Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2002 9:08:45 AM EDT
On the lighter side of things, what's your favorite cigar?

I usually take one to the range and smoke it while I am setting up.  Only been dabbling in cigars for a few months, so I am still trying different makers and styles.  What I do like are the smaller ring (44 and below, sometimes I find a 50 that I like) varieties.  

And I am not talking Blunts.

223REM
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:13:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I usually have an El Rey del Mundo or La Gloria Cubana, non-Cuban varieties.

On the lighter side?  Was that a pun? [:)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:15:05 AM EDT
[#2]
I am currently enjoying the Cusano "Killer" Cameroon's...
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:15:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Arturo Fuente Hemingway, especially the Short Story.

El Rey Del Mundo Torpedo (Non Cuban)

Partagas #10 (non C)

La Gloria Cubana Torpedo (non C)

Montechristo #1 (Oh, YEAH, the Cuban)
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:17:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I usually just go for the Macanudos.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:25:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I like pretty much ALL Dominicans.  I really love Don Diegos, and Romeo y Julietas.

The Padron "Anniversarios" (spelling?) are very nice, but expensive.

Last Night I had a nice Monetcristo.

My cigars need to be big.  Any cigar with at least a 50 ring or bigger, like a 54 would be my preference.  That and a good cup of coffee and I'm in paradise.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Whats up with cuban cigars these days, still illegal but everyone can get them anyway? Kind of like the war on drugs I guess. I go over the border to Juarez and bring back a few cigars now and then but would prefer a source that delivers, anyone have any good internet sites for cigars (cuban and non). Are those dominicans as good as cubans?
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 9:47:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Whats up with cuban cigars these days, still illegal but everyone can get them anyway? Kind of like the war on drugs I guess. I go over the border to Juarez and bring back a few cigars now and then but would prefer a source that delivers, anyone have any good internet sites for cigars (cuban and non). Are those dominicans as good as cubans?
View Quote

The few cubans I've had were nothing special compared to some of the good Dominican brands previously mentioned, but that could be due to poor handling on their way into the country.

La Unica's used to be a good cheap cigar (<$2 each), but then Cigar Afficiando rated them very highly, even over some cubans.  Now, if you can find them they are around $5 each or more.  Pretty pricy for a bundled cigar.

One of my favorites that's not yet been mentioned are the Ashton 40's (I prefer the Maduro's).

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:00:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Oh come on...there's gotta be a Monica joke in here somewhere.  I'm just not clever enough to think of one.

As for cigars, I loved the smaller Cuban Partagas.  I like Macanudos too, but I'm not that particular about which ones.  I just don't like any overly large cigars.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:01:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Romeo Y Julliette.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:15:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Cohiba Robusto
[img]http://www.cigarworld.com/brands/cohiba/cohiba/cigarimages/03rbst_fn06c.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:18:10 AM EDT
[#11]

The regular Padron line is very good and relatively inexpensive. Anything from the Villazon Co. is also great ( Excalibur, ERDM, Hoyo de Monterey, etc).

[smoke]

Stepped-init
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:19:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
And I am not talking Blunts.
View Quote

[img]www.ar15.com/members/albums/Chimborazo%2Fwerd%2Egif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:43:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Partagas - Nice and robust. Love them with brandy.

Cohiba - So many fakes out there, though.

Macanudo - For when I want something mild.

Upman - Full bodied, but still mellow.

Cabalero - Tried one in Vegas many years ago. Great cigar, but I can't find them.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:44:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Bolivar's.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Hoyo de Monterrey Sultans, 7.5" x 54 ring, are my favorite, but I smoke a lot more of a Thompson's house brand at under a $1 each. I drink a lot more beer than champagne, too.

The fatter cigars have room to mix more tobaccos in. This allows more complex flavors. Burn better, too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#16]
I keep a nice stash of Partagas Royale Limited Reserve on hand.  Macanudos seem to be my daily smoker though
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:06:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Whats up with cuban cigars these days, still illegal but everyone can get them anyway? Kind of like the war on drugs I guess. I go over the border to Juarez and bring back a few cigars now and then but would prefer a source that delivers, anyone have any good internet sites for cigars (cuban and non).
View Quote

Our county sheriff brings me over some on occasion---I think he gets them from the DA.  Hows that for delivery
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:07:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Hoye de Monterrey Excalibur #1 Maduro if I have time to kill.

La Gloria Cubana Wavell if I don't.

Upmann Churchills are good too.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:54:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I have two favorites.

Both from J&R...

The Ultimate #5, and the Ultimate Petit Corona. Both in Maduro, of course :)

The #5 is a longer smoke than the Petit Corona...but they are both worth it. They are great.

And, fortunatly for me, the J&R store is just down the block [;D]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:32:22 PM EDT
[#20]
A subject near and dear to my heart....

Favorite Cuban is a Montecristo #2.  Without a doubt the best cigar I've ever had.  The Partagas #4 is close as are the R&J Churchills.

My daily smoke is the La Gloria Cubana Wavell made in Miami in Maduro.  Best value in a cigar out there today.  

Still enjoy the occasional Partagas #10 and anything else that's free.....

[smoke]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 12:42:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Cuban Montecristo #4 the best. (All you Cohiba bigots can just chill...to hard a draw for me)

Non-Cuban Arturo Fuente Chateau in Maduro
and of course Arturo Fuente Hemingways of all varieties.

They can keep the Opus X, it ain't nothing special.

A Lars Teten now and then is an interesting smoke.

Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I like $4 a pack, Backwoods rum cigars, I dont need to spend $20 on a cigar to enjoy it!

I like to smoke em when Im fishin![:d]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Fave smoke?  I have a few...

I still have some 1950's-vintage Cubans (Cohiba and Partagas) that were given to me long ago.  Believe me, the older Cubans are measurably better than the post-embargo (post-ban?) smokes - they have been aged longer and the craftsmanship is quite a bit better.  I've had both, and the old ones are the ones I save for special occasions...

Partagas 8-9-8 remains an all-time favourite.  It is nearly a "Maduro" wrapper, rather strong.  I have probably acquired the taste for them.

Nat Sherman has MANY excellent bands - try the City Desk, Metropolitan, and Exchange selections.  Nat Sherman has maintained a long partnership with Ramon Cifuentes (expatriated Cuban who runs the Dominican Partagas brand) and uses a lot of Cuban seed.  Sherman's also has what I think are the best Connecticut Shade-grown leaves in the business.

A point to bear in mind - since you are new to the cigar world, the intensity of the taste is directly related to the darkness of the wrap leaves.  The very light "Shade-grown" or "Claro" (pale to jade green) are usually very mild, and this ranges all the way to the "Oscuro" or "Maduro" (dark brown to black) which has a very strong taste.  Work you way up accordingly...

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]
I smoked some Cubans when I was down in Cancun a few months ago, I cant remember which brands, but they were damn good! [):)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 1:44:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Swisher Sweets
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:04:56 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Fave smoke?  I have a few...

I still have some 1950's-vintage Cubans (Cohiba and Partagas) that were given to me long ago.  Believe me, the older Cubans are measurably better than the post-embargo (post-ban?) smokes - they have been aged longer and the craftsmanship is quite a bit better.  I've had both, and the old ones are the ones I save for special occasions...[red]Very Nice![/red]

Partagas 8-9-8 remains an all-time favourite.  It is nearly a "Maduro" wrapper, rather strong.  I have probably acquired the taste for them.

Nat Sherman[red]WHO?[/red] has MANY excellent bands - try the City Desk, Metropolitan, and Exchange selections.  Nat Sherman has maintained a long partnership with Ramon Cifuentes (expatriated Cuban who runs the Dominican Partagas brand) and uses a lot of Cuban seed.  Sherman's also has what I think are the best Connecticut Shade-grown leaves in the business.[green]Got a Number?[/green]

A point to bear in mind - since you are new to the cigar world, the intensity of the taste is directly related to the darkness of the wrap leaves.  The very light "Shade-grown" or "Claro" (pale to jade green) are usually very mild, and this ranges all the way to the "Oscuro" or "Maduro" (dark brown to black) which has a very strong taste.  Work you way up accordingly...[blue]I was also told that ring size has something to do with the richness and fullness of taste. Yes, No?[/blue]

FFZ
View Quote

Well since I new to this, how about each of you send me one of your favorite cigars so I can where you're coming from.[:)]

223REM
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 2:27:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Romeo Y Julieta's No. 2's (genuine Cubans of course)
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:03:30 PM EDT
[#28]
Ring size helps with fullness and delivery of tast (moreso delivery - larger rings should also draw somewhat easier) but the main component of taste is found in the wrapper leaves.  The "binder" (next under the wrappers) and "filler" (just that - the centre of the smoke) will also affect flavour, but not to the extent of the wrapper.

If you can find it, pick up a copy of "A Passion for Cigars" by Joel Sherman.  Joel is Nat's son (second generation tobacconist,) and while his book is a bit biased towards his own products, it makes a good, easy-reading primer into the "cigar world."  It's not a very large book, and could be easily gone thru in an hour or so (while you are enjoying a fine smoke, perhaps?) and kept on-hand as a reference until you really pick up on things.

FFZ

EDIT - Forgot, you can find Nat Sherman online at www.natsherman.com.  His main shop is in NYC, but there are retailers nationwide and they maintain a locator on site.

FFZ
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:07:36 PM EDT
[#29]

[url]www.natsherman.com[/url]  
making link hot
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 3:10:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cohiba Robusto
[img]http://www.cigarworld.com/brands/cohiba/cohiba/cigarimages/03rbst_fn06c.gif[/img]
View Quote

Ditto.  Can't beat the best.  Only Cubans though.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 7:40:27 PM EDT
[#31]
My 2 cents for small cigars...
1)Hoyo de Monterrey Excalibur VI maduro
2)Puros Indios #4 Especiale
   ...these are full flavored
AVO Petit Belicosa...smooooth and a work of art,
but great with a cold beer,
and for a fine 15 minute smoke...
Arturo Fuente Hemingway Short Story
                   Stay safe
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 10:16:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Here's my mess of cigars:
[img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0MgAAAFERtqjuemd!NqPR468RneidWafwV9BLMIEB7PDyiJnBHVTC9NVBhreuBEOjkbZqVmlIEnIdjRam*2hY1g/Cigars4.JPG[/img]
[img]groups.msn.com/_Secure/0MgAAAFIR4Kjuemd!NqPR4xyTjDtb1y65qaDKxUGwQhVkGljmDkCTFCDq4lQ3FdgR7Yr7*Y4RuWrAqJjB*iIqqA/Cigars5.JPG[/img]
There are some Hamiltons and Flor de los Reyes under the Lars Tetens.  I know a lot of people hate Lars, but they smoke a lot better than they smell.  The Upmann Hamiltons are probably my favorites now.

I had a Partagas Black Label last Sunday that was a really good full smoke.

If you want to try new things, buy at [url]www.cigarbid.com[/url] .  You can purchase 5 packs for pretty cheap and try a whole bunch of different types.  I also found that glass topped humidor for less than 80 bucks there.  Check them out.
Link Posted: 7/24/2002 11:57:46 PM EDT
[#33]
So I am heading to Canada this weekend to "camp" and am gonna buy a Cuban.  Whats the best commie for the money?

Keving67
Link Posted: 7/25/2002 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So I am heading to Canada this weekend to "camp" and am gonna buy a Cuban.  Whats the best commie for the money?

Keving67
View Quote

Montechristo Number 2, it's a torpedo.

Don't stand up suddenly after smoking it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 3:53:20 AM EDT
[#35]
A friend of mine takes business trips to Canada(Quebec & Montreal) once every two weeks.  He has been pricing Cuban cigars and states they are not worth it for the money you would pay in Canada.  How could you tell if its a real Cuban or not unless you buy the sealed box.  I think I just stick to those makers imported legally.

223REM
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:03:56 AM EDT
[#36]
I am also a newbie to the cigar world and find that it is impossible to find good ones locally.  I appreciate all of the recommendations I have seen here.  Who offers the best on line value, e.g. - price, shipping, quality and customer service?  BTW - if any of you guys ever get to Victoria, B.C., there is the greatest tobacco shop I have ever seen in the downtown area.  I think it is on Government or Douglas.  The only problem is, you have to smoke them there or get them confiscated at customs.

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:09:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Punch, Don diego, romeo y julieta and *gasp* Swishers. [smoke]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:12:00 AM EDT
[#38]
Hold on fellas, let me take a pic of my humidor...

(I'll be right back)
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:30:58 AM EDT
[#39]
Here you go.... [:)]
Monecristo #2, Habana. (although I do like a nice Bolivar, now and then...)

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pc2e20dc9ff8929f20ae05b5410018b55/fd7c7220.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p36c145174a2d38f8bf017f126754ed6d/fd7c727f.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 7:36:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Not a big cigar smoker, but when I do it is definitely a Cuban Cohiba.  Readily available down here in Miami.  15 bucks a pop...not bad.  Swishers sweets are good as well for a "quick snack."
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Here you go.... [:)]
Monecristo #2, Habana. (although I do like a nice Bolivar, now and then...)

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/pc2e20dc9ff8929f20ae05b5410018b55/fd7c7220.jpg[/img]

[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid26/p36c145174a2d38f8bf017f126754ed6d/fd7c727f.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Whoa, I feel faint...

Seriously, though, you DO know those are contraband, right?

It is your patriotic duty to destroy EACH and EVERY one of those.

Use fire, it's the only way to be sure.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 8:55:49 AM EDT
[#42]
Cincinnatus,

That was cruel!  You're the [}:D]

Fox,

[url=www.famous-smoke.com]Famous Smoke Shop[/url] They have a great number of samplers and 2nd Day shipping unlimited for $7.50.
or
[url=www.thompsoncigar.com]Thompson Cigar Co.[/url] You can pick up a 50 ct. Humidor, 25 cigars and a nice lighter for $35 delivered.  Cigars are OK, but as a package deal you can't be it.
Just do a search on the web and you will find plenty of sources.

To everyone,

It's obviously cheaper to buy cigars by the box, but how many of the same cigars do you want at one time?  Who would be willing to start a "Swap Shop" for cigar trades?

223REM

Edited to mention something about [red]Famous Smoke Shop's[/red] service and quality.  [blue]EXCELLENT![/blue]
Placed order yesterday at 11:30am and the UPS guy just stopped by.  Shame it not much of a beach day!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#43]
ACID!
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:06:24 AM EDT
[#44]
Naturals: Dirt  13 blends of tobacco from around the world.  Cigar runs about $8each length about 5inchs.  All my friends that tried them loved them.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:11:18 AM EDT
[#45]
I like H. Upmann - Cuba , and Cohiba - Cuba , I end up with a box or 2 each a year. My problem is storing them, the local cigar store rents humidor space but does not allow cubans, so I have to put them in different boxes !! There are a lot of fakes but if you know what to look for they are easy to spot, the labels are never done that good, here is a link that will help you spot them.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Aficionado/Counterfeit/countgal.html
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:12:45 AM EDT
[#46]
Boys, if you're like me and only smoke one or two a week, you're a fool not to make it a Cuban.
They're not THAT pricey.  
A good Montecristo costs less than a round of beers or a decent bottle of wine.

[b]I have a son due within the next week or so[:)], so....
....any of you who are in and around NYC are welcome to a nice smoke (when the time arrives).[/b]

Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:15:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I like H. Upmann - Cuba , and Cohiba - Cuba , I end up with a box or 2 each a year. My problem is storing them, the local cigar store rents humidor space but does not allow cubans, so I have to put them in different boxes !! There are a lot of fakes but if you know what to look for they are easy to spot, the labels are never done that good, here is a link that will help you spot them.

[url]http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Aficionado/Counterfeit/countgal.html[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:23:04 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Boys, if your like me and only smoke one or two a week, you're a fool not to make it a Cuban.
They're not THAT pricey.  
A good Montecristo costs less than a round of beers or a decent bottle of wine.

[b]I have a son due within the next week or so[:)], so....
....any of you who are in and around NYC are welcome to a nice smoke (when the time arrives).[/b]

View Quote

Can you get me a better time estimate?

Oh, and can you pick me up at LaGuardia?

PS Congrats, we had a daughter in Oct, best thing in life.
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:27:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Cincinnatus,

I'll make the day trip.  Just give me the heads.[:D]

223REM
Link Posted: 7/26/2002 9:34:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks, 223.  One more question, how much do you need to spend on a decent humidor?  I am assuming one must get a model with hygrometer and humidifier?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top