Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/18/2006 8:24:08 PM EDT
I have had pretty rotten luck with firearms failing on me.
I have a Springfield 1911A1 that has plaqued me with jams, and I am in the process of sending it back to Springfield armory to check.
I bought a Mossberg 500 from a guy that works with me. I thought that maybe I would get an 18.5" barrell for it and use it as a home defence gun. Well, I took it to the range the other day, and the very first shell I fired in it stuck (Winchester 00 buck). I racked the pump, and when I tried to chamber the next shell, it wouldn't go cause the first one was stuck in the chamber. After some fiddling with it, I got it out and the gun worked fine afterwards with a variety of ammo.
But it has stuck in my mind. The 1911 jams, the shotgun jam. Then I started thinking about other failures I have experienced over the years. 22 rifles jamming and squib loads. Hang fires in my .30-06 rifle and black powder rifles. I have seen other people plaqued with autoloading handguns jamming. I have had both my AR-15's jam (Although they haven't done it since I installed my Magpul anti-tilt followers) Even my H&R single barrel shotgun had to be sent back to the factory because it was popping open due to the recoil from firing it. That is a scary feeling, to shoot a 12 gauge single barrel, and have the shotgun break open by itself right after the shot goes off.
As a matter of fact, the only firearms that I have owned that have not failed me (yet) was a SS Taurus PT-92 that functioned perfectly for years despite whatever kind of crap ammo I through at it and my Double barrel Baikal 12 gauge shotgun. Also I have owned two revolvers that I never had a missfire, etc. with.
So I'm wondering, is it just me? Does anybody else here have problems with their guns? How often do you experience failures from your weapons? I am planning on buying a Glock, just because I have heard great things about how they hardly never jam, but knowing my luck I will find a way to screw that up too
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:27:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are cursed.  You should just send all your firearms to me and I will take care of them for you.

I have had very few issues with firearms failing to function correctly.  The ones that did a Jennings J-22 and an AMT I sold.  

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#2]
(Knock on wood)
Everything is working pretty well for me except my 1923 Luger. The gun is having failure to feed issues.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#3]
do i even need to ask if you keep your guns properly cleaned, lubed and maintained?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 8:42:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I do keep my stuff well maintained and lubed. I clean them throroughly after each trip to the range.
Most of my stuff looks like it is brand new. I guess it has just been bad luck.
Oh, and I forgot to mention my M1 Garand, I ordered an H&R Garand Service grade from the CMP. The first time I took it out, the trigger guard would pop open every time I fired it I thought the rifle was going to fly apart!!
I quit shooting it, and called the CMP. They put me through to one of the guys that work on them and he said to just bend the trigger guard until it locks up tight. I ended up replacing the stock and "tightened" the trigger guard like he suggested. I have only fired it once since then, but haven't experienced that problem since. I have had a couple of failure to feeds with the Garand as well.
Like I said, I have not had the best luck with weaponry and if I ever had to use one of mine, I would be scared to death that it wouldn't function properly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top