Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 8/10/2005 6:53:08 AM EDT
Parental Rights vs. Public Schools

David Parker (search) of Lexington, Mass., is scheduled to go on trial on Sept. 21 for asking his son's public school to provide parental notification before discussing homosexuality with the 6-year old.

The actual charge is criminal trespassing. But the real issue is whether parents or schools will control the teaching of values to children.

The conflict began on Jan. 17, when Parker's then-5-year-old son brought home a Diversity Bookbag from kindergarten. Included was Robert Skutch's "Who's In a Family?" that depicts families headed by same-sex couples. Parker had wanted to decide for himself the timing and manner in which his son was introduced to the subject of homosexuality.

(The Bookbag is supposed to be a voluntary program but the Parkers knew nothing about it in advance.)

Parker immediately e-mailed the Estabrook school principal, Joni Jay (search). Parker expressed his belief that gay parents did not constitute "a spiritually healthy family"; he did not wish his son to be taught that a gay family is "a morally equal alternative to other family constructs."

Parker acknowledged the equal rights of gays but objected to "the 'out of the closet' and into the kindergarten classroom mentality." In essence, Parker highlighted the difference between tolerance, which acknowledges someone's right to make a choice, and acceptance, which is the personal validation of that choice.

The conflict moved quickly from the Diversity Bookbag (search) to the more general issue of parental notification. The Parkers wanted to know if sexuality was scheduled to be discussed in class so they could remove their son. They also wanted their son removed from any "spontaneous conversations" about sexuality that involved an adult.

By law, Massachusetts requires schools to notify parents when sexuality is scheduled for discussion. Lexington School Committee chairman Thomas B. Griffiths explained, "We don't view telling a child that there is a family out there with two mommies as teaching about homosexuality." In an e-mail, the Estabrook school principal stated, "I have confirmed … that discussion of differing families, including gay-headed families, is not included in the parental notification policy."

At an April 27 meeting at the school, Parker refused to leave without an assurance that he would receive parental notification. Arrested for criminal trespass, he spent the night in jail.

When asked why he insisted on staying, Parker replied, "I wanted to see how far they [school authorities] would go for [my] asking something simple."

The state now wishes to impose probation upon Parker, along with other restrictions — such as banning him from Lexington school properties without prior written permission from the superintendent of schools. This means he is barred from places to vote, as well as school committee and parent-teacher meetings.

Parker is contesting the charge. Why? After his arraignment, he stated, "I'm just trying to be a good dad." During a May 11 appearance on the FOX News Channel's "The O'Reilly Factor," Parker expanded on this statement, saying that he wanted his son "to play on the swing set and make mud pies. I don't want him thinking about same-sex unions in kindergarten."

Parker's attorney, Jeffrey Denner, points to a larger issue — "the role of family and what kind of encroachments government can make into children's and people's lives."

Otherwise stated, schools are usurping the parental role of teaching personal values to children. They are not acting as educators but as guardians, "in loco parentis" (in the place of a parent). Some schools clearly consider this function to be their right, even over parental objections. Thus, Estabrook defends its "right" to teach Parker's son to accept same-sex marriages.

Denner hopes to resolve the conflict before trial but he also intends to file a civil suit in federal court against the town of Lexington, the school system and its officials.

Meanwhile, there seems to be a campaign to discredit Parker. The Lexington School Board has reportedly accused Parker of wanting to be arrested to grab "headlines." If true, it is strange that he wasted months on e-mails, faxes and school meetings before making his move. Parker's actions sound more like those of a father with no options left.

The school also claims that Parker's demands would prevent other children from discussing their families or drawing pictures of them.

But this is far from what's been officially requested. According to Neil Tassel, Parker's co-counsel, "the Parkers' proposal was simple: notify them in advance if there is a planned discussion about same-sex issues, and, if an adult becomes involved in a discussion spontaneously begun by a child, then remove their child from the discussion."

School authorities quite reasonably responded that they could not be held responsible for monitoring spontaneous conversations or remarks made in the class. Moreover, they contend that children with gay parents have a right to talk about their families and have their families represented.

At some point in the dialogue, however, reason broke down; police were called. The attacks on Parker have been so intense that Tassel recently found it necessary to write a defense in the local paper denying that his client is a shill for or member of Article 8, a controversial organization opposed to same-sex marriage.

He pointed to Parker's Ph.D. to deflect criticism of his client as an ignorant book burner. To counter the charge that Parker hates gays, Tassel described him as "an exceptionally kind hearted man" whose best friend was gay.

Perhaps Estabrook authorities are trying to divert attention from the real question: Is Parker simply demanding parental notification or not? I think he is.

David Parker cares so deeply that he is willing to go to jail and endure a lengthy court process for the right to be a parent. In a world where a myriad of social problems can be traced back to parental abuse or indifference, it is incredible that Parker is being treated as a criminal and not as the hero he is.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:57:10 AM EDT
[#2]
You will learn what the state teaches.

Do not contest it.

The state will decide what is best for you and your family.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 6:59:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Homeschool is the way.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:01:44 AM EDT
[#4]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Homeschool is the way.

or a good private christian school that is part of your church.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:04:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Those who live in Commie states should expect shit like this.  Wonder if this guy voted for John and Teddy?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:05:10 AM EDT
[#7]
That article is obiously written from a perspective of support for the man (which I would), but he's being tried for refusing to leave when asked.  

That said... my child would be in another school within days of them telling me they didn't "have" to notify me.  I think it's amazing where we have let public schools go.  And these "same sex" family discussions are not even close to nessisary in KG.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:06:47 AM EDT
[#8]
How about schools just stick to core classes?  Maybe if our public schools spent more time working on reading, writing, history and math our students wouldn't suck so much at it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:08:52 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That article is obiously written from a perspective of support for the man (which I would), but he's being tried for refusing to leave when asked.  

That said... my child would be in another school within days of them telling me they didn't "have" to notify me.  I think it's amazing where we have let public schools go.  And these "same sex" family discussions are not even close to nessisary in KG.

Why the heck are we even discussing sexuality with Kindergarteners anyway?

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
How about schools just stick to core classes?  Maybe if our public schools spent more time working on reading, writing, history and math our students wouldn't suck so much at it.

Physical Education as well!

I happen to live in the only state that mandates physical education for all students.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:11:11 AM EDT
[#11]
The school is wrong for refusing to notify him AND for forcing acceptance of homosexuality on kids who are too young to form educated opinions on the matter.  But the post heading is very misleading...the guy wasn't arrested OR put on trial for wanting the school to notify him, he was arrested for not leaving when asked to.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:12:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Yet another reason why I home-school.

Everywhere you go nowadays, evil is called good and good is called evil.

It seems that the main purpose of public education these days is to turn American children into communist queers.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:15:09 AM EDT
[#13]

I have read that for every child pulled out of public school and sent to private/home school, the school system loses funding - since it is based on number of students attending.  So, homeschooling not only educates your child better, it is a very real blow against the system, right where it hurts the most.  

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Teaching homosexuality to a child is child endangerment and sexual abuse.

The teachers and school board should all be arrested for sexual assult.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:04 AM EDT
[#15]

To train them at the earliest possbile age to accept this homosexual bullshit.

FUCKING LIBERALS!!!  
FUCKING MASSACHUSHITS
FUCKING PUBLIC SCHOOLS

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:07 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have read that for every child pulled out of public school and sent to private/home school, the school system loses funding - since it is based on number of students attending.  So, homeschooling not only educates your child better, it is a very real blow against the system, right where it hurts the most.  

Which will be fixed when they hike your property taxes to "help save the schools" afterall what heartless bastard can be against that?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:19:27 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Teaching homosexuality to a child is child endangerment and sexual abuse....

Not to put too fine a point on it, but teaching that homosexuality exists is not the same as teaching someone homosexuality.

The school has NO BUSINESS teaching anything about any kind of sexuality to a 6-year-old.  That's the responsibility and prerogative only of a child's family.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:20:11 AM EDT
[#18]
Reminds me of when my 2nd grader came home with an anti-gun shirt the kids were supposed to wear at a "manditory" rally at school to honor some asshat from the Klinton administration.  I raised hell with the school, and kept my kid out for the day.  Only a few other parents took notice. And BTW, knowbody told me shit in advance.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:01 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Good question.  I think the answer is to counter instruction by "homophobe" parents that run counter to the wishes of tolerance loving (when it suits them) liberals and special intrests.  Nice way to start discrediting mom and dad as soon as possible, huh?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The school is wrong for refusing to notify him AND for forcing acceptance of homosexuality on kids who are too young to form educated opinions on the matter.  But the post heading is very misleading...the guy wasn't arrested OR put on trial for wanting the school to notify him, he was arrested for not leaving when asked to.

Sorry, but as a parent, he had every right to be there.

THe schools couldn't defend their position, so they had to resort to a stupid tresspass charge.

Fuck those assholes.

ANd this is the kind of 'in your face' type of tactics that homosexual groups use to push their agenda.

Don't like not being notified that they discuss homosexuality in school? Tough. If you make a stink, they will find away to make you pay.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:32 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Teaching homosexuality to a child is child endangerment and sexual abuse.

The teachers and school board should all be arrested for sexual assult.

Sgat1r5

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:23:55 AM EDT
[#22]
You and your family will accept the gay lifestyle as normal, or else the state will
make an example of you.

One of the many proclamations of the ruling class that must be obeyed.

GM
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:24:19 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We never even discussed that stuff until about 6th grade, and then it was simply about puberty and the changes our bodies were going through.  I don't ever remember anything further on the subject.  My belief is that sexual education is the PARENTs responsibility.  Unfortunately many parents do a poor job of it and then the school is looked to to fill the gap and this kind of stuff is what happens.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:24:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:25:00 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Teaching homosexuality to a child is child endangerment and sexual abuse....

Not to put too fine a point on it, but teaching that homosexuality exists is not the same as teaching someone homosexuality.

The school has NO BUSINESS teaching anything about any kind of sexuality to a 6-year-old.  That's the responsibility and prerogative only of a child's family.

Thank you.  hysterical raving isn't the answer either.  They simply do not need to be talking about it at all.  It's not nessisary to the function and purpose of a school environment.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:25:57 AM EDT
[#26]
Well, I guess this pretty much shows what happens when only the most mediocre people in society end up teaching.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:26:25 AM EDT
[#27]
He's not going to jail because of teh ghey conspiracy, he's going to jail because he criminally trespassed.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:27:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:27:52 AM EDT
[#29]
And people ask why my wife will home school...
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:27:57 AM EDT
[#30]
THIS shit is what we get when liberals win elections, take power and run our communities.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:28:00 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Well, I guess this pretty much shows what happens when only the most mediocre people in society end up teaching.

Yeah.... that's the deal.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#32]
As a parent of a child enrolled in that school, as well as a taxpayer of that state and municipality, he had every right to stand his ground at that meeting.

So someone can be invited to a meeting, then when their opinion differs from yours you are going to use criminal trespass as your last resort?  Which equates to two governemental entities squashing your right to free speech...the school district/board and the police.

Interesting.

My child would be out of that school.  Then there would have been an OFFENSIVE lawsuit.  I'm not sure why he would place himself on the defensive immediately.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:33:46 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
He's not going to jail because of teh ghey conspiracy, he's going to jail because he criminally trespassed.

Can someone please address the fact that he is a parent of a child at the school, and the school is public property.  The article makes no indication that he was disturbing the peace.  It seems like they simply asked him to leave for an arbitrary reason.  Can a school kick out a parent because they make fun of Kerry at school?  Wear an NRA hat?  Drive a pickup truck?  Ask the teachers a question?  Speak with the administration?
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:35:10 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
As a parent of a child enrolled in that school, as well as a taxpayer of that state and municipality, he had every right to stand his ground at that meeting.

So someone can be invited to a meeting, then when their opinion differs from yours you are going to use criminal trespass as your last resort?

Interesting.

My child would be out of that school.  Then there would have been an OFFENSIVE lawsuit.  I'm not sure why he would place himself on the defensive immediately.

I agree assuming the facts are as stated, and he didn't violate the terms of his participation.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:42:03 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Can someone please address the fact that he is a parent of a child at the school, and the school is public property.  The article makes no indication that he was disturbing the peace.  It seems like they simply asked him to leave for an arbitrary reason.  Can a school kick out a parent because they make fun of Kerry at school?  Wear an NRA hat?  Drive a pickup truck?  Ask the teachers a question?  Speak with the administration?

Well, I don't know the law in his state, but I'd assume that just as in a case where you are in the office and have a disagreement, your not going to be able to tell the principle that you intend to stand in his office untill he changes his mind.   If you are asked to leave by them and refuse to do so, you're going to find trouble.  

Can the schools be unreasonable about it... this seems like it.  However, I don't know that he wasn't being combative and interupting the meeting.  That story is clearly on his side and slanted in support of him.  Maybe it's all as they alledge, maybe the truth is in the middle.

It's simple... my kid would be out, and I'd find what remedies I had at law, not stand there and dare them to arrest me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:44:34 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Here's the snag:

His son attends that school. He pays taxes to fund that school. He has legitimate buisness at that school. In no way shape or form was he trespassing.

The charge is BS.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:45:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

With his child there, they have no right to just tell him to get lost.

He has legitimate buisness with the school. The charges ought to be thrown out.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:48:55 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Thank you.  hysterical raving isn't the answer either.  They simply do not need to be talking about it at all.  It's not nessisary to the function and purpose of a school environment.

The REASON they want to teach acceptance to 6 y.o.'s is so latter they can indoctrinate than that being a homosexual is "okay" when it is not.  They don't teach them that homosexuality will put you in a MUCH higher risk of aides and having a long difficult life now do they?

No, what they are doing is teaching that homosexual behaviour is normal and acceptable when it is not.  Is is an abomination and should NEVER be taught in schools in any form other than to be told that you should stay away from it.

But yes, I agree that sex should never be talked about period in schools, but this is NOT about sex but rather about indoctrination.

Sgat1r5

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:49:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Don't some jurisidictions require children to go to school... thus yanking your chld out of a public school without having a qualified program (i.e. approved homeschool, private school program) to which to transfer him would be illegal. A buddy of mine in the People Republic of MD faced that problem. He had to wait several months before he was able to remove his kid.

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Have to start the brainwashing early for it to stick.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:57:37 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
If he WAS being combative, then that's a fact that damages his position.
However, if he was behaving himself, and he wants the school to include him in his child's education, and the school says "Bugger off!", he's just supposed to accept that?

Well... I wouldn't, but honestly is standing there and telling them your not leaving till you get your way going to work?  He said yes, they said no... it's now a matter for him to remove his child and arrange other education or take it to court.  You're not going to win by standing in the room and saying "fine arrest me".
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

To train them at the earliest possbile age to accept this homosexual bullshit.

FUCKING LIBERALS!!!  
FUCKING MASSACHUSHITS
FUCKING PUBLIC SCHOOLS

You're basically teaching them sex-ed, which I didn't get(in the Chicago public school system no less until the fifth grade).  
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:04:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:04:44 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he had no right to be there after being asked to leave by representatives of the school.  He did what he did to make a point, and I have no problem with that, but let's be honest:  he was arrested for trespassing, not for wanting the school to notify him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:05:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Very surprised no one posted contact info for the school board yet:

Lexington School Board

Contact list 2
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:06:10 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

With his child there, they have no right to just tell him to get lost.

Yes, they do.  He CAN take his child with him, but ANY business or government office or private homeowner can ask you to leave and have you arrested if you refuse.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:06:16 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, he had no right to be there after being asked to leave by representatives of the school.  He did what he did to make a point, and I have no problem with that, but let's be honest:  he was arrested for trespassing, not for wanting the school to notify him.

Can the school blow off any concerned parent they want to, simply by asking them to leave?  Is that a valid position?

Whether you think it's a moral position is not the question:  they have a LEGAL right to do it.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top