Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/21/2003 12:18:34 PM EDT
Frequent references to them on here. Very few quotes from them.

How many of you have actually read them?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:26:00 PM EDT
[#1]
My sister read them in HIGH SCHOOL! I guess she had a really cool teacher. Unfortunatley she didnt tell me anything about while she was taking it. But that was a few years ago.

I have no idea how this pertains to your post. But I thought it was really cool that some teachers out there still belive in teaching important things.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:27:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:37:04 PM EDT
[#3]
be aware that the Federalist Papers were written by Alexander Hamilton and his federalist buddies.  The purpose of the federalist papers was to pressure the people to abandon the articles of confederacy and adopt a powerful central govt.  In other words, the federalist movement was the first step in BIG GOVERNMENT.
The Anti Federalists did not want a large powerful govt, but were demonized by the federalists, and the Feds eventially won.

I highly reccomend the book "Hologram of Liberty", by Boston T Party.  It should be on everyones reading list.  If you want to know why this country is so fucked up, this is the place to start.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:50:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I've read them.  I don't agree about the big government.  It seems to me there are two extremes to be avoided:  anarchy and despotism.  We've not done too bad here, and frankly there's no "foolproof" mechanism to prevent the people from becoming degraded over time. Constitution's aren't magic, at best they can slow down the rot and provide a rallying point.  

Perhaps more scholarly than "Boston Tea Party"'s book ont he same subject is a book entitled "What the Antifederalists Were For."
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 12:54:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Of course.

The three authors of the Federalist Papers have different viewpoints. Hamilton is an efficient technocrat without much political vision. He'd have probably been happy with an American monarchy. Madison is one of the greatest political thinkers of all time.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I've read them..along with the Anti-Federalist Papers.

(Anti-Federalist Papers?)
Background Info:

During the debate over the adoption of the constitution (Adopted in 1789)there were 2 camps..those who supported the creation of a strong federal government (called Federalists) and those who were oppossed to the creation of a strong federal government (Anti-Federalists).

The Federalist camp was headed by Madison, Alexander Hamilton, and John Jay..these people wrote a series of papers arguing the benefits of the creation of a strong federal government. This collection of papers came to be known as the Federalist Papers.
Famouns Federalists include the likes of Benjamin Franklin, and George Washington. (Curiously Franklin started out in life as something of an Anti-Federalist and then later in life became and advocate of a power central government.)

The Anti-Federalists also wrote their papers arguing against the adoption of the Constitution which created a powerful Federal government. These Anti-Federalists were led by people such as James Mason, Patrick Henry ("give me liberty of give me death" fame). Notable among the Anti-Federalists was Thomas Jefferson author of the Declaration of Independence.

It was because of the Anti-Federalists that the Bill of Rights was adopted. Madison was initially opposed to the adoption and then abruptly switched from oppossing to supporting the Bill of Rights.

It is interesting to find copies of the Federalist Papers everywhere..but it is NOT easy to find a copy of the Anti-Federalist papers.

Incidently the first constitutional convention was initially called to make some small amendments to the articles of confederation (state legislatures were suckered into sending delegates )(but Hamilton and Madison had a different motive: the complete abolition of the Articles of Confederation)

The Anti-Federalists thought (wrongly) that the Bill of Rights would prevent the growth of the Federal government into what it is today.

They figured that the 10th Amendment would act as a check on the Federal Government's encroachment on the powers of State governments.
They also believed that as a last resort the Second Amendment would offer a way to prevent a Federal government from becoming tyrannical.

Unfortunately they were wrong, because the US Supreme Court in most cases has backed the Federal government or refused to hear challenges to blatantly unconstitutional laws (e.g. the 2nd Amendment).

America... scr_wed since 1789...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top