Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2012 8:41:26 AM EDT
I'm surprised more people haven't brought this up. All it will take to block any anti-gun bill in the Senate is for just one senator to step forward and use (or threaten to use) this tactic. They can't stop a filibuster without a 60% majority. People like Feinstein, Schumer and Boxer certainly don't have the numbers necessary to reach that. They would likely struggle to get a majority vote on any gun control legislation without a filibuster anyway. But they certainly don't possess the support needed to bring cloture and go ahead with a vote if just ONE senator steps forward to block it. And we have more than one who is willing to do that in order to protect gun rights. Tom Coburn (R) - Oklahoma and Rand Paul (R) - Kentucky are two that immediately come to mind who would do so in a heartbeat.

Just look at what a fuss Coburn made following the Virginia Tech shooting over a bill that was actually supported and endorsed by the NRA...

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/OTUS/sen-tom-coburn-biggest-obstacle-gun-control/story?id=18040165#.UNxanWleF1O/

If he was willing to fight so hard against a bill that actually had the gun lobby's support, can you imagine how he is going to react to a proposal such as Feinstein's? Despite a slight democrat majority in the US Senate, the senate may prove a tougher nut to crack for the antis than the House when it comes to pushing gun bans...just because of the filibuster.

This is why I am not panicking over this situation and urging calm on the gun forums I frequent. Yes, be vigilant. Yes, contact your senators and representatives. Yes, join the NRA. But don't become so distraught over this issue that you make yourselves miserable or spend $100 on an aluminum USGI 30 round mag from CTD. As you can see, getting an anti-gun bill through Congress is going to be extremely difficult, even if it passes in the House and even if every democrat senator in the country is willing to vote yes on it (both of which is also highly unlikely).

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I posted on this yesterday. I've told my senators that they either filibuster this or my money and vote goes to their opposition. I used small words so they wouldn't get confused.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:45:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Why not just grow some balls and vote? Fuck bullshit moves like a filibuster.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:46:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Because we don't have the votes in the senate to kill this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:47:14 AM EDT
[#4]
They should just add poison pills. The fucking Dems do it all the time.

Drop nationwide concealed carry recognition, reopening of the MG registry, and an exemption on magazine bans for any MG owner into it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
It would work as long as Reid doesn't change the rules on it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:48:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I posted on this yesterday. I've told my senators that they either filibuster this or my money and vote goes to their opposition. I used small words so they wouldn't get confused.

To bad they are bought and paid for by corporations the chump change we give them they blow in one night on under age boys.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Its not this bill I am concerned about. It's what Obama would do on his own. But if he really cared do you think he would have done something already? Instead of passing it to the VP?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:49:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what it won't get past the house

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:51:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Because it is a far safer move to stop a vote on a given measure than it is to allow one when you are in the minority. There is no guarantee that a new AWB would pass a Senate vote anyway. I imagine it would be close. But why take the risk of it passing when you can just filibuster and kill it?

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:54:54 AM EDT
[#10]
OP good post.  I say we pull all stops, let it not even come to a vote, write your reps, etc etc.

Do everything legally possible.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:58:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So what it won't get past the house

You have far more faith in the house than I do.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:59:25 AM EDT
[#12]
"IF EVERY PERSON THAT BOUGHT A 30 ROUND MAGAZINE THIS MONTH WROTE THEIR CONGRESSMEN THIS BILL WOULD BE DEAD ON ARRIVAL"

Not my comment, but it's true.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 8:59:42 AM EDT
[#13]
I know I will ask my senators to filibuster if necessary.  However, Reid has already been threatening to change the Senate rules in 2013 to limit filibustering or modify it.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#14]
wrote and called my congressmen and senators did you?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:04:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I just googled filibuster and I still have a hard time grasping the concept.

So it's just talking for an extended period of time which would prevent a vote from occuring?
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:09:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
wrote and called my congressmen and senators did you?

Yes. I even wrote to Obama after his request for ideas to prevent mass shootings was posted on the whitehouse.gov site. To do anything less under the circumstances would be insane. Any gun owner who is too lazy to exercise that most basic of attempts to protect their rights are just as much a threat to the 2A as people like Feinstein and Pelosi.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:10:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
"IF EVERY PERSON THAT BOUGHT A 30 ROUND MAGAZINE THIS MONTH WROTE THEIR CONGRESSMEN THIS BILL WOULD BE DEAD ON ARRIVAL"

Not my comment, but it's true.

+1

Thanks OP for the suggestion. I will write more letters and include this.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Just sent both Senators from TX and my Representative letters encouraging them to vote against new gun legislation.  Don't know if it will help, but fuck its better than doing nothing.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:15:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

So it's just talking for an extended period of time which would prevent a vote from occuring?

That is basically it. But in actual practice, it usually doesn't even require extended talking these days. If there isn't a 60% majority to bring about cloture, the mere threat of a filibuster has been sufficient in recent years to cause the Senate to move on to other business.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:18:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is basically it. But in actual practice, it usually doesn't even require extended talking these days. If there isn't a 60% majority to bring about cloture, the mere threat of a filibuster has been sufficient in recent years to cause the Senate to move on to other business.

If I was a Senator, I would stand up and say, "No, no, no, no, no, no, no" for days on end.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:19:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Doubt they could or would use it for this issue.

Don't lose sight of your states, and what they are going to do on that level.  My guess is that little will come from the federal level, so long as we have the House.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:26:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Put together a comprehensive list of the representatives that need to be contacted like this guy did: http://www.filedropper.com/13212

And put them at every LGS, forward them to every gun owner you know, make a LOT of noise.  For the life of me I don't know why the manufacturers aren't in on this.  This sort of thing should be blazoned on every pro-gun site out there with links to the reps for their area.

It's nauseating to see the lack of activity other than us talking shit.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:28:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Yes write, if nothing else you will learn who not to vote for next time, and you will also make your politicians understand your position.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
They should just add poison pills. The fucking Dems do it all the time.

Drop nationwide concealed carry recognition, reopening of the MG registry, and an exemption on magazine bans for any MG owner into it.

You can create all the welfare you want, but it's a crime to process applications.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:04:14 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

If I was a Senator, I would stand up and say, "No, no, no, no, no, no, no" for days on end.

IF I was a senator I would open up GD and start reading...
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:08:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Just sent both Senators from TX and my Representative letters encouraging them to vote against new gun legislation.  Don't know if it will help, but fuck its better than doing nothing.

Do it.

Keep doing it.

Encourage your wife/friends/girlfriend/mistress/other people to write.

Have anti-gun neighbors? Great! Write a letter under their name about how much you support AR-15s. It's not like they'll notice.

write write write.
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#27]

poison pill a repeal of 922(o).

we should be doing that to everything anyhow, but here especially.

Link Posted: 12/28/2012 10:36:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

poison pill a repeal of 922(o).

we should be doing that to everything anyhow, but here especially.

That's the spirit... although I would go with giving in here only if it involved a repeal of the NFA, GCA, Hughes Amendment, Sporting Purposes bans, import bans, and then guaranteed national carry without a permit and abolished gun free zones. Take my semi, I'll trade up to a MP5K for carry purposes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top