Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 11/19/2001 4:49:18 PM EST
I need some help/clarification - I am a Texas resident. If I drive into Oklahoma and conduct a private transaction on a firearm ( I am the Buyer),am I violating Federal law by carrying the gun back home to Texas (interstate commerce of a firearm without using an FFL dealer)?? I would appreciate any feedback from knowledgeable members regarding this sale. Thanks in Advance, Jim Chapman
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 4:55:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:09:36 PM EST
Do we need to use an FFL on both ends of the transaction or just on the "receiving" (buyer) end ?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:16:25 PM EST
Just on the buying end. It is legal for the seller to ship to an out of state FFL.But make sure he has a signed copy of FFL's licence.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:57:09 PM EST
Only the receiver need have an FFL, but many licensees choose only to receive firearms from other licensees. Check with your FFL to make sure he'll accept an out of state gun from an unlicensed person. A signed copy of FFL is only required between licensees. Unlicensed persons are just required to make reasonably sure that the recipient is an FFL holder (Gun Shop in the business name, or verify license number with ATF EZ-Check system, etc). Many FFL's will not send a signed FFL to a non-licensee, but all will provide their first 3 and last 5 digits (required to use the EZ-Check system).
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:31:04 AM EST
Thanks for the help, from all of you. I think I understand the process now. With all the internet sales of guns going on I can understand why some dealers are so picky about how these transactions are conducted. Thanks and Regards
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 7:38:08 AM EST
You may want to check local and state laws first. Longarms are not always dealt with the same as handguns. I live in GA and can go to FL or AL and buy a rifle no problem. I do have to buy handguns in state only though. Check out your state laws first though! [beer]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 9:40:15 AM EST
You can only purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state and only from a dealer in that state. Also, the transaction has to comply with the laws of both states.
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 11:30:07 AM EST
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 5:21:36 PM EST
Is it necessary to file any paperwork in a pistol sale between parties in Arizona? A friend wants to buy my 1911 and insists that no paperwork is necessary here. I just moved here this year, and it will be my first firearm transaction since the move. Want to do it right.
Top Top