Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 8:55:43 PM EDT
I just picked up some single shot double break no. 500 mortars.  No odea what kind of bang I'm looking at here aside from assuming there will be two bangs.

How are these things rated?  I'm guessing 500 has to do with the powder but is that just the final bang?  If it's a double break does that mean 250+250 or 500 each?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Take one out back and set it off and report back
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:02:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just picked up some single shot double break no. 500 mortars.  No odea what kind of bang I'm looking at here aside from assuming there will be two bangs.

How are these things rated?  I'm guessing 500 has to do with the powder but is that just the final bang?  If it's a double break does that mean 250+250 or 500 each?
View Quote

500 grams is the largest amount of powder any single consumer firework can have.

What manufacturer?  There is probably a video of it on you tube.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#3]
rule of thumb is 100 feet of clearance per 1 inch of tube diameter.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:05:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

500 grams is the largest amount of powder any single consumer firework can have.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ill have to check on that but I can't even find a 500 gram double break video.  I mean, I probably found a nunch but they didn't have a size listed.

I'd test fire one but I'm in a subdivision right now and I've only got 8 shells.  Gonna test fire one tonorrow at my sisters place.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:07:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's actually amazingly accurate. Be safe and get the fuck back. I'd even put spectators much farther back than that.

Edit
You're not going to get a single shell that's 500 grams. Those are kick ass multie shell/tube repeaters. No need to test Fire. Treat your mortars with much respect. Light the fuse and run away. Make sure the shell slides easily into tube. If it doesn't. Stop. Keep spectsrors far away. The break on the explosion can be 200 feet plus

You don't want one breaking 20 in the air with spectators 50 away. Ask me how I know. Treat them with serious respect and be safe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#6]
This bad boy is going to be part of my finale this year.  

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Set off an 8" Grand Finale mortar and get back to us.

Otherwise..... BORING.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:40:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Otherwise..... BORING.
View Quote

We aren't all licensed shooters you know.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:53:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Otherwise..... BORING.

I was gonna say.  8 inches is damn big. 2-3 is more my style and what I can get my hands on.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 9:57:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's actually amazingly accurate. Be safe and get the fuck back. I'd even put spectators much farther back than that.

Edit
You're not going to get a single shell that's 500 grams. Those are kick ass multie shell/tube repeaters. No need to test Fire. Treat your mortars with much respect. Light the fuse and run away. Make sure the shell slides easily into tube. If it doesn't. Stop. Keep spectsrors far away. The break on the explosion can be 200 feet plus

You don't want one breaking 20 in the air with spectators 50 away. Ask me how I know. Treat them with serious respect and be safe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Something I'd like to add about mortars. Make sure they're on a solid level surface to make sure they don't tip over, especially multiple tube/repeaters. Honestly I think the bases on most consumer grade mortars are terribly inadequate.
Had some friends one year light a 4 shot rack. It had legs that extended to keep it from tipping. Of course they didn't bother and after the first shot the rack, predictably, tipped over and they were dodging 2" shells.
Despite their inability to follow directions, they blamed the firework and declared it unsafe.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#11]
I like those salute mortar shells they set off at the firework shows. Would be awesome to have a whole show with nothing but salutes.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:01:16 PM EDT
[#12]
A former boss was liscenced and did shows at his farm.
A 10" shell is like a bowling ball
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:02:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Been hunting down videos of the fireworks I picked up this year, since its the first year we can legally set them off at a site here.  Figure that.. Pahrump has 4 fireworks stores and we could buy them but not shoot them off.. anyway this year that changed.

I picked up a few of these, they are 500 gram double break shells from Winda. Here is the video I found of them.. not my vid just a random one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hK0XeMQdaHM
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:04:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Something I'd like to add about mortars. Make sure they're on a solid level surface to make sure they don't tip over, especially multiple tube/repeaters. Honestly I think the bases on most consumer grade mortars are terribly inadequate.
Had some friends one year light a 4 shot rack. It had legs that extended to keep it from tipping. Of course they didn't bother and after the first shot the rack, predictably, tipped over and they were dodging 2" shells.
Despite their inability to follow directions, they blamed the firework and declared it unsafe.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Two inch shells aren't consumer fireworks.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#15]
DIY.  Only answer unless you get a license, have a bunker and pay the man.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

I like those salute mortar shells they set off at the firework shows. Would be awesome to have a whole show with nothing but salutes.j
View Quote
Real Atfe shoot.  Getting flash components is a bear, making thunder salutes is nerve racking.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh and while we are on the topic of fireworks.. check out these displays, you will NOT be disappointed.  These are INSANE, almost like artillery barrages.   Its as if the whole show is the finale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAlS5QYJjqk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGf5ePo0ABQ
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:27:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Oh and while we are on the topic of fireworks.. check out these displays, you will NOT be disappointed.  These are INSANE, almost like artillery barrages.   Its as if the whole show is the finale

View Quote

Holy shit that was awesome.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:34:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

The part of Houston I live, that is exactly what it sounds like. I love it.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:37:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Another safety tip.

Do NOT position yourself over the tube when loading in a new mortar. All it takes is one ember to burn through that thin paper at the bottom of the lift charge and you're eating a 2" shell.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#21]
500 grams I believe is what that number is for
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:43:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Another safety tip.

Do NOT position yourself over the tube when loading in a new mortar. All it takes is one ember to burn through that thin paper at the bottom of the lift charge and you're eating a 2" shell.
View Quote

I treat the tube the same as a firearm. Doesn't cover anything I don't want destroyed. Like my face or hand.

Regarding a base. If you don't have ample concrete then get some very sturdy base for it. If your base is grass you're asking for very bad shit to happen.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:50:34 PM EDT
[#23]
Went to 4" long ago, until some stuff happened with my source, after that it was never the same.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

I always brace my tubes with cinder blocks for that very reason.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:02:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Take one out back and set it off and report back
View Quote

This.

Light it up and get it on video:

God I love that one..
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:06:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Smart and safe man. Same here. Even small repeaters I'll put bricks around them. When they tip over you're gonna have a very bad time. Highly dangerous.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Edit

Well maybe 1 7/8". To be honest I've never measured a typical #200 tube. Besides I thought limits were based on content rather than size.
You can go on phantoms site and they have 3" tubes listed.
Either way I can assure you they were consumer grade
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:24:25 PM EDT
[#28]
so much more fun when used like hand grenades....
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:39:40 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Otherwise..... BORING.
View Quote

Got to shoot 10's and a 12 one year. Pretty sure I came.

Next night it trained all day. The pyro was protected, but the humidity got into everything.  Had them going off in the tubes, low breaks, weak charges launching a 6" salute only about 200' up and having it land a whole 20 feet in front of us THEN bursting.  Fucking nightmare. I still have the T-shirt I was wearing when I was hit by a star in the chest.

Good times.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
so much more fun when used like hand grenades....
View Quote

I'm sure you are joking, but for less informed readers, ATF defines the motor rounds as DDs unless they are used as intended.  Admitting to using one without the tube could lead to a felony arrest.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Double break means 2 booms per shell.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:56:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Since we are throwing out safety tips.  Do NOT use pvc as a launch tube.  It becomes shrapnel if there is a mishap.  

HDPE, fiberglass, or the heavy cardboard only.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:08:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Another safety tip.

View Quote

These are all one shot preloaded tubes.

Phantom is the maker.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:52:04 AM EDT
[#34]
I generally shoot 2.5 and 3" mortars. 3" being the max safe size for your typical "yard show" IMO. I cordon off a 150ft circle to keep things safe. Never had an issue. I place the tubes in 5 gal buckets anchored with sand. Love the 3" they pack a MEAN blast when they exit the tube ! The mortars I buy have both the electronic and the traditional type fuses. You need to be on your game when you light the fuse as it travels at 2400 fps ! I have 16" long grill lighters so I can keep a safe distance from the tube. Anything bigger than 3's  I think will just draw too much attention from the po. Keep it reasonable, keep it safe , and keep it going for years to come.  Had a bad situation in my town several years ago from a large 4th party (not mine) that got out of control and a couple people got seriously burned. Excessive alcohol was a factor... be cognoscente of your surroundings and be safe !
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:00:30 AM EDT
[#35]
here is some info on the #500 Preloads.  
http://www.pyrouniverse.com/forum/showthread.php/40867-500-shell-vs-artillery-shells

basically a 2 3/4" shell .
most of those 9 shot "3 inch cakes" have 9 of these shots in them.
there are no True 3" consumer fireworks.
that #500 is that largest consumer FW available legally
I would not pay phantoms pricing for those even at buy one get one.
here are 24 slightly larger single shot tubes in a case for a much better price than phantoms.
http://www.76fireworks.com/fireworks_videos/Tubes/TB106_100_Brothers_Assorted_2_38_Shells

dont get too caught up in the "numbers on the tubes"
there are many versions and Most Manufacturers use different lingo for some of the same things.
u will see many single shot tubes called #500 #300 #5 #100 and so on.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 3:14:56 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I generally shoot 2.5 and 3" mortars. 3" being the max safe size for your typical "yard show" IMO. I cordon off a 150ft circle to keep things safe. Never had an issue. I place the tubes in 5 gal buckets anchored with sand. Love the 3" they pack a MEAN blast when they exit the tube ! The mortars I buy have both the electronic and the traditional type fuses. You need to be on your game when you light the fuse as it travels at 2400 fps ! I have 16" long grill lighters so I can keep a safe distance from the tube. Anything bigger than 3's  I think will just draw too much attention from the po. Keep it reasonable, keep it safe , and keep it going for years to come.  Had a bad situation in my town several years ago from a large 4th party (not mine) that got out of control and a couple people got seriously burned. Excessive alcohol was a factor... be cognoscente of your surroundings and be safe !
View Quote

70' clearance per inch of diameter was what we were required to use.  150' circle implies 75' radius=WELL under recommended for 2.5 & 3" mortars.  It's your call to make, but if there's an accident your insurance company might get snitty.

As for fusing, if you are using the paper-wrapped type, you can slow it down by stripping the paper off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top