Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2001 5:49:18 PM EDT
I need some help/clarification - I am a Texas resident. If I drive into Oklahoma and conduct a private transaction on a firearm ( I am the Buyer),am I violating Federal law by carrying the gun back home to Texas (interstate commerce of a firearm without using an FFL dealer)??

I would appreciate any feedback from knowledgeable members regarding this sale.

Thanks in Advance,  Jim Chapman    
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 5:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 6:09:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Do we need to use an FFL on both ends of the transaction or just on the "receiving" (buyer) end ?
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just on the buying end. It is legal for the seller to ship to an out of state FFL.But make sure he has a signed copy of FFL's licence.
Link Posted: 11/19/2001 7:57:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Only the receiver need have an FFL, but many licensees choose only to receive firearms from other licensees.  Check with your FFL to make sure he'll accept an out of state gun from an unlicensed person.

A signed copy of FFL is only required between licensees.  Unlicensed persons are just required to make reasonably sure that the recipient is an FFL holder (Gun Shop in the business name, or verify license number with ATF EZ-Check system, etc).  Many FFL's will not send a signed FFL to a non-licensee, but all will provide their first 3 and last 5 digits (required to use the EZ-Check system).
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 8:31:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the help, from all of you. I think I understand the process now. With all the internet sales of guns going on I can understand why some dealers are so picky about how these transactions are conducted.

Thanks and Regards
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 8:38:08 AM EDT
[#6]
You may want to check local and state laws first. Longarms are not always dealt with the same as handguns. I live in GA and can go to FL or AL and buy a rifle no problem. I do have to buy handguns in state only though.  Check out your state laws first though!

[beer]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#7]
You can only purchase a rifle or shotgun in another state and only from a dealer in that state.  Also, the transaction has to comply with the laws of both states.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/20/2001 6:21:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Is it necessary to file any paperwork in a pistol sale between parties in Arizona? A friend wants to buy my 1911 and insists that no paperwork is necessary here. I just moved here this year, and it will be my first firearm transaction since the move. Want to do it right.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top