Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2006 6:08:28 AM EDT
Well, at least it's getting clearer every day how determined we are to give shit away.

kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=4619933&nav=HMO6HMaW

Ariz. Sec. of State doesn't believe it.  Voter initiative in doubt.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]

Federal commission says proof of citizenship not needed
March 12, 2006, 09:28 AM

A ruling by a federal commission that says voters who register using a nationwide form don't have to prove they are citizens is drawing howls of protest from state elections officials.

Monday's ruling by the U.S. Election Assistance Commission amounts to a potential loophole in Proposition 200, the voter-approved initiative that made Arizona the first state in the nation to require proof of citizenship for voter registration.

The ruling says "Arizona may not refuse to register individuals to vote in a federal election for failing to provide supplemental proof of citizenship," as required under Proposition 200.

The ruling was requested by Secretary of State Jan Brewer, who called the outcome of her request "outlandish" and asked the state attorney general to review it.

"I certainly have concerns about this," Brewer said. "I don't believe they're correct."

A spokeswoman for Attorney General Terry Goddard said the office is reviewing the ruling but that Proposition 200 will be enforced in the meantime.

A three-page letter to Brewer from the commission's executive director said that imposing additional citizenship requirements on anyone using a federal registration form could result in a loss of voting rights.

"No state may condition acceptance of the federal form upon receipt of additional proof" of citizenship, wrote Thomas R. Wilkey.

The federal form was created and is regulated by the commission and only requires that a voter certify under oath to being a citizen. They are available on the commission's Web site, http://www.eac.gov.

Proposition 200 requires county election officials to reject registration forms not accompanied by "satisfactory evidence of United States citizenship," such as a birth certificate, passport, tribal ID card or an Arizona driver's license issued after Oct. 1, 1996, when proof of legal residency for licenses became necessary.

It also requires voters to show a photo ID or two other forms of identification, such as a utility bill or bank statement, to get a ballot.

The initiative survived numerous legal challenges before it passed muster with the U.S. Department of Justice in January 2005.

States must accept the federal form, and Pima County Registrar of Voters Chris Roads said that could create "an interesting scenario" on Election Day: A voter who registers with a federal form could be allowed to cast a ballot in a federal race, such as president or Congress, but not in a state or local race.

"It could create another layer of eligibility," he said, while noting that only about 1 percent of voters have been using the federal form to register.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved

You can bet that it will soon be a hell of a lot more than 1% using that Fed form!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 7:14:29 AM EDT
[#2]
More messed up stuff from the illegal immigrant voting club.  However, the people who made this 'decision' are just a commission, I wonder if their opinion is even legally binding at all.  You can bet some people will find out about this loophole though and the Dems will get lots of new votes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:09:41 PM EDT
[#3]
When I went to get my new voter card when I moved 5-6 years ago, I asked the election office folks if one has to prove citizenship to register to vote?

She said "Nope."
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 2:18:26 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well, at least it's getting clearer every day how determined we are to give shit THE COUNTRY away.

Fixt
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 4:59:42 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Well, at least it's getting clearer every day how determined we are to give shit THE COUNTRY away.

Fixt

+1

I, unlike others here, have no real problem with illegal immigrants coming to this country, because I have yet to see conclusive proof that they are somehow more violent than other minorities in this country... I have seen conclusive proof that illegals certainly are harder working than other minorities, and many whites, in this country. I do, however, have a problem when they think they can vote, and find it despicable that our own federal government is giving all of our rights that we have as citizens to those that are not even legal residents, and then some; whether it be instate tuition at prestigious state schools such as Berkeley, UCLA,UT, and other Southern state schools or Welfare. Free healthcare are also up on the list.

When will the illegals realize that it isn't that we don't want them to live good lives, provided they are contributing to society; we just don't want the status of "citizen" to mean less than the status of "illegal immigrant".
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:39:24 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I, unlike others here, have no real problem with illegal immigrants coming to this country, because I have yet to see conclusive proof that they are somehow more violent than other minorities in this country...

Not so much as their tendency for violence or lack of as much as it is their sucking up a lot of bennies that should be better served for LEGAL residents. Schools, for example. Latino kids hit school & maybe cannot speak a lick of English. How much do you think is spent on a bilingual teacher?

In addition, there's been a huge rash here locally in hit & run accidents with hispanic drivers. No DL, no insurance, vamoose. Meanwhile, Joe Citizen is left with a wrecked car & higher insurance premium.

Also try 10-15 illegals living in a 3 bedroom apartment. How liveable do you think it is after they move out? Who eats the costs there? No doubt the next tennant in higher rent.

Sorry, when it comes to illegals, I point out the word "illegal".

My .o2
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:44:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if we made the assumption that they do not commit more crimes they are still here ILLEGALLY in the first place and moreover you are only making this about race when it's not about race at all.  I would not want Canadians flocking across the border illegally either, but we won't see that happen because their country is not a third world cesspool.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#8]
As a non-citizen immigrant I say that's fucking bullshit.  You should have to prove citizenship.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:00:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't understand how this is even possible.  It seems that a part of the federal beurocracy (not elected) is imposing its will on the state.  I don't see why they don't just ignore it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 4:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Ha! I cant believe this is news to some of you guys...here in DC, its an absolute joke. They make fun of the way they get out and sway entire voting blocks. I think its actually ILLEGAL to ask them that question.  We really need to get our act together.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#11]

I, unlike others here, have no real problem with illegal immigrants coming to this country, because I have yet to see conclusive proof that they are somehow more violent than other minorities in this country... I have seen conclusive proof that illegals certainly are harder working than other minorities, and many whites, in this country. I do, however, have a problem when they think they can vote, and find it despicable that our own federal government is giving all of our rights that we have as citizens to those that are not even legal residents, and then some; whether it be instate tuition at prestigious state schools such as Berkeley, UCLA,UT, and other Southern state schools or Welfare. Free healthcare are also up on the list.

When will the illegals realize that it isn't that we don't want them to live good lives, provided they are contributing to society; we just don't want the status of "citizen" to mean less than the status of "illegal immigrant".

WTF?

According to you, it's okay to be illegal in one form, but not another?!?  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Considering just how much I pay in taxes, AND that I got screwed by the f$&#^@ Alternative Minimum Tax this year , I would be tempted to try to vote - simply because of that "no taxation without representation" argument.  

But, I'm too much of a rule-following, law-abiding person to ever actually do it.  Your country, your rules - and as a guest, I respect that.  

If I were a citizen, being able to buy from the CMP, not voting, would be the best part of the deal anyway  
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:40:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Considering just how much I pay in taxes, AND that I got screwed by the f$&#^@ Alternative Minimum Tax this year

That's teh suck.  It hasn't been adjusted for inflation in a long time and Congress doesn't want to do it because they make so much money off of screwing people with the AMT.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top