Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 5:40:20 AM EDT
I need some help from those of you who are familier with this. Some friend's daughter is down to 88 pounds.  She is a senior in high school, home schooled, outstanding family.  This started about6 months ago, the wieght loss.  I am at a loss as to what to tell them.  They are looking to me as I am their pastor.  I am going to make some calls this afternoon to my school which has a counseling dept but with Christmas break still on, I don't know if I am going to reach anyone.  I just don't understand what is going on in her head to produce this activity.

Just thought I would see who might know something about this disorder.

patsue
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:53:11 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a mental disorder. Get her medical help immediately.

The sister of my senior year of high school girlfriend died of anorexia/bulimia. It's no joke. You can't just sit her down and tell her, "Hey, you're not fat. Look in the mirror, see how skinny you are?"

It's in her head and she needs attention fast. Get her in a hospital, then see about her and her family's spiritual needs.

**Edited for spelling because I typed this really fast.**
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 5:57:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 6:03:46 AM EDT
[#3]
People thought my wife was borderline anorexic in high school (5'8" and 115).  She wasn't.  Her father was 6 foot and 140 pounds in high school.  Her health was never in danger, and she outgrew it. 12 years later, she is still 5'8", and 135  

How tall is the girl?  Does the family have history of being very thin?
If the family has a regular physician, I would consult with him/her.  In my limited experience, a family doctor will oftentimes know how to approach mental health issues if they have a history with the patient, and will also be best equipped to diagnose any physical ailment that may be a cause or contributing factor.  Most good docs also will know where other resources are to be tapped to help the person.  A balanced approach to the mental, physical, and spiritual health of the person works best.  Be careful that the Doc doesn't just want to prescribe a pill though, I have seen one or two that take that approach, and I personally don't agree with it.  Also, being so thin (if way too thin for height/build), there may be physiological issues in getting back to a normal weight.

My $.02
Hope this helps.   Perhaps Medcop has some insight?

Edited to add that you obviously plan on looking after the spiritual needs of the girl and her family.....forgot to put that in.  They will need you!

Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:35:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Get professional medical right away. If it turns out to be nothing, so be it; but Karen Carpenter of the 70's singing group Carpenters, died from it.  Toward the end she was so gaunt, her eyes were so recessed into head, that you can see the death in her.
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 7:49:06 AM EDT
[#5]
My ex suffered from it...so did one of our friends..it is an emotional dissorder
Its a form of compulsive behavior not unlike other addictions..one becomes addicted to "not eating" everytime they hear someone say to them "hey you are looking great..you are so thin..." they get further reinforced for their behaviour..Body image is "unrealistic"  people with Anorexic/Bullemic disorder do not see themselves as others see them...when they look in the mirror they see a fat person...and so eat less and less...I know it sounds strange but that is part of the problem..food becomes an obession..either to gorge and vomit or to avoid..food takes on an unreal character..most of us dont give it another thought..Anorexics/Bullemics often overexcerise..had a friend in college who lived on one ice cream cone aday..and ran 10 miles daily...she actually looked like one of the victims at Auchswitz ..her legs like toothpicks..arms the same..and her face looked more like a skull than the pretty face she once had...she refused treatment..eventually quit college and dissapered...Get this girl professional help ASAP...she needs in patient help...after care support group ...its a matter of life and death...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top