Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2009 5:56:12 PM EDT

A call came in at 12:39 pm to the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office about an accidental shooting in Crawfordville.

The shooting took place in the parking lot of a business called the Triangle Pawn located at 2775 Crawfordville Highway.

Fifty-five year old Michael David Dicks and his wife 54 year old Mary Gresham Dicks attended the sale in front of the pawn shop.

The couple pulled into the parking lot and got out of the vehicle. Michael David Dicks asked his wife to get a box from the car that contained a 45 caliber semi automatic handgun inside.

Mary Gresham Dicks brought the gun to her husband, he took it out of the case, walked toward the sale and attempted to make sure the gun was safe.

His thumb slipped off the hammer and discharged a round. The bullet hit the railing of the building and ricocheted off the wood. The bullet hit his wife in her upper left shoulder and traveled into her body cavity.

Witnesses tried to stop the bleeding by performing CPR. Mary Gresham Dicks was airlifted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and was pronounced dead at 1:51 pm.

An autopsy is scheduled for 9am Sunday at the medical examiners office.

An investigation is ongoing but accounts so far point to an accidental shooting, according to the Sheriff's Office.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/59864472.html

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:59:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Poor lady. Probably a 1911. Wonder why the dumbass was dropping the hammer while clearing the gun?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#2]
It ricocheted off wood?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Poor lady. Probably a 1911. Wonder why the dumbass was dropping the hammer while clearing the gun?

The tragedy occurred at 12:41 p.m. in the parking lot of the Triangle Pawn Shop, 2775 Crawfordville Highway. Ashley, spokesman for the Wakulla County Sheriff’s Office, said the pawn shop is closed but people gather in the parking lot to sell various items.

“At this time we’re still investigating, but based on the evidence that we have, the results from the autopsy and statements from the witnesses, it appears to have been a tragic accident that resulted in the death of Mrs. Dicks, " Ashley said.

According to Ashley, Michael Dicks was attempting to remove bullets from a .45 caliber Astra model when his thumb slipped on the hammer and the weapon fired.

“After investigating, we discovered that the bullet ricocheted off of a board on the porch of the building that hit his wife, Mary, in her upper-left shoulder,” Ashley said.

A 4-inch mark was left on the board from where the bullet struck, Ashley said.

Witnesses told deputies that Mary Dicks fell to the ground after being struck by the bullet.

She was flown to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital where she was pronounced dead at 1:51 p.m., Ashley said.

Ashley said Michael Dicks brought the gun to the garage sale with the intentions of selling it. He was inspecting it to make sure it was safe to handle when he noticed it was loaded. He then went about removing the bullets, taking out the magazine and uncocking it.

Ashley said, “the autopsy report shows that the bullet entered Mary through the shoulder, struck her left lung, then passed through her aorta, and came to rest in her right lung.”

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:07:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another article says Astra .45.

Still no need to drop the hammer.

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:08:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
A call came in at 12:39 pm to the Wakulla County Sheriff's Office about an accidental shooting in Crawfordville.

The shooting took place in the parking lot of a business called the Triangle Pawn located at 2775 Crawfordville Highway.

Fifty-five year old Michael David Dicks and his wife 54 year old Mary Gresham Dicks attended the sale in front of the pawn shop.

The couple pulled into the parking lot and got out of the vehicle. Michael David Dicks asked his wife to get a box from the car that contained a 45 caliber semi automatic handgun inside.

Mary Gresham Dicks brought the gun to her husband, he took it out of the case, walked toward the sale and attempted to make sure the gun was safe.

His thumb slipped off the hammer and discharged a round. The bullet hit the railing of the building and ricocheted off the wood. The bullet hit his wife in her upper left shoulder and traveled into her body cavity.

Witnesses tried to stop the bleeding by performing CPR. Mary Gresham Dicks was airlifted to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital and was pronounced dead at 1:51 pm.

An investigation is ongoing but accounts so far point to an accidental shooting, according to the Sheriff's Office.

How exactly does CPR stop bleeding?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow that is seriously bad luck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:10:13 PM EDT
[#7]
What bad luck. Guess today was her day to die.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Why would you be dropping the hammer? Why not just drop the magazine. Eject the round? Isn't this the way it's supposed to be done?
What do I know. I own glocks
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:14:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Well he DID unload it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:17:59 PM EDT
[#10]
This guy is no doubt kicking him self more than any of you can.  Sad situation.  But with firearms there are no do overs, and rarely a 2nd chance.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I sincerely hope they misquoted that, but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:37:09 PM EDT
[#12]
sad
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Witnesses tried to stop the bleeding by performing CPR...

There's no faster way to pump blood out of a GSW.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It ricocheted off wood?

I'm with you on that...

What????
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Regardless of how much we sit back and arm chair quaterback his actions....He still lives with the fact that his actions accidentally killed his wife.  What is said here will not touch the guilt he will feel the rest of his life.

My prayers to him and his family.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:05:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Witnesses tried to stop the bleeding by performing CPR...

There's no faster way to pump blood out of a GSW.

No kidding, especially considering it hit both lungs....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:21:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

that was my first thought

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:26:45 PM EDT
[#18]
If it hit her aorta then there's nothing they could do, cpr misapplied or not. It must have been awful with all that blood pumping into her lungs. She was probably choking on blood and coughing it up. Poor girl.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:38:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Regardless of how much we sit back and arm chair quarterback his actions....He still lives with the fact that his actions accidentally killed his wife.  What is said here will not touch the guilt he will feel the rest of his life.

He still did something incredibly stupid. MABEY if we could always use the correct phrase "negligent discharge" people would try to exercise just that little extra effort that prevents this type of thing.
I feel that the word accidentally lets people off the hook for their actions too easily.
Yes, he probably feels like shit, and he should, but I'll still call it like I see it
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:42:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Working a 1911 slam in to the story or just a bad guesser ?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:43:40 PM EDT
[#21]
no such thing as AD... only a ND.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Astra model 1911 doesn't have an external hammer. So it can't be that one.

I can't find any information on an Astra JMB 1911 style gun. Nothing indicates they ever made one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:47:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I sincerely hope they misquoted that, but I doubt it.

NO shit.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 7:54:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Regardless of how much we sit back and arm chair quarterback his actions....He still lives with the fact that his actions accidentally killed his wife. What is said here will not touch the guilt he will feel the rest of his life.

He still did something incredibly stupid. MABEY if we could always use the correct phrase "negligent discharge" people would try to exercise just that little extra effort that prevents this type of thing.

I feel that the word accidentally lets people off the hook for their actions too easily.

Yes, he probably feels like shit, and he should, but I'll still call it like I see it

And away we go with the semantic nazis...
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:01:33 PM EDT
[#25]

Aren't nazis...(wait for it).. anti-semantic?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:02:56 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Aren't nazis...(wait for it).. anti-semantic?

[facepalm]

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:06:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Well he DID unload it.

This was my first thought. But, i didnt want to be the person that went there.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 8:07:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Bad deal all around and the Ricochet off the wood is weird
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:02:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Astra model 1911 doesn't have an external hammer. So it can't be that one.

I can't find any information on an Astra JMB 1911 style gun. Nothing indicates they ever made one.

Astra A-100 maybe?

Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:17:06 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
It ricocheted off wood?

I'm with you on that...

What????

I cannot believe this question.

With the right angle, almost anything can ricochet. Shoot much?
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:19:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Well he DID unload it.

I have a warped sense of humor and even I think that's fucked up. Maybe the pistol had a worn out sear and he was trying to PREVENT the hammer from dropping-sure that shouldn't be an excuse for the ND, but it shouldn't turn the man and his wife into a bad joke either.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:22:51 PM EDT
[#32]
FUBAR
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:24:50 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
What bad luck. Guess today was her day to die.

That's Brilliant.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 9:51:12 PM EDT
[#34]
OK, I'm not an expert on every single 45 ever produced....is there an example of one in which a slip-proof thumb is the only means or rendering it safe?  

Didn't think so
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:25:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well he DID unload it.

This was my first thought. But, i didnt want to be the person that went there.

Sorry, I was thinking what a dumbass he was, and how people do stupid things when they're in some self-induced rush.  They take an in-control situation and in an effort to make it better totally screw it up.

Anyone could have been killed, this is the worst firearm handling exemplified.

Sad deal here.

Sorry for the "gallows humor" - it wasn't meant to diminish the tragic death of the man's wife.  Talk about horror.

Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:45:49 AM EDT
[#36]
He left home with a gun he intended to sell without checking it and unloading it at home first.

I have a 5 gallon paint bucket with 50 lbs of sand and a lid I use to load and unload weapons. I don't use it much, because the ones I want loaded I leave loaded and the ones I want unloaded I leave unloaded, but it's there in case I need it.
Link Posted: 9/21/2009 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

no such thing as AD... only a ND.

Hang fires are AD, back onto the arm chair now.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top