Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 2:11:25 PM EDT
Going through the hiring process for an entry level Fire Inspector position and have made it to the stage where I’ll be interviewing with the Fire Marshal and Deputy Fire Marshal. Anything specific I should expect or familiarize myself with?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Nothing to add but, good luck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:18:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know the specific type questions to be asked but knowing your "Target" hazards  by name in the area you will work at will probably help. For instance i know that chemical plant "Y" that sits in the industrial park produces and stores large quantities of certain chemicals. If you really want to impress come up with  the number of certain places in a given area. Like we have 5 nursing homes in part of the city and 8 hotels in another part. Those questions might not come up but i don't see why that knowledge wouldn't help. Good luck.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Play with lighters, matches and cannon fuse during the interview?

Already a certified Inspector 1 or 2, I assume?

Some future aspirations could be a plans checker?  Part of the where do you see yourself in 10, 20 years question.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Play with lighters, matches and cannon fuse during the interview?

Already a certified Inspector 1 or 2, I assume?

Some future aspirations could be a plans checker?  Part of the where do you see yourself in 10, 20 years question.
View Quote
Haha, think I’ll leave the cigar lighters at home. This for a fire inspector I position.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:15:12 PM EDT
[#5]
When I took the test there were three different phases.

We started with an inbox exercise. We were given a list of tasks we had to complete and all the forms required. We had to write a formal letter to a Chief, fill out work orders, complaints, vehicle maintenance records and inspection reports write memos and activity sheets.

Next we had to give a presentation to three FD members from another department who were impartial assessors. We had to give a ten minute presentation with ten minutes preparation time. We didn’t know the subject of the presentation till the testing officer gave it to us. When given, it had to be in a proper format.

Introduction
Subject of the presentation
The presentation
A review of the presentation
Short period for questions
Closing.

Next was a role playing exercise. I was the Inspector and I had to convince the owner of a large business who had received multiple citations in the past to comply with orders to correct the latest violation. The story I was given beforehand was that he was rich, money was not an object, previous citations meant nothing and I had to convince him to comply.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 12:12:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I took the test there were three different phases.

We started with an inbox exercise. We were given a list of tasks we had to complete and all the forms required. We had to write a formal letter to a Chief, fill out work orders, complaints, vehicle maintenance records and inspection reports write memos and activity sheets.

Next we had to give a presentation to three FD members from another department who were impartial assessors. We had to give a ten minute presentation with ten minutes preparation time. We didn’t know the subject of the presentation till the testing officer gave it to us. When given, it had to be in a proper format.

Introduction
Subject of the presentation
The presentation
A review of the presentation
Short period for questions
Closing.

Next was a role playing exercise. I was the Inspector and I had to convince the owner of a large business who had received multiple citations in the past to comply with orders to correct the latest violation. The story I was given beforehand was that he was rich, money was not an object, previous citations meant nothing and I had to convince him to comply.
View Quote
Holy hell, that’s quite a bit more intense than this process has been so far. First was the written test, 100 multiple choice questions. Passed that no problem and was scheduled for my first interview. That was with an HR person, a captain, a Fire Inspector II, and a Fire Marshal from a neighboring county. That went well and was asked to write a report based on a mock scenario. That apparently was to their liking and now I’m scheduled for this interview. I know they’ll do a background check, live scan, test, etc... should I do well on this but I’m not worried about any of that. Just trying to find out if there’s any special I can prepare for with this interview.

Thanks for all the input and well-wishes, everyone. This job would be a godsend for me and my family.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 7:55:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the kind words and advice, everyone. Should’ve been an easy interview and I’m pretty sure I bombed it completely. Felt like I stuttered and stammered my way through the whole thing, and totally froze when they asked if I had any questions. Hoping they look past all that and see that I’m qualified, but honestly I’d be surprised. Sucks, but it is what it is. Gotta learn from it and move on.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top