Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2001 5:09:41 AM EDT
I just thought I'd share some really good quotes with you guys and gals.

"You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. "
- Al Capone (1899-1947)

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. "
- Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"Nothing is wrong with California that a rise in the ocean level wouldn't cure. "
- Ross MacDonald (1915-1983)

"The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his. "
- General George Patton (1885-1945)
-  
"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."
- Henry Ford (1863-1947)

When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'Present' or 'Not guilty.'
Theodore Roosevelt

"Hanging one scoundrel, it appears, does not deter the next. Well, what of it? The first one is at least disposed of." ~ H. L. Mencken

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."
Tecumseh, Shawnee

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:17:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I just thought I'd share some really good quotes with you guys and gals.

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home."
Tecumseh, Shawnee
View Quote

EXCELLENT!  I like that one!

Here's my favorite.

"A human beeing should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog,
conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall,
set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone,
solve equations, analyze new problems, pitch manure, program a computer,
cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.

Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

And another Twain...when will another man such as Twain come along to remind the media of their job?  Not soon enough!

"In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce
and brave man, hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds
however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot."
-----Mark Twain
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:26:23 AM EDT
[#2]
"I wish it to be known that I was the last man of my tribe to surrender my rifle."
--Sitting Bull, July 19, 1881

"I am determined to sustain myself as long as possible & die like a soldier who never forgets what is due to his own honor & that of his country – Victory or Death."
--William Barrett Travis, at the Battle of The Alamo

“For those who possess and can wield arms are in a position to decide whether the constitution is to continue or not."
--Aristotle

“The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the “high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power.”
--Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)

"Turkish rule in Arabia did not end when the Turks left, but rather when the Arabians no longer viewed it as legitimate."
--T.E.Lawrence, "Seven Pillars of Wisdom"

"A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship."
--Alexander Tyler

“The mission of the Marine rifle squad is to locate, close with and destroy the enemy by fire and maneuver or to repel the enemy’s assault by fire and close combat.”
--Marine Guidebook

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#3]
"The germ of destruction of our nation is in the power of the judiciary, an irresponsible body - working like gravity by night and by day, gaining a little today and a little tomorrow, and advancing its noisless step like a thief over the field of jurisdiction, until all shall render powerless the checks of one branch over the other and will becdome as venal and oppressive as the government from which we separated"
---Thomas Jefferson, 1821
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 7:53:49 AM EDT
[#4]
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace.  We ask not your counsel nor your arms.  Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you.  May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."   --Samuel Adams

"I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size.   I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom.  My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.  It is not to inaugurate new programs, but to cancel old ones that do violence to the Constitution or that have failed their purpose, or that impose on the people an unwarranted financial burden.  I will not attempt to discover whether legislation is "needed" before I have first determined whether it is constitutionally permissible.   And if I should later be attacked for neglecting my constituents "interests, " I shall reply that I was informed that their main interest is liberty and that in that cause I am doing the very best I can."  (Barry Goldwater.)  

I wish some current republicans had the balls to say that.

"Screw 'em. Who cares what anybody else thinks." --Geroge C. Scott in the movie 'Angus'
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:36:26 AM EDT
[#5]
"The purpose of the Marine Corps is three fold:  Kill, kill, kill."
Gunny on first day of Marine ROTC, The Citadel, 1983
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:54:57 AM EDT
[#6]
"The urge to save humanity is almost always a  false front for the urge to rule."
        H.L. Mencken

The following is probably the most true and correct statement i've heard in a while:

"Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to
others."
       William A. White
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#7]
"That kid can't pour piss out of a boot, with a hole in the toe and directions on the heel, but he can damn well shoot"
Thanks dad! To my recuriter in 1974.
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 8:59:23 AM EDT
[#8]
[b]"ask not what your country can do for you - ask what you can do  for your country"[/b] JFK
Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:03:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Certainly one of the chief guarantees of freedom under any government, no matter how popular and respected, is the right of citizens to keep and bear arms. ... The right of citizens to bear arms is just one guarantee against arbitrary government, one more safegaurd against the tyranny which now appears remote in America but which historically has proven to be possible.
Hubert H Humprey, United States Senator (D-Minnesota)

Gun bans don't disarm criminals, gun bans attract them.
Walter Mondale, U.S. Ambassador to Japan
April 20, 1994

Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act of depriving a whole nation of arms, as the blackest.
Mahatma Gandhi
Gandhi, An Autobiography, M. K. Gandhi, page 446

Link Posted: 8/24/2001 9:11:07 AM EDT
[#10]
“Don’t, like the cat,  try to get more out of an experience than there is in it.
After having sat on a hot stove lid, he will not soon sit on one again.
Nor will he sit on a cold one.” -  Mark Twain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top