Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/29/2005 4:39:58 PM EDT
I had an appointment at the oral surgeon today at 2:30 and was just going to get the one wisdom tooth removed but the oral surgeon looked at my xray and said that it would be best to get them all removed at once.  So I went for it.  Especailly after I found out the price.  I was quoted $1600 for all four teeth but it turns out that this was covered by my medical insurance since I was being put under.  So, for all four teeth, it only cost $192.90.

When they put the thing over my nose and told me to breathe in through my nose and out through my mouth, I thought it was going to take forever for me to go under.  Within seconds, my entire body started tingling and the last thing I remember was them asking me to open my mouth so they could put the mouth prop in.  Everything sounded so quiet too.

When they woke me up and brought me to recovery, I fell back asleep and barely realized when Afplayboy came into the room.

They gave me an amoxicillin (or however you spell it) and Vicodin for the pain.  I've taken the Vicodin and am not feeling much.  But I'm also using ice packs.  20 minutes on, 10 minutes off.  I still feel really groggy and it hurts to swollow.  But I think this was better to get it done now.  The oral surgeon was telling me that the other three are going to end up doing the same thing...it was just a matter of time.  And since it was only $77 more for the other three, I decided to do it so I wouldn't have to go back.

I can only eat soft foods lukewarm and I can't spit (which sucks since it hurts for me to swollow) and I can't drink through a straw....which also stinks because it's hard for me to open my mouth wide enough to drink from a water bottle.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:42:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Holy shit. Remind me not to goto that place. I got my 4 wisdomw teef removed at once and it was like $250 before insurance....
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Get well soon.  

I remember having my four impacted wisom teeth surgically removed.  I was miserable for a week.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:45:41 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Holy shit. Remind me not to goto that place. I got my 4 wisdomw teef removed at once and it was like $250 before insurance....

Keep in mind....I live right outside of DC.  Lol.

I'm glad it was less than 200 considering I went in thinking that one tooth was going to be $410.  But in the end, the money doesn't matter to me....Just as long as I'm no longer in pain.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:46:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Why you need an oral surgeon? They grow in wrong? Normal dentist got mine out in like 15 minutes... Maybe thats why mine was so cheap.

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad it was less than 200 considering I went in thinking that one tooth was going to be $410.  But in the end, the money doesn't matter to me....Just as long as I'm no longer in pain.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Mine were still under the gums.  And my dentist told me that since there is an oral surgeon within 20 miles, then he sends them there.  I had no problem with that though.  I trust him with my life.

Quoted:
Why you need an oral surgeon? They grow in wrong? Normal dentist got mine out in like 15 minutes... Maybe thats why mine was so cheap.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:48:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahhhhhhhh, nevermind, that explains alot.

Quoted:
Mine were still under the gums.  And my dentist told me that since there is an oral surgeon within 20 miles, then he sends them there.  I had no problem with that though.  I trust him with my life.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#7]
With all this talk and then the info from the other thread I was reading, I think I will remain quiet as not to put nasty thoughts in my head.

But anyway When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I was smoking and ended up with Dry socket I think it was called, and that sucked.  In other words, don't smoke or suck on anything

Pat
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:50:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
With all this talk and then the info from the other thread I was reading, I think I will remain quiet as not to put nasty thoughts in my head.

But anyway When I had my wisdom teeth removed, I was smoking and ended up with Dry socket I think it was called, and that sucked.  In other words, don't smoke or suck on anything

Pat

i won't pick up a cig anyways....for fear of picking up the habit i broke.  lol
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:51:48 PM EDT
[#9]
the trick is...

join the service and its done for free  

although they dont put you under....just a local
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#10]
For A) just having four wisdom teeth yanked, and B) being on Vicodin, your typing and grammar are excellent!    When I had mine done, they gave me Percocet, and my next recollection was three days later in the middle of dinner.  

Good luck on your recovery.  Make sure you follow the post-op procedures--my wife got dry socket in 3 out of 4, and I wouldn't wish that on anyone.  She was flat-out in-bed lights-out sick from the pain for a week, and didn't fully recover for at least two more.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Just lay your head on the pillow, slobber, and enjoy the Vicodin. You will be better before you know it!
Best Wishes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:53:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Glad to hear you got this taken care of!  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:57:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I was lucky enough to only be born with one wisdom tooth. It was up in there sideways though. A Navy oral surgeon took it out for "free". I was awake for the whole thing after a shot of novican he made an incision, broke the tooth up with some pliers and removed the pieces. You haven't lived until you've heard that breaking tooth sound come from inside your own head They did give me 10 Vicodin though.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 4:59:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Sounds like you got off very cheap. It cost my brother a couple of grand to get all four our with no dental insurance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
the trick is...

Afplayboy got it done with the military and he was put under.  What brach are/were you with.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:00:24 PM EDT
[#16]
well get better soon.......I am right with ya......I went the other day and they told me I needed to have one out.....under the gum line also.....maybe I will get off lucky and thats all
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:02:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Sounds like you got off very cheap. It cost my brother a couple of grand to get all four our with no dental insurance.

with no insureance, i would have had to pay over $1700
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Wow, I must have gotten lucky.  When I was 23, my wisdom teeth had finally all broken through the gums, they were impacted, sideways, and broken.  I had to get them all removed surgically.

When I had them yanked, I woke up on the way to the car choking on gauze.  My GF drug me back in so they could fix it.  My next memory was her (5'10" and 115) dragging my 6'2" 170 lbs. up the stairs to our 2nd floor apartment and throwing me on the sofa.

I was up and at 'em three hours later, had a smoke, etc.  Went to bed after supper and the next day I was GTG.  I was warned about the dry socket thing and all that, but had no problems at all even though I smoked a cig as soon as I could get upright.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:09:26 PM EDT
[#19]
I hope you start feeling better soon as I know you had a bad weekend.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a feeling this was a vasectomy
thread...

Thankfully, it is not...

eta: Jesus, I am a fucking moron - I
didn't notice who posted it. Not the
correct equpiment.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:21:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I had a feeling this was a vasectomy
thread...

Thankfully, it is not...

eta: Jesus, I am a fucking moron - I
didn't notice who posted it. Not the
correct equpiment.

I was gonna say "DUDE!!  I'm a Woman!!"  
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:23:12 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Hope you feel better. I had mine out
Freshman year of college. It was a
bloody mess for a while, but the pain
meds were a blast.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:25:46 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

meds were a blast.

Well, the vicodin is working wonders right now and the ice is helping a lot....so i'm feeling better for now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:26:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:30:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Swish salt water around in your mouth once an hour, it'll heal much faster. And you did it right, get it over and done with the first time. Hope you feel better soon.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Swish salt water around in your mouth once an hour, it'll heal much faster. And you did it right, get it over and done with the first time. Hope you feel better soon.

I can't swish anything at all...or else i might end up with dry sockets.  tomorrow i start with the salt water though
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:33:25 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

meds were a blast.

Well, the vicodin is working wonders right now and the ice is helping a lot....so i'm feeling better for now.

Vicodin is the only way to go !!! Screw the Tylenol with codeine... worthless crap ....

I had four wisdom teeth and a rotten molar yanked about five years ago.  They knocked me out.  Only way to go when getting serious work done
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:42:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
the trick is...

Afplayboy got it done with the military and he was put under.  What brach are/were you with.

I was in the Navy, and lancemans description was pretty accurate. I was kept awake, and actually had to hold on the the arm rests of the dental chair to avoid being yanked out of it as they pulled the teeth out.

I could imagine the air force guys needing to be put out for the procedure
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:44:42 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
the trick is...

I was in the Navy, and lancemans description was pretty accurate. I was kept awake, and actually had to hold on the the arm rests of the dental chair to avoid being yanked out of it as they pulled the teeth out.

Lol...they  are wusses huh?  

Love you honey!!!!

they asked me if i wanted local and i said "HELL NO"
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:46:29 PM EDT
[#30]
I got mine removed last month, if you dont get a dry socket its not that bad. But if you do,
it is an extemely painful experience. When the doctor packed my dry socket it was the only time I recolect shedding a tear because of physical pain as an adult. But about 15 minutes after that I felt almost no pain whatsoever.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#32]
During my exit physical from the Marine Corps the Navy dentist told me I needed to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled. Said he wouldn't touch it on the outside for less than 2 grand. I figured what the hell let's get'er done for free. Had all 4 cut out at once under local. I remember it all. The cutting and digging down thru my gums to get to the teeth. Drilling the holes in the teeth. The tool he used to stick in the holes that expanded and broke the teeth into pieces. The sound it made when he pulled the pieces of tooth out of my jaw. The way my toes cramped in my boots from curling them up. The way my neck was sore the next day from pulling back my head to help him yank the pieces of tooth out.

The look that guy had on his face while making Sgt Rocketman squirm was almost worth it. I realized the next day how much he enjoyed it. Good ole Navy docs.........

By the way I had the duty the next day

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:53:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
During my exit physical from the Marine Corps the Navy dentist told me I needed to have all 4 of my wisdom teeth pulled. Said he wouldn't touch it on the outside for less than 2 grand. I figured what the hell let's get'er done for free. Had all 4 cut out at once under local. I remember it all. The cutting and digging down thru my gums to get to the teeth. Drilling the holes in the teeth. The tool he used to stick in the holes that expanded and broke the teeth into pieces. The sound it made when he pulled the pieces of tooth out of my jaw. The way my toes cramped in my boots from curling them up. The way my neck was sore the next day from pulling back my head to help him yank the pieces of tooth out.

The look that guy had on his face while making Sgt Rocketman squirm was almost worth it. I realized the next day how much he enjoyed it. Good ole Navy docs.........

Good lord!  I'm so glad I was out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:59:33 PM EDT
[#34]
All true. Every word of it. I think the worst part was the popping sound of my teeth breaking.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:03:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:53:19 AM EDT
[#36]
I feel just as sore as I did yesterday now....well, its a different kind of sore.  I can't open my mouth all the way, now i have a kanker sore or something on the inside of my lip.  I have no idea where that came from but it's annoying me.  Lol.

The Vicodin is really working wonders for me and I started taking amoxicillin today.  I'm not exactly sure what the amoxicillin is for though.

I felt my stitches today.  The doctor said that they will fall out on their own.  Do that mean that they are going to dissolve or that I am going to be spitting out stitches as they fall out?

I have to start with the warm salt water today and the warm compress.

One thing that's going to be a PITA will be brushing my teeth.  They say to brush your teeth normally but gently.  When my gums were swollen, it felt so good to just brush them....like a massage.  Now I can't do that anymore.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#37]
Glad they came out with no problem.  Get well soon.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:25:39 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
I feel just as sore as I did yesterday now....well, its a different kind of sore.  I can't open my mouth all the way, now i have a kanker sore or something on the inside of my lip.  I have no idea where that came from but it's annoying me.  Lol.
You would be shocked at what went on inside your mouth when you were out. When I got mine done I woke up and the Doc had his knee on my chest with the pliers in my mouth. He was pulling for all his 5.3" frame could muster. I ended up with a bruise on my chest and a split lip
The Vicodin is really working wonders for me and I started taking amoxicillin today.  I'm not exactly sure what the amoxicillin is for though.

I felt my stitches today.  The doctor said that they will fall out on their own.  Do that mean that they are going to dissolve or that I am going to be spitting out stitches as they fall out?
They will/should dissolve

I have to start with the warm salt water today and the warm compress.

One thing that's going to be a PITA will be brushing my teeth.  They say to brush your teeth normally but gently.  When my gums were swollen, it felt so good to just brush them....like a massage.  Now I can't do that anymore.

Did you keep the teeth ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:38:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
the trick is...

We don't need to be knocked out; we're just smart enough take the option anyway.   As a crusty old master sergeant told me once:  "The Air Force will give you plenty of chances to be uncomfortable, why make any of your own?"
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Get well soon frtloop.

I'm probably going to have the same surgery done soon. I thought my oral surgeon had pulled enough teeth (8) back in the 80s when I was going to get braces but evidently he didn't.

Yay.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Doing all 4 at once is the best. Why go thru that more than once. I did all 4 at once too, the Army doc took a look at my XRays and said "im gonna set a speed record on you". He hit me up with novacaine , and after it kicked in he commenced atuggin' with the pliers.
It was almost like one of those 3 stooges films, with the dentist putting his foot on your chest for leverage.
Tylenol with codeine blows. I tried one those and it did squat. I just did aspirin during recover. I only had 2 impacted ones though.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:20:24 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Doing all 4 at once is the best. Why go thru that more than once. I did all 4 at once too, the Army doc took a look at my XRays and said "im gonna set a speed record on you". He hit me up with novacaine , and after it kicked in he commenced atuggin' with the pliers.
It was almost like one of those 3 stooges films, with the dentist putting his foot on your chest for leverage.
Tylenol with codeine blows. I tried one those and it did squat. I just did aspirin during recover. I only had 2 impacted ones though.

My bottom right gums were infected before I got this done and I was on Tylenol with Codeine for the pain and it didn't relieve anything.  Now that they teeth are out, I'm on Vicodin and am so happy I'm on it because without it, I would be in horrible pain right now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My bottom right gums were infected before I got this done and I was on Tylenol with Codeine for the pain and it didn't relieve anything.  Now that they teeth are out, I'm on Vicodin and am so happy I'm on it because without it, I would be in horrible pain right now.

Glad you are feeling better, but wouldn't "gummed the bullet" be a better thread title, all things considered.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

I believe his Brother worked at Sierra Army Depot and to frtloop85 WTG for the courage to end the pain
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:21:06 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Amoxicillin is an antibiotic
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:22:06 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that....I just don't know what I'm taking it for.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:28:27 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I know that....I just don't know what I'm taking it for.

Prevent infection!

I had fun when I did mine.  I was under and needed to be, but when I woke up, I started right back up where I left off in my conversation.

I could have drove home, and I felt fine the entire time after.  It was fun!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:29:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I am so glad the spec's for my mouth, when built, included room for ALL my teeth, even the wisdom!

Thank you Lord for not having to get my wisdoms pulled, it sounds HORRIBLE!

Dram
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:37:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Don't be a pussy

I woke up for all 4 getting cracked and crunched and ripped out of my mouth.
I was actualy able to open my eyes, look him in the eyes, and yell at the bastard as he ripped out the first two.
The other two I felt, but was unable to move, or open my eyes.

It was like:
CRUNCH CRACK TWANG(the sound of something metal losing it's grip) CRUNCH AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!

OMG, it was a nightmare.
I knew when he was putting me under that I was going to feel all of it.

ETA: I forgot about the drilling....shudder...oh the drilling....
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:52:25 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
Don't be a pussy

Wow... what a guy

Kick a chic while she's down why don't you?  What's next?  You gonna post vid of you kicking a puppy?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top