Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2004 9:13:24 AM EDT
Taking into consideration your family, the time you enjoy with them, anxiety issues from being away, and just knowing that you enjoy coming home everyday.
Now, add the fact that you are unemployed.

Would you take a contract job that is 3 hours away, come home on weekends, the contract lasts until new year, all expenses except chow, and $60 per hour.

Some of you may think I am nuts; however, I still question it.  Not my marriage, just me(hate time away).  After 10 years  on the real GI JOE ARMY TEAM and ass loads of time spent away.....I have my reservations.

FWIW: This is a real mission not a training scenario (this isnt a hypothetical situation...true and serious question)

edit: spelling

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:17:20 AM EDT
[#1]
What's it lead to, beside a little cash?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:18:26 AM EDT
[#2]
IT is a niche market...and it keeps you in it.....possible future with Big 5 firms
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:26:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, I would and have done similiar.  2 1/2 monthes go by very quickly.  I looked at it this way...I was trading the three hours I would usually be at home during the week when the kids and wife would be awak (6:00-9:00) for money that benefitted the entire family.  I set aside a portion of that money and took some time off work and take some longer trips for vacation.  This allowed us plenty of "Family time" together.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:26:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

...add the fact that you are unemployed...

Provide for your  family.  It's only a few months. Play with your kids while mommy brings home the bacon  or  explain  why you're doing what you're doing and  how it is taking care of them.  Which lesson do you want to teach??

FWIW: This is a real mission not a training scenario
What does this mean exactly?

Whatever you decide, I hope it works for your family and you get a steady job soon.   You obviously love your family and just  that gives you a  lot to be  thankful  for this  Thanksgiving.  Good luck.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:48:08 AM EDT
[#5]
I voted "Yes," but it is something that the family should back you on.  Seeing as they may be adversley effected by your lack of presence of the next few months, it would be good for you guys to discuss it.  It is good money, so that is a plus for everyone around.  On the surface, it sounds like something I would do, but only for short term.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:59:31 AM EDT
[#6]
If it's necessary, do it.

But only if you think your family can handle it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:45:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the input...had to make the decision fast........I also made a few phone calls......I turned it down for may reasons.  

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#8]
If you enjoy the work...

if your family can handle it....

If you can count on their support....

RUN FORREST, RUN!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top