Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2001 1:35:14 AM EDT
What fight sys. are you learning and why did you pick that one?

I have wanted to start something else for about two years now but could never get time.

I have a black belts in Tae-kwon-do and Aikido and would like to start JDK.
I did a lil bit out west but here in FL there are now schools that can be traced back to Lee or his first class so to hell with it.

I was just thinking about some sys. and more I do I can see I really do know much about any others.

Need some feed back from you guys on what works for you and why.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

I have wanted to start something else for about two years now but could never get time.

I did a lil bit out west but here in FL there are now schools that can be traced back to Lee or his first class so to hell with it.

I was just thinking about some sys. and more I do I can see I really do know much about any others.

View Quote

I'm confused as to why you need another fighting system if you hold black belts in TKD and Aikido.  What rank?  True proficiency in any fighting system is not achieved until the upper dans of a black belt.  At this point, you have two options:  pursue the upper dans in a particular discipline, or furhter investigate another system, and if you go with the latter, the only real option at this point is Krav Maga: [url]http://www.kravmaga.com[/url].  Developed by and Israeli commando, krav maga is a brutal, straightforward system of destruction techniques meant to completely destroy an opponent without mercy.  Good luck.

shooter
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 3:38:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Glock
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 7:55:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Good Lord, not Krav Maga..they've sold out and were suposed to be the next big thing in Health clubs across America, replacing Tae Bo.

Do youself a favor, join a boxing club.  It will go nicely with the TKD kicks, and inside grappling of Aikido.  Last I heard, Teddy Wong had a JKD place somewhere in Fl, but he's too old school jkd for my tastes.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 8:00:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Don't try something new. You would be better served to achieve greater fluency in your other martial arts. Remember, a system can never truly be mastered.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm confused as to why you need another fighting system if you hold black belts in TKD and Aikido.  What rank?  True proficiency in any fighting system is not achieved until the upper dans of a black belt.  At this point, you have two options:  pursue the upper dans in a particular discipline, or furhter investigate another system, and if you go with the latter, the only real option at this point is Krav Maga: [url]http://www.kravmaga.com[/url].  Developed by and Israeli commando, krav maga is a brutal, straightforward system of destruction techniques meant to completely destroy an opponent without mercy.  Good luck.

shooter
View Quote

The more sys. you master the more rounded you get.

I have 1st dans in both but I'm not happy with them at all.

I really would be better off with JDK but like I said I don't a school here to go to.
I'm looking for the next bet thing but don't know what it is yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:34:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good Lord, not Krav Maga..they've sold out and were suposed to be the next big thing in Health clubs across America, replacing Tae Bo.
View Quote

Huh...where did you hear that? Is this one location you're talking about, or is there some kind of trend of which I'm not aware?

The place I've been taking Krav Maga for 5 months now is pretty serious about it. It's all about the fighting, and if you happen to sweat your ass off doing it, good on you.
Link Posted: 11/14/2001 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Traditional Wing Chung.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top