Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2011 12:07:50 PM EDT
So I work in a plant that makes chemicals yall use in the field. Products such as trafix,triflurex,induce, helfire etc. and they test our blood regularly to check for organophosphate poisoning. We recently had to replace an entire crew because of the whole crews blood test coming back bad. So I know in the plant we wear ppe to try and prevent contamination. But I wad wondering what do farmers do to protect themselves ? Or dont they ? I dont know shit about farming. Just figured we have preventative measures in place but what happens to the users when it leaves us ? Enlighten me please ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#1]
1976 I was 18 and spraying 2-4-D, 2-4-5-T on a field when the wind shifted, and followed me up the whole length of the pass.

Dizzy/lightheaded, shaking and puking for a couple of days.

I'm convinced that's why I've never felt right since, why I decided not to have kids, and thats just the way it goes.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:30:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing to enlighten...  some farmers wear gear, other don't.  Getting the crop in and out of the ground preceed anything to worry about.  If die, hopefully farm is paid off....
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#3]
About the only PPE I see any of my customers use is gloves & maybe some goggles. Most are pretty oblivious to the dangers even though they all take the certification classes. I try to avoid working on sprayers, but usually get stuck with one a year or so.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:37:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
1976 I was 18 and spraying 2-4-D, 2-4-5-T on a field when the wind shifted, and followed me up the whole length of the pass.

Dizzy/lightheaded, shaking and puking for a couple of days.

I'm convinced that's why I've never felt right since, why I decided not to have kids, and thats just the way it goes.

Thats the stuff that got banned right ? sorry man
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:38:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
About the only PPE I see any of my customers use is gloves & maybe some goggles. Most are pretty oblivious to the dangers even though they all take the certification classes. I try to avoid working on sprayers, but usually get stuck with one a year or so.

I wouldnt say its oblivious to the dangers, just a matter of taking shortcuts when they shouldnt. Worst I've worked with is anhydrous. My father handled all the chemicals.

I do have in laws who developed very serious brain cancer, fucked his shit up good. He sold "Desert Bloom" or some shit and would drive around with open containers in his car. Really violated about every law of safe chemical handling you can think of.

Personally I dont know of any farmers who really follow the safety precautions like they should, but none who dont at least show some respect to the stuff they work with either.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#6]
I used to operate a floater. 2,4-D and prowl used to give me headaches, sometimes I would get sick. But we were supposed to be "safe" in the cab
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:41:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thank you for jogging my memmory. When u say classes like a hazmat class ?  Are farmers required to have hazmat licenses to use this stuff ?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:43:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Some guy I went to school with had his dick froze off when he was trying to steal anhydrous ammonia to make meth. Tried siphoning it with a hose and put the hose between his legs. Real smart dude.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:46:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I used to operate a floater. 2,4-D and prowl used to give me headaches, sometimes I would get sick. But we were supposed to be "safe" in the cab

Trafix gives me headaches and burns my eyes and im just the forklift driver. Im not even at the fill stations. Smells like if a cat pissed in a bag and you tied it around your head and inhaled.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Some guy I went to school with had his dick froze off when he was trying to steal anhydrous ammonia to make meth. Tried siphoning it with a hose and put the hose between his legs. Real smart dude.

Wow
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:48:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you for jogging my memmory. When u say classes like a hazmat class ?  Are farmers required to have hazmat licenses to use this stuff ?

Not sure if it's a state requirement or what, but some have said they are required to take a class & get an applicators license/permit. Don't know if all are required to do it.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 12:48:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Trafix gives me headaches and burns my eyes and im just the forklift driver. Im not even at the fill stations. Smells like if a cat pissed in a bag and you tied it around your head and inhaled.

A guy once described prowl as smelling like "poison candy". I thought that was a pretty good description. It had an acrid, sweet smell.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 1:51:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if it's a state requirement or what, but some have said they are required to take a class & get an applicators license/permit. Don't know if all are required to do it.

One would think so beings its all controlled waste.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't been active in row crop farming in a number of years, but when I was I did not use anything.  I used to just pour it slowly and try not to spatter any in my face.  I would turn my head away from the tank opening and try not to breathe it.  That was about it.  I suspect 2/3's of farmers do the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't been active in row crop farming in a number of years, but when I was I did not use anything.  I used to just pour it slowly and try not to spatter any in my face.  I would turn my head away from the tank opening and try not to breathe it.  That was about it.  I suspect 2/3's of farmers do the same thing.

This.

N95 glorified dust mask, nitrile gloves, goggles.

Gramoxone and 2-4-D...

According to the voices, my twtching is getting much much better!

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:15:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldnt say its oblivious to the dangers, just a matter of taking shortcuts when they shouldnt. Worst I've worked with is anhydrous. My father handled all the chemicals.

I do have in laws who developed very serious brain cancer, fucked his shit up good. He sold "Desert Bloom" or some shit and would drive around with open containers in his car. Really violated about every law of safe chemical handling you can think of.

Personally I dont know of any farmers who really follow the safety precautions like they should, but none who dont at least show some respect to the stuff they work with either.

what he said

most are aware

most treat it with some level of respect

none to very very few  go to full OSHA type lengths with anything

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#17]
You're all gonna die....

I'm a highly trained professional. I know things.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

had a car load last year stole it and put it in a 5 gal bucket with a loose lid

farmer saw um they tore off and flipped the car with 3 gallons or so splashing around

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:20:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep this , Some things I would wear gloves for and if messing with vapam I would wear those boot bag things just to prevent my boots from getting trashed.

Quoted:

Quoted:

This.

Gramoxone and 2-4-D...

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's awesome! At least he won't contaminate the rest of the species.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:21:05 PM EDT
[#21]

As you wish!
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Supposed to get an applicators licence..which involves some safety training...for what that's worth.

Many farmers hire the chemical applications done...and the big Terra-Gators have pressurized cabs with fairly sophisticated filter systems..although many of the chemicals are corrosive(will eat holes in the cab)..and some/most operators don't keep the machines in top-notch shape/cab filters changed etc.

I personaly consider the large scale chemical application thing taboo..and just hate working on the big applicators to the point I just won't unless it's a really good customer. I've gotten headaches and sinus issues just working on the applicators.

That chemical pesticide/herbicide shit is dangerous..I would seriously seek new employment before you damage yourself...
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:27:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

had a car load last year stole it and put it in a 5 gal bucket with a loose lid

farmer saw um they tore off and flipped the car with 3 gallons or so splashing around

I had no idea anhydrous could even be used for that! No wonder people get so whacked. That is powerful stuff.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:28:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Your avatar is perfect for this thread.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I have not lived on a farm since 1972 but we just did not give a fuck. DDT was legal, chewed lead fishing weights, washing tools in gasoline with bare hands, whatever... Times may have changed but dad is still alive at 83 and still works.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:36:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

So I work in a plant that makes chemicals yall use in the field. Products such as trafix,triflurex,induce, helfire etc. and they test our blood regularly to check for organophosphate poisoning. We recently had to replace an entire crew because of the whole crews blood test coming back bad. So I know in the plant we wear ppe to try and prevent contamination. But I wad wondering what do farmers do to protect themselves ? Or dont they ? I dont know shit about farming. Just figured we have preventative measures in place but what happens to the users when it leaves us ? Enlighten me please ?
You are exposed to more concentrated levels of the product. The raw materials that go into the product are what is the most risky.

I used to work in a chemical plant that made polyester resin used for boats. After the raw materials are mixed together you could get it on you and the exposure is very limited.

Some of the stuff that goes into the resin, however, can do some serious harm to you. We used diethylene glycol, and alot of "Amines" that cause severe damage to you if over exposed.

Most of the chemicals and raw materials you use are likely "Skin Absorbers" I will tell you from experience, if the label on that stuff say impervious PPE, and respirator, PLEASE use them.

When i hired in the chemical plant i was trained by people who had been doing that job for years and had become accustomed to not using the proper PPE and had not for years. Some of them (not all) as they aged started to develop cancers and stuff.

I left there after 10yrs , and that may not have been soon enough.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 6:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Your avatar is perfect for this thread.

Where do you think I got the pic
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Sonalan (ethalfluralin), Eptam (S-ethyl dipropylthiocarbamate) and 2 4 D were the main herbicides that I used growing up.  There were many days that I was literally bathing in that crap.  You bust a valve in the middle of a field you don't have time to waste getting anything more than a pair of gloves on.  

The worst one I had to deal with was Counter (terbufos)  insecticide.  That shit was too dangerous to mess with.  Skin contact is slightly more dangerous than eating it.  LD50 of 10.2 mg/kg in dermal application and 11.7 mg/kg oral.  I always had a mask and gloves on when loading up the planter.
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:04:11 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Meth Monkeys are fucking crazy

You can tell the ones that steal the ammonia cause their faces are all pocked up.

Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sonalan (ethalfluralin), Eptam (S-ethyl dipropylthiocarbamate) and 2 4 D were the main herbicides that I used growing up.  There were many days that I was literally bathing in that crap.  You bust a valve in the middle of a field you don't have time to waste getting anything more than a pair of gloves on.  

The worst one I had to deal with was Counter (terbufos)  insecticide.  That shit was too dangerous to mess with.  Skin contact is slightly more dangerous than eating it.  LD50 of 10.2 mg/kg in dermal application and 11.7 mg/kg oral.  I always had a mask and gloves on when loading up the planter.

Just the smell of that shit I was talkin bout earlier makes me high as hell. We opened the doors in single digit temps for ventilation. I dont see how farmers dont look like the people from "the hills have eyes"
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 7:09:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Yep this , Some things I would wear gloves for and if messing with vapam I would wear those boot bag things just to prevent my boots from getting trashed.
Quoted:
Quoted:

This.

Gramoxone and 2-4-D...

Yeah, that Vapam was tough stuff.  I got one drop on the top of my new Redwing boots.  Within 10 minutes I had to take them off and throw them away.  The top of my foot was burning badly.  I was always cautious about Temik.  I treated that stuff like dynamite.  I had the engineer for the company tell me once that if you were exposed to Temik, you would be dead within 50 steps of where you were exposed.  I did not play with that stuff at all.  Other than that, I treated Lannate with respect, as I know of someone who was put in the hospital; due to it.  I was careful handling any of the pyrethroid products since I did not like having my skin burn for 24 hours straight.  

Hawk, did you ever find any drums for me?
Link Posted: 2/1/2011 9:19:08 PM EDT
[#32]
Gear...what gear.....load it up in the sprayer and run that shit up and down the fields...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top