Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/19/2004 6:57:01 PM EDT
I was just over at the State Department web site, and they state, "Do not bring firearms or ammunition into Mexico without written permission from the Mexican Government." (emphasis mine).

So, Does anyone have any idea what this "written permission" would be, or how to get it, or even find out if it's possible?

I'm scouring websites on Mexico as we speak, but you know what they say about the internet....

ETA: And NO, I don't plan on bringing so much as a PICTURE of a weapon into Mexico unless I have some kind of solid-gold permission slip from whoever it is can issue it. I'm not crazy!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:59:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Good idea.  Just the phrase "Mexican prison" scares the bejesus out of me.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
I will never set foot in Mexico.........unless I'm kicking all the illegals out of this country!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:04:15 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have much of a choice. My next job may very well be as Quality Manager at one of the Maquiladoras.

I'm actually looking forward to it. I just want to see if there is ANY legal way to pack down there. I doubt it, but I want to be sure.

Oh, and Raven: AMEN. Scares the hell out of me, too!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#4]
you can get away with anything you like in mexico, as long as you have enough money to bribe whoever catches you. or you *ahem* eliminate any and all  make sure there weren't witnesses.YSMV(your situation may vary)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd ask these guys first.   www.sre.gob.mx/eua/English/Defaulte.htm

Click on contact info.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:11:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for that link, Ugly....
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:13:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I would bet that with enough money and the right connections you could pack whatever you want. How you do that, I dont know.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:19:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Several of my friends have had problems in Mexico. Most just pay their way out of it, one was beaten by the police for no apparent reason he was not even drunk.
The worst was what happened to a guy I know. He had a run in with the Mexican "Police" during spring break. He didn't make it back for 3 months and was stabbed in jail.

From all the stories like, "I shit so much I could not wipe anymore I had to take a shower to clean my ass" to I got stabbed and missed half a year of school I have decided  that Mexico sounds like a real shithole. If you have to go be careful and wear soem cheap jewelry or a watch to use as bribe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I don't have much of a choice. My next job may very well be as Quality Manager at one of the Maquiladoras.

I'm actually looking forward to it. I just want to see if there is ANY legal way to pack down there. I doubt it, but I want to be sure.

From MY understanding, the little people can legally own 22LR rifles for dispatching varmins, but as always, check with the Mexican govt to see if this has changed. The US govt can't help you if you run afoul with Mexican law, the Mexicans have a great disdain for Americans ever since Gen. Pershing's invasion of Mexico a few years back. Mexico only wants your Yankee dollar and nothing else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:39:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have camped in mexico overnight about 20 times as well as other trips. do not flash cash, it is best to look poor, and have a reliable but POS looking vehicle. we drove with stolen plates and stashed the real ones. do not smoke dope in your vehicle. be able to improvise weapons and if in an altercation leave no witnesses standing able to identify you or your vehicle. lay low and be respectful. there are some genuinely nice people there, but when it gets bad it gets really BAD. Enter at your own risk.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#11]
remember...

they dont have OUR BILL O RIGHTS down there...

i've been there 3 times...decided a 4th isnt needed in my lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:45:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have camped in mexico overnight about 20 times as well as other trips. do not flash cash, it is best to look poor, and have a reliable but POS looking vehicle. we drove with stolen plates and stashed the real ones. do not smoke dope in your vehicle. be able to improvise weapons and if in an altercation leave no witnesses standing able to identify you or your vehicle. lay low and be respectful. there are some genuinely nice people there, but when it gets bad it gets really BAD. Enter at your own risk.

I wonder how big of a reward the Mexican government is offering for information leading to your capture!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Having much your same military and professional background, I would not take a job in Mexico.  No matter how much I was offered.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:54:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a cousin who spent six months in a Tijuana prison after having firearm parts found in his truck during a vehicle inspection in Nogales. He is a Baptist missionary that works in Mexico and drove down to have his vehicle inspected to renew his tag. He forgot about the 1911 slide that a friend had given him when he was at his home in southern AZ a couple of weeks prior. The family spent just over $37,000 to buy him out. He had a bad case of amebic dysentary but thinks the whole thing was a mission from god.

I don't travel to third world countries anymore.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:00:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I certainly can't speak for the rest of the country, but the folks that work at the plants and live in the States have had a uniformly un-exciting tone to their experiences.

All I plan to do is drive in for work, and drive home. The plant is less than 5 miles from the border, and has its own security force. The foreginers aren't bothered so long as you don't do something stupid.

I have no intention of touring the place outside of work unless I can be reasonably assured of not having a story to post here later.

Hell, my Ops colleague is IRISH, for Pete's sake! At least I speak the damned language!

We'll see, I suppose. I'll post anything I learn, firearms-related or not, dealing with travelling in Mexico for whoever might need it. Hopefully, I won't have to do it from a jail cell..
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:00:49 PM EDT
[#16]

I wonder how big of a reward the Mexican government is offering for information leading to your capture!

No Commento!

I've pressed my luck waaaay too many times I see no reason to go back

Remember-no witnesses

worst I ever got(CAUGHT) was busted by the federales for alcohol in public(wasn't me.. it was my friend) god thing I had most of my money in my shoe.

and the time I walked off from our campsite drunk headlong into a cactus
ever pick cactus spines from your face?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:08:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Remember that guy that had a 12 gauge round on the floor of his car and went to jail? He was later returned to the USA only to have his Firearms rights taken away because of a felony in mexico. WTF?

Ok here is some of what I found on another site.

Thomas Lamar Bean, a federally licensed gun dealer who left a gunshow in Texas to have dinner across the border in Mexico. Unbeknownst to him, there was a case of shotgun shells in the back of his SUV that an employee had failed to unload. It is bad mojo to cross into Mexico with live ammo. He was arrested, charged, and sentenced.

After some period of time, Mr. Bean was transferred to a prison in Texas where he served time for the crime that is not a crime in the U.S. As a result of this, once released he lost his right to possess arms, his Federal Firearms License, and his livelihood.

In accordance to the rules, he petitioned the BATF for restoration of his right to arms - for some reason, the BATF has the primary authority to do this. But for some reason, the Congress had specifically zeroed the funding for that function, and the BATF was unable to process his request.

So Mr. Bean took his case to Federal court, where - by the rules - if his petition was rejected by the BATF he could go for final recourse. The lower court restored his rights. The evil gun-loving Ashkkkroft-controlled Justice Dept. appealed to the evil Right-Wing controlled Supreme Court. (Odd, don't you think?) The Supreme Court rejected Mr. Bean's claim because, it said, the BATF DIDN'T reject the original petition, it was merely unable to process it.

So Mr. Bean still has no right to arms, and no FFL, and cannot legally touch a firearm because he accidentally tried to cross the Mexican border with some 12 gauge ammo in his truck.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:11:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I have hunted in Mexico and it is not that big a deal.  Taking in arms is not a problem, and if done correctly, requires no special skills or bribery - bribery is much more of a problem in countries further south.  I have always encountered my problems coming out of the country.  US Customs is a b**ch, and assumes your docs are fake.  I have lost 1 shotgun to Mexican officials for a reason I to this date do not understand.  Keep in mind Mexico is in the middle of a civil war (Chiapas being the worst state.)

Is your plant on the border or further S. in the interior?  Most of the majulidores (sp) are in border towns or Monterrey.  If you're heading to a border town, wait till you get there to get your letters/ documents.  US law enforcement, at least in TX are easy to deal with.  You need a letter from your Chief of Police/ Sheriff saying you are of good character.  You submit that to the Mexican Dept. of Justice with the serial # of all weapons you wish to take (cvilian weapons only, no handguns).  Once you receive permission from Mexico you have to complete ATFE form to show you are leaving with weapons and will return same weapons to US.  Last time it took me about 90 days.  Have to complete process for each crossing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:17:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Sheet, one time we left TJ in the pouring rain, didn't leave $1 for the cab ride back to the border from La Revolutio'n, hiking thru the ghettoes in the wee hours, and making it back to the car, never passing customs, or crossing a fence, just hiking thru dirt(mud) and having no clue how we got home? still one of the major mysteries in my life, I could have brought 100 amigos with me
Circa 1991

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:18:00 PM EDT
[#20]
A friend of the family was arrested for having a few rds of .45 ACP under the seat during the random checks during the border crossing into mexico..

cop asked for 1000 cash US to let him go ... guy said all I have is $500..

cop said "OK" extended hand then took the money ... then arrested him.

said that was not enough and was put in jail.

Guys family ended up paying just over 15 grand in bribes and he was out of jail in just 2 months time also lost his 94 dodge 4x4 ext cab...  when asked. no one knew anything about it.!

My Dad and I were allowed to walk away and go back over the bridge back to the US .. reason? when I was being patted down the "FEDERALIE"<sp> saw my USMC tatto and said I could go .... took another $100 to get him to release my dad.  

American plates are NOT a good Idea.. you get NO protection..

this was in Laredo in '95   bridge # 1 ..

dont do it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

the princely sum of 2000 pesos, but you have to go down there to testify
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:20:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Do not attempt to take any weapons, weapon parts, ammo or casings (or anything related including a holster) into Mexico.  You will end up with a minimum of 6 months (if your lucky) in jail.  None of the Mexican States bordering Arizona & California will even allow long rifles for hunting to cross.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:21:57 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have hunted in Mexico and it is not that big a deal.  Taking in arms is not a problem, and if done correctly, requires no special skills or bribery - bribery is much more of a problem in countries further south.  I have always encountered my problems coming out of the country.  US Customs is a b**ch, and assumes your docs are fake.  I have lost 1 shotgun to Mexican officials for a reason I to this date do not understand.  Keep in mind Mexico is in the middle of a civil war (Chiapas being the worst state.)

Is your plant on the border or further S. in the interior?  Most of the majulidores (sp) are in border towns or Monterrey.  If you're heading to a border town, wait till you get there to get your letters/ documents.  US law enforcement, at least in TX are easy to deal with.  You need a letter from your Chief of Police/ Sheriff saying you are of good character.  You submit that to the Mexican Dept. of Justice with the serial # of all weapons you wish to take (cvilian weapons only, no handguns).  Once you receive permission from Mexico you have to complete ATFE form to show you are leaving with weapons and will return same weapons to US.  Last time it took me about 90 days.  Have to complete process for each crossing.

MX does not permit military CALIBERS IIRC, so no .308, .223, 9mm, .45ACP, etc...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:22:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

the princely sum of 2000 pesos, but you have to go down there to testify

Would that even cover the cab ride to and from the airport?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:38:10 PM EDT
[#25]
I guess I'll just shut up before I incriminate myself(LOL) I have  waaaay too many mexico stories to tell including surfing some uncrowded waves and me on video in one of the biggest days ever to hit baja mexico, Dean Randazzo(Jersey boy) got the waves of the day huge, solid 10'-12' top to bottom  mexican grinder barrels.(sorry can't find online photos)

all the uncrowded waves were worth it.

I guess I shouldn't go back, I got away with my life too many times
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I will never set foot in Mexico.........unless I'm kicking all the illegals out of this country!!

+1
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Ummmm...... I would be working in Mexico, but no way would I be living there, so I'm going in and out DAILY!

No handguns? DAMN!

Not surprised, though, really....

Oh. What about knives?

Sticks?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:23:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Dude,

You don't want to take anything that can be remotely used as a weapon across.

There was an FFL several years back that had his assitant clean out the truck so they could cross at one of the smaller towns to get some lunch, Federales found A box of shotgun shells under a seat, and the FFL went to Mexican prison for over 2 years, plus lost his FFL here in the US because he was convicted of a Felony ANYWHERE, ie. in Mexico.  This case got quite a bit of attention because of the efforts of some in Congress to help him get his license to do business back.

The city of Nuevo Laredo has an ordinance against the carrying of pocket knives.  Don't even carry your little Swiss Army knife with you.

This is what I do RELIGOUSLY when I cross.

I empty my pockets and take only my ID, 1 key for my vehicle, and the money I plan on spending when I am across.  That's it.

Remember, your rights end at the water.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm not ever going to that shithole of a country. I've heard too many people who have been arrested and imprisoned just for having ammo in their car that they'd forgotten was there. I'd hate to know what happens when you get caught with an entire working firearm.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Remember that guy that had a 12 gauge round on the floor of his car and went to jail? He was later returned to the USA only to have his Firearms rights taken away because of a felony in mexico. WTF?

Ok here is some of what I found on another site.

Thomas Lamar Bean, a federally licensed gun dealer who left a gunshow in Texas to have dinner across the border in Mexico. Unbeknownst to him, there was a case of shotgun shells in the back of his SUV that an employee had failed to unload. It is bad mojo to cross into Mexico with live ammo. He was arrested, charged, and sentenced.

After some period of time, Mr. Bean was transferred to a prison in Texas where he served time for the crime that is not a crime in the U.S. As a result of this, once released he lost his right to possess arms, his Federal Firearms License, and his livelihood.

In accordance to the rules, he petitioned the BATF for restoration of his right to arms - for some reason, the BATF has the primary authority to do this. But for some reason, the Congress had specifically zeroed the funding for that function, and the BATF was unable to process his request.

So Mr. Bean took his case to Federal court, where - by the rules - if his petition was rejected by the BATF he could go for final recourse. The lower court restored his rights. The evil gun-loving Ashkkkroft-controlled Justice Dept. appealed to the evil Right-Wing controlled Supreme Court. (Odd, don't you think?) The Supreme Court rejected Mr. Bean's claim because, it said, the BATF DIDN'T reject the original petition, it was merely unable to process it.

So Mr. Bean still has no right to arms, and no FFL, and cannot legally touch a firearm because he accidentally tried to cross the Mexican border with some 12 gauge ammo in his truck.

That is very fucked up, Shame on our government for not protecting this man.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:44:56 PM EDT
[#31]
everyone knows if that was a congressman or senator's son or daughter that we would have gone to war with Mexico over that shit, but since its just a average citizen who gives a shit right??
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:46:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Stay the F*^K out of Mexico. It's not even worth a job.

I'm an A/C tech here in Phoenix and have heard to many horror stories from customers true life experinces.

The bastards will throw you in jail for any reason. And if you don't have alot of cash on you. Plan on becoming a resident of the Mexican cops.

You've BEEN WARNED!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#33]
I haven't been to Mexico since the 80's and I have NO intention of doing so ever again.

Hell, I felt more secure touring the USSR in the mid-80's than I ever did in Mexico.

Someone in the thread said it best.  They only want our money.  If they can find any way to fuck with you, they will.

Zaphod, I don't think ANY job is worth taking that kind of risk of risk for.  Hell, I won't travel to states anymore (unless ABSOLUTELY necessary) that won't let me CCW.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I haven't been to Mexico since the 80's and I have NO intention of doing so ever again.

Hell, I felt more secure touring the USSR in the mid-80's than I ever did in Mexico.

Someone in the thread said it best.  They only want our money.  If they can find any way to fuck with you, they will.

Zaphod, I don't think ANY job is worth taking that kind of risk of risk for.  Hell, I won't travel to states anymore (unless ABSOLUTELY necessary) that won't let me CCW.

That's just plain BS I have been in Russia and it looks as dangerous (for us) as Mexico... The advice that I received when I went there is the same as when I went to Mexico for the first time NEVER LEAVE THE TOURISTIC ZONES... (specially if you don't speak spanish)
I will say that trying to take a gun or ammo to Mexico (or any other country) is just stupid!!! and it's just asking for problems... My wife's mother has been retired and living in Baja for almost 7 years and she tells me that it has been a wonderful experience and that the only bad thing is the hurricanes... In the other hand I have heard the Tijuana is just a big shit hole... I have never been there and I don't plan to be there in this life time. However I must say that Cancun, and this other place call Huatalco (or something like that) are one of the best beaches that I have seen as good as Hawaii but a lot cheaper. Amazing place!!! almost everybody speaks english and the Mexicans were very friendly more friendly that went I went to Hawaii some places there are just for asians!!!  I don't mind to be trated as a tourist visiting Mexico but I hate when I go to Hawaii to be trated like an alien!!! and I have to stand that quite often because my wife is from Hawaii!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:50:08 PM EDT
[#35]
makkoo1974

It's late and I'm going to keep this civil.

It's not polite to leap onto a board where you have 43 posts in 13 MONTHS and reply to someone that their experiences and opnions are "bullshit".

Such behavior will not win you friends or influence people to accecpt what you have to say.

I don't know when you visited Russia.  If it was after the fall of the Soviet Union I understand perfectly why it's not a very safe place (unlike when I was there in 1985).

Oh, BTW... I AM from Hawaii and spent a few years off and on there.  Haven't been back in 10 years but I have a feeling if you deal with people anything like how you presented yourself in this thread, I can understand why you may be treated as an alien there.

Have a good evening.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:40:45 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
makkoo1974

It's not polite to leap onto a board where you have 43 posts in 13 MONTHS and reply to someone that their experiences and opnions are "bullshit".

Such behavior will not win you friends or influence people to accecpt what you have to say.

I don't know when you visited Russia.  If it was after the fall of the Soviet Union I understand perfectly why it's not a very safe place (unlike when I was there in 1985).

Oh, BTW... I AM from Hawaii and spent a few years off and on there.  Haven't been back in 10 years but I have a feeling if you deal with people anything like how you presented yourself in this thread, I can understand why you may be treated as an alien there.

Have a good evening.

His post count has nothing to do with having and expressing an opinion. Who the fuck are you? Take a hike.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Before going into Mexico go over your car to make sure nothing gun-related remains. Clean out everything. No bank statements, no phone bills ect. CB's and Scanners are a big no-no! Remove your CB atenea unless you want police attention.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#38]
I live in the South Texas area and a good training (Zen Do Kai) partner of mine is FROM Mexico, STILL has family there, AND goes down there ALL the time.  He hunts deer and is not nearly as militant as folks here might be but his suggestion is :  DO NOT TAKE A THING WITH YOU EVEN IF YOU ARE FROM THERE AND SPEAK THEIR NATIVE TONGUE.  

He told me this horror story about a (1) one expended 12 gauge shell.  ONE.
Held him up, harrassed, bribed, etc etc........for ONE FUCKING spent #7 bird load husk.
His family is basically all down there and he's from there and speaks better spanish than english.  He's a genuine person and hated to hear this from him but he did say that if you didn't have your ducks in a row (paperwork) that there could be hell to pay........
YMMV
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:19:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
makkoo1974

Have a good evening.

His post count has nothing to do with having and expressing an opinion. You the fuck are you? Take a hike.

+1 Look at RockRiverNOBAN, he had almost 100 post his first day.  Just having lots of post for him gained him no respect.  I wonder if he'll chime in?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:27:35 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well, I certainly can't speak for the rest of the country, but the folks that work at the plants and live in the States have had a uniformly un-exciting tone to their experiences.

All I plan to do is drive in for work, and drive home. The plant is less than 5 miles from the border, and has its own security force. The foreginers aren't bothered so long as you don't do something stupid.

I have no intention of touring the place outside of work unless I can be reasonably assured of not having a story to post here later.

Hell, my Ops colleague is IRISH, for Pete's sake! At least I speak the damned language!

We'll see, I suppose. I'll post anything I learn, firearms-related or not, dealing with travelling in Mexico for whoever might need it. Hopefully, I won't have to do it from a jail cell..

Hey, you're IN with the Irish guy.

An interesting side note of the war was the Saint Patrick's Battalion (San Patricios), a group, approximately 500-strong, of (largely Irish-born) Americans who deserted the US Army in favor of the Mexican side.  Many of them fought against what they alleged was brutal, racist discrimination received from the U.S. Many identified with Mexico as Catholics.  They were hanged by the U.S.; making sure that the last thing these Irish men saw was the lowering of the Mexican flag and the raising of the U.S. flag as the war was won. Some historians claim that these men were prisoners of war. Other argue that they were traitors and deserters. There are many monuments to these soldiers in present-day Mexico.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:43:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Mexico is a fine place.  You won't have any trouble if you use some common sense, stay out of areas that you know (or feel) are trouble -- much as you would here.  They are great people but they have their jerks too.

BUT ... they are VERY serious about weapons and always have been.  Just leave your guns on this side of the river and you'll be fine.  It's not worth the hassle.  Even if you have all the paperwork, if you aren't on a hunting trip at one of their fancy resorts, the locals are going to have a hard time accepting that the Mexican government has let you carry in their country when you aren't even LE.  So, you'll be cooling your heels somewhere unpleasant till they get around to checking out your paperwork.

Enjoy Mexico.  It will be a great experience that you will grow to enjoy as you begin to understand the culture.  Just leave the guns at home.

Wolf
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:50:05 AM EDT
[#42]
Zaphod; I worked in a maquiladora for two years. IM me if you'd like personal experience.

In sum, I wouldn't do it again.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#43]
I remember a tourist in Mexico getting arrested for having a single .22 round in their car.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:03:57 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Dude,

You don't want to take anything that can be remotely used as a weapon across.

There was an FFL several years back that had his assitant clean out the truck so they could cross at one of the smaller towns to get some lunch, Federales found A box of shotgun shells under a seat, and the FFL went to Mexican prison for over 2 years, plus lost his FFL here in the US because he was convicted of a Felony ANYWHERE, ie. in Mexico.  This case got quite a bit of attention because of the efforts of some in Congress to help him get his license to do business back.

The city of Nuevo Laredo has an ordinance against the carrying of pocket knives.  Don't even carry your little Swiss Army knife with you.

This is what I do RELIGOUSLY when I cross.

I empty my pockets and take only my ID, 1 key for my vehicle, and the money I plan on spending when I am across.  That's it.

Remember, your rights end at the water.

Uh, boy......
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:14:08 AM EDT
[#45]
First, I have a strict policy when going to Mexico, no guns or ammo.  Next, things can go out of my body, but nothing local can go in my body, I bring my own food and water.

A few years ago a group of friends took a bike tour down Baja, I think on the Pacific side...or what ever the warmer side with sand is.  All of my friends took knives for defensive purposes.  The tour operator took hunting bows for "target practice fun" at the camp.  They had a chase van, so bulk and weight wasn't an issue.

This was 10 years ago, but my friends said the tour operator intimated there were still "pirates" and bandits in the area.  My friends began to worry when one of the chase van people always stayed up all night, just "watching for wild animals".

So, I take it hunting bows are OK to take to Mexico.  True?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:38:39 AM EDT
[#46]
You guys are a trip. Yep, a lot of these opinions are bullshit, based on stories of what happened to a cousin of a friend of your brother in laws third nephew. Usually these were trips to a border town for a drunken spree and none of these people have been further into Mexico than the border towns. You cannot judge Mexico by the border towns alone. It has been well publcized about taking firearms, ammo or related items into Mexico. BIG signs are posted at the border crossings and the incidents posted in earlier posts here have received a lot press. Have people been busted with guns or ammo in Mexico? Yep, was their treatment justified? No. The bottom line is just don't do it.
I lived in Mexico for 2 years, (2000-2002) and plan of returning to live there permanently next year when I complete my curent commitment here. I lived in Mazatlan for a year and wandered all over that town day and night with nary a problem. Of course there are sections of town that I stayed out of just like there are parts of this town I stay out of. If you don't want to get mugged in a dark alley at midnight don't go into dark alleys at midnight.  Stayed in Puerto Angel, Oaxaca for four months, a small fishing village on the soutnern Pacific coast. Another month in Puerto Escondido, another small fishing village in Oaxaca noted worldwide for its surfing. The month I spent in Mexico City was't the best; the neighborhoold was probably in the bottom ten neighborhoods to live in. The family I was staying with did not want me going out by myself. Did I do it? Yep, usually early in the morning down to the corner grocery store for something. All the bad guys had already returned to their den by then. I did see a lot of Mexico City in the company of my friends, though. Spent another month in the city of Oaxaca in an old colonial home that was broken up into apartments, had the most beautiful courtyard. Spent time in Taxco, Acapulco, Guadalajara, Durango, Hermosillo. Oh yes, and a month in Puerto Vallarta. Rented a two bedroom two bath apartment there in another old colonial home in the old part of town that sat above a river that ran through town. Every morning I sat outside on the patio for breakfast, one of the most relaxing places I stayed. Lots of foliage, flowers and two iguanas in the tree.  I have other wonderful experiences I can give an account of but I doubt anyone is interested, most of you have a closed mind about the subject. Mexico is not the shit hole most of you think it is, bad things happen in Mexico, bad things happen here. Look at the direction this country is going with it's draconian "homeland security" laws among others.
I can go on and on but I better shut up and put my asbastos suit on. Flame away.

P.S.  I have logged more than 25,000 miles driving in Mexico before during visits and during the time I lived there. Did I have any run ins with the police? Yep, several, mostly the traffic cops in the city; one resulted in a "small fine" and one resulted in nothing more than an exchange of words. Another time was stopped by the state police for a traffic violation, nothing more than a don't do that and be careful. That is the extent of my experience with the police while driving in Mexico.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:55:36 AM EDT
[#47]
Zaphod,

This is probably not a polite thing to ask, but do you look latino and speak Spanish really fluently?
If you do, that will work on your favor BIG TIME.

I went to Mexico DF for work a couple of years ago, and while I don't look "Mexican", my Spanish genes are here, so I  don't looked completely "gringo", and if you add the fact that I speak Spanish, I was looked as another latin guy.

I try to have a small knife on me on all trips, just in case, so while in the DF I carried a Spyderco Native with me.

One day I decided to go to a museum there, and they had metal detector on the gates and policemen with submachineguns, so I approached one of them and told him what I have on my pocket and what I was suposed to do, if the metal detectors were just for guns or not. He told me not to worry, and politely asked one of the museum security guards to take me downstairs to the wardrobe, where a clerk gave me a number for a box where I left the knife, and retrieve it later, no problems whatsoever.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Join their military or police, otherwise forget it
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:06:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Parrandero,

I, too, am somewhat leary about some of the claims made here. I know some are true, some are exagerations, and some are BS. The thing is, I'm trying to find the TRUTH.

I know that crossing the border isn't going to be a slice of paradise, but I want to know if it's going to be a nightmare. Firearms is an easy issue. Having to take a shitty car because the federales may like my Trooper is another. I can live with the first. I'll ask my company for a company car id the second is true.

If the claim of no knives in Nuevo Laredo is true, I need to know, because I always carry a Leatherman or Benchmade. I have an Ontario RAT knife in my truck with another Leatherman in its sheath. Etc...

My last company had many people who crossed the border daily at El Paso. None ever had any problems so long as they followed the speed limit. Even when pulled over, a quick $25 "gift" was enough to let them go. I don't like it, but that sounds more reasonable than having to consider making a run NORTH to the border because some cop doesn't like my Florida license plate.

So there's the rub. I've not been to a border town, and the LAST thing I EVER plan to do is get drunk in Mexico (or anywhere else, for that matter). What I'm trying to do is sperate reality from the "You're doomed DOOMED, I say!" stories from the other end of the spectrum.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:07:28 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Join their military or police, otherwise forget it

Yeah. I've gorgotten it already. What were we talking about, anyway?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top