go back up." I landed and he jumped out. Then he looked at me and said, "Why don't you go do 3 or 4 touch and go's while I'm gone. I knew then that the peeing thing was just a ruse. My heart jumped into my throat, and I was real nervous without an instructor next to me. But I did the takeoff, the touch and go's, and the final landing all by myself. I felt like I could walk on water after that. The smile on my face made my head hurt!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:46:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 1:58:46 PM EDT
Congrats!! Major, major accomplishment, especially being such a young pup to boot!! Just remember to fly safe. vmax84 http://community.webshots.com/photo/17803617/24507111qWTKZGKEcf I love flying.
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:41:26 PM EDT
congrats! so, is it still 'tradition' to give up your shirt after the solo?
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 4:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/31/2002 5:01:17 PM EDT by Citabria7GCBC]
That is a huge step bro! congrats! i remember mine..NOVEMBER 19th 2000 (Nov. 18th, my b-day, was bad weather soooo i had to wait.) what did you solo in? i Soloed 4Citabrias 2 C-172s, 1 super decatholon, and 1 C-152. infact,iam going out to the airport this weekend!
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:00:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By eswanson: To you pilots, I'm sure it varies from location to location, but what did your flying lessons run you? I'm interested in taking lessons and would like to know how much it's costing. Do they hit you for extras for fuel, time in the aircraft, stuff like that? Thanks.
View Quote
depends on the aircraft. Citabrias Dual time is $100.00 and Solo is $79.00
Link Posted: 7/31/2002 5:02:48 PM EDT
Congratulations! I can also remember the feeling. Its the same feeling for every new aircraft you learn to fly but the first is always the best. Welcome to the club. Its a great career by the way if you are interested in that. Its what I've been doing for 20 years and I couldn't imagine doing anything else.
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 5:37:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 5:39:43 AM EDT by Hipower]
Originally Posted By 7IDL: congrats! so, is it still 'tradition' to give up your shirt after the solo?
View Quote
Only if you want to be a pilot. ;-) The local fight school here is producing airplane "drivers" and is well on the way to stomping out this tradition. :-( My wife is taking lessons there with a friend of mine who is a Army CWO rotor head, UH1 and OH1 instructor pilot and comes from the old school. The young ERAU CFI grads nearly tripped over their own jaws when he shirtailed my wife after her first solo. I'd been warning her for weeks to be ready, so she had on an old t-shirt (over a nice lacy bra). She also had a spare shirt ready in her flight bag so she didn't have to walk around "in the breeze". I think traditions like these are important to make you feel part of something. ;-) Almost forgot to add Congrats to Marksman. Keep at it and knock out the XC and night requirements and you'll be ready for your check ride in no time!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 7:14:56 AM EDT
Congrats, Marksman762. That is really awesome. I've wanted to get my Private Pilot cert. for a long time. I picked up the Cessna Computer Based Training for my birthday one year and then didn't have the fundage to do any flying. Last year, I got permission to take the introductory flight on my birthday. THEN, some POS Arabs f-ed up my birthday (9/11). I haven't gotten to start, yet. Needless to say, I've been pretty cranky for nearly a year. Fly safely and often. Lager, -SGT SETI
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 9:23:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By 7IDL: so, is it still 'tradition' to give up your shirt after the solo?
View Quote
The little airport where I learned to fly, DCY, had a practice where the shirttails of each student who soloed were hung on the wall in the terminal lounge. When I walked in there for the first time, saw all those pieces of shirts adorned with the students' names, dates of solo, and other graffiti, I immediately became super-motivated to learn to fly. I wanted my shirttail with my name on that wall. In the summer of 1989 I got my place on the wall!
Link Posted: 8/1/2002 11:47:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2002 12:01:50 PM EDT by ARgurl]
Hey, congrats Marksman!! I bet you really cant wait until you get your cross country license now, huh?[;)]
Top Top