Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:50:47 AM EDT
Does windows xp have a built in feature that will allow me to send faxes from my pc ? Or are there anything free downloadable I can use to send faxes ?  I have cable internet if that matters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:22:18 AM EDT
[#1]
From the "help" function in Windows XP:

Using FaxFax provides you with complete fax facilities from your computer. You can configure fax settings, send and receive faxes, track and monitor fax activity, and access archived faxes. Using Fax, you can choose to send and receive faxes with a local fax device attached to your computer, or with a remote fax device connected to fax resources located on a network.

Fax is not installed by default during Windows Setup.

To install the Fax component
Open Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel.
Click Add/Remove Windows Components.
In the Windows Components Wizard, select the Fax Services check box, and then follow the instructions on your screen.
Notes

To open Fax after installation, click Start, point to Programs, point to Accessories, point to Communications, and then click Fax Console.
For more information on using Fax, click Help in Fax Console.

I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:49:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks that help me be able to send a fax. But what I'm really tring to do is fax the contents of a word doc. I'm tring to fax resumes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:15:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure, but I think you are going to need a Fax program.  Mine came with the HP software.   After you type your Word.doc for go to print and chose the Fax function... that is if you have the program.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:36:20 AM EDT
[#4]
Start-programs-accessories-communications-fax.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:37:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Net2Phone has it but it costs web.net2phone.com/consumer/commcenter/

I paid $10 6 years ago or so and they doubled my account to $20, I still have $18.xx balance, pretty cool, actually makes your PC work like a phone except someone cant call in.  Great for prank calls or a call where you want your phone number caller id blocked if you dont trust *82 or whatever

PC2Fax® powered by Net2Fax®
Send Faxes From Your PC!

PC2Fax powered by Net2Fax allows you to send a file from your PC to any fax machine in the world at great low rates.

• Fax directly from Net2Phone CommCenter
• Fax from any other application (from the Print menu)
• Receive delivery confirmation by e-mail
• Check your fax status online
• Rate to the U.S. only $0.10 per page
• International fax rate as low as $0.10 per page
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Does windows xp have a built in feature that will allow me to send faxes from my pc ? Or are there anything free downloadable I can use to send faxes ?  I have cable internet if that matters.

Not that I am aware of..

Of course there are several freeware programs.

I use a fax program that came with my all in one printer.

I can zip the files up if you would like it...Just IM me..
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:54:09 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks that help me be able to send a fax. But what I'm really tring to do is fax the contents of a word doc. I'm tring to fax resumes.

OK. I re-read your original post and you have a cable modem--not a telephony based modem. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:30:42 PM EDT
[#8]
assuming you also have a regular modem(hell they only cost $20 so if you don't it's not a big deal to get one)
start->settings->printers and faxes
set up faxing in the top left corner

basically is adds a "printer" that programs will see when you do file print and selecting it will fax from your phone modem

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:59:15 AM EDT
[#9]
www.efax.com

30-day free trial.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 7:53:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
assuming you also have a regular modem(hell they only cost $20 so if you don't it's not a big deal to get one)
start->settings->printers and faxes
set up faxing in the top left corner

basically is adds a "printer" that programs will see when you do file print and selecting it will fax from your phone modem

www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/crawford_02october21.mspx

that would be my solution....  Nowadays you can find a modem for next to nothing. OR Somebody you know has an old computer they aren't using, check for a modem card, betcha you could snag it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top