Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 11/19/2012 1:28:57 PM EDT
At the silver shop buying some junk coins.  Guy that had been in the shop 10 min earlier comes in the store and tells the teller he had been under charged $100.  Sure enough the clerk looks at the receipt (they hand write them) and sure enough she forgot to carry the 1 and the bill should have been $100 more.  They tried to offer him a discount but he just said no need for that handed them a $100 bill and out the door he went.

To whom ever that was good on you sir.  Your mom and dad brought you up right.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:29:43 PM EDT
[#1]
There are still lots and lots of good people out there.  Just seems to me that the MSM only reports on the shitbirds.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
$100 is a big deal. Could have cost someone their job. Good for him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:38:48 PM EDT
[#3]
It's pretty sad when something that minimal restores your faith in humanity.  If an honest exchange isn't accepted in a case like that, I just don't know what to say.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I think you are rushing to judgement
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:40:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There are still lots and lots of good people out there.  Just seems to me that the MSM only reports on the shitbirds.

I am sure there are but I have known some good people when it comes to a business under charging, they treat it like a lottery.  I just don't get the disconnect and why people think it is ok to take advantage of a business when they wouldn't do that to their neighbor.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It's pretty sad when something that minimal restores your faith in humanity.  If an honest exchange isn't accepted in a case like that, I just don't know what to say.

I have not seen anyone in a long time do anything other than a victory dance when things like this happen.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:42:18 PM EDT
[#7]
That man believes in Karma.... as do I
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:45:10 PM EDT
[#8]
It's like the antithesis of a power washer thread.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#9]

Good for him.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:49:21 PM EDT
[#10]
With me, it's my conscience, knowing that something is left unfinished.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:50:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I found a dollar bill in the parking lot of a gas station the other day. I gave it to a firefighter collecting money at an intersection the next day.

What do I win?

GR
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Human?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:50:31 PM EDT
[#13]
I had the same thing happen to me at the scrap yard.

The owner came and talked to me, standing on the scale as I weighed in, and read my weight plus the 200# of the owner.  Cans were $.50/lb that day.

I didn't pay attention to  the numbers and walked back to the car with cash.  My wife had figured out what should have been paid.  My son and his fried were ecstatic that we basically had "found" (in their mind) an extra hundred bucks.

I put the car in park, hopped out and returned  to the window.  I was met with complete shock and silence as I told them their error, and slid the money back through the window.  

I told the boys that I don't steal from friends, even though I am a customer, I have been scrapping there for years and am treated well.  

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:53:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am sure there are but I have known some good people when it comes to a business under charging, they treat it like a lottery.  I just don't get the disconnect and why people think it is ok to take advantage of a business when they wouldn't do that to their neighbor.

People these days, by people I mean children, are being told by the ever present glowing boxes of main stream information all about the evils of the rich business owners. How they're stealing the money from their employees by not paying a "fair wage", by not offering "free healthcare" and by not paying "their fair share" of taxes.

It's going to get much much worse without some form of constant rebuttal system (ETA: aside from parents). Unfortunately none of these rich, fat-cat tax evading slave drivers will pull out the wallet and pay for an anti-MSM de-brainwasher system.

I kid, but only a little.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 1:57:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Doing stuff like that always works out.  Thirty years ago in Finland, I changed some money at a bank.  I went to the prettiest teller, as is my practice, gave her my $100 dollars in traveler's checks, and she gave me my cash.  As I was walking out, I realized she had given me $1000 dollars worth of Finnish money (don't remember what it's called).  I went back to her and told her she gave me the wrong amount.  She protested loudly until she realized I was saying she gave me ten times too much, not too little.  She was flabbergasted that I had given it back.  So much so, she took me home with her and screwed my brains out for the next week.  Doing right always pays off.  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:00:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

A big corporation isn't my neighbor. They don't give a shit about me, nor my welfare.

The local grocery store mega chain just recently spent $100,000's to promote the mayor's sales tax increase to fund Pre-K for illegal immigrant kids....Fuck be upon them.

A local mom and pop store is different.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:00:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I found a dollar bill in the parking lot of a gas station the other day. I gave it to a firefighter collecting money at an intersection the next day.

What do I win?

GR

You are bragging about it here to make yourself feel better.  Next time, just keep it to yourself and do it because it's the right thing to do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:02:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A big corporation isn't my neighbor. They don't give a shit about me, nor my welfare.

The local grocery store mega chain just recently spent $100,000's to promote the mayor's sales tax increase to fund Pre-K for illegal immigrant kids....Fuck be upon them.

local mom and pop store is different.

Well , your feedback won't go up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:04:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stealing is stealing...it doesn't make it right to steal from someone even if they are a dipshit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:06:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The disconnect is yours.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:09:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The disconnect is yours.

Huh?

Are you saying it is ok to steal from a buisness and not a neighbor?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The disconnect is yours.

Huh?

If they'll do it to a business, they'll do it to a neighbor.

ETA:  They're just not going to brag about it to another neighbor.   A thief is a thief is a thief.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:12:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Stealing is stealing, whether you are stealing from a friend or an enemy.  Doing right always pays off in the end.  See my post above.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:12:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Doing stuff like that always works out.  Thirty years ago in Finland, I changed some money at a bank.  I went to the prettiest teller, as is my practice, gave her my $100 dollars in traveler's checks, and she gave me my cash.  As I was walking out, I realized she had given me $1000 dollars worth of Finnish money (don't remember what it's called).  I went back to her and told her she gave me the wrong amount.  She protested loudly until she realized I was saying she gave me ten times too much, not too little.  She was flabbergasted that I had given it back.  So much so, she took me home with her and screwed my brains out for the next week.  Doing right always pays off.  

Last time I tried to return a small overage the cashier had given me, I received 3 separate vacuous stares as repayment for my troubles, each time I tried to explain it to her. I practically had to pull out a pen and paper and diagram it for her.

Also taught another c-store cashier how to count change back.

as in:

Your total was $14.50... out of a $20.

sooo, here's 50 cents, that makes $15, and another $5 makes your $20.

HTF can you cashier for the largest chain in Texas and not be able to count back change?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:14:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The disconnect is yours.

Huh?

If they'll do it to a business, they'll do it to a neighbor.

Oh gotcha.

Maybe.  Perhaps I am being naive...Personally I know some honest people when it comes to dealing with neighbors, friends, family.  Yet if the ATM slips them an extra $20 they treat it like the lottery.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:15:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stealing is stealing...it doesn't make it right to steal from someone even if they are a dipshit.

If I bill a customer incorrectly, I eat the mistake. Welcome to the real world.

You can also find threads here where I've found and returned wallets with cash and credit cards and turned down rewards (while I was so broke I didn't have $20 for groceries)- so leave your white-knight high horse in the stable.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:17:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also find threads here where I've found and returned wallets and credit cards and turned down rewards- so leave your white-knight high horse in the stable.

Nope I will leave it out thank you very much.    

It is nice that you do that...but that is your choice.

If a customer knowingly takes advantage of an under billed invoice they are stealing.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#28]
I Like That....

Good Stuff Happens!!
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:21:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can also find threads here where I've found and returned wallets and credit cards and turned down rewards- so leave your white-knight high horse in the stable.

If a customer knowingly takes advantage of an under billed invoice they are stealing.

Take it easy on him. He said he doesn't steal from everyone.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:24:01 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so glad one of the people I was talking about wrote it down in black and white...ok to steal from a buisness but not ok to steal from a person is what it boils down too.

Sigh
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:24:06 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Golden rule.

I treat them the way that they treat me.

I've turned down free sodas and small discounts at local places because I want to make sure they stay in business.

I fear you've lost your reigns.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:29:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so glad one of the people I was talking about wrote it down in black and white...ok to steal from a buisness but not ok to steal from a person is what it boils down too.

Sigh

I find the moral outrage and umbrage hilarious. I knew the white knights would come out of the woodwork to point their fingers and yell.. "there goes a bag guy".

Yet they seem unphased that they elect politicians that spend their time enriching themselves to the tune of millions of dollars, but they never seem to raise a peep about it.

If The Brady campaign sent you a check for $20... what would you do with it? ... or what if it was from Union Asshats to Reelect Obama.... still in such a hurry to give it back?

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Golden rule.

I treat them the way that they treat me.

I've turned down free sodas and small discounts at local places because I want to make sure they stay in business.

I fear you've lost your reigns.

Can you not read what you wrote down?  Why is this a hard concept so hard for you and others like you to grasp.

If you take advantage of someone...even if they made a mistake it is still stealing.

If the person who made the mistake chooses to give you something because of their mistake...that is their call.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:31:59 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh

I find the moral outrage and umbrage hilarious. I knew the white knights would come out of the woodwork to point their fingers and yell.. "there goes a bag guy".

Yet they seem unphased that they elect politicians that spend their time enriching themselves to the tune of millions of dollars, but they never seem to raise a peep about it.

If The Brady campaign sent you a check for $20... what would you do with it? ... or what if it was from Union Asshats to Reelect Obama.... still in such a hurry to give it back?

Yep. Just because you can come up with an excuse to steal doesn't mean we all do.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:33:28 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh

So you're a thief with an excuse.

How terribly unique.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I have several that owe me and know they owe me. Its not a lot of money but its a good filter to find out who I will work for in the future.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:44:03 PM EDT
[#37]
The MSM has you believe the world to be an evil and scary place that way you look to the Government for answers and protection from this falseness that they themselves perpetuate.

The More You Know
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.. it's almost like you can't read and comprehend simple sentences or something...  
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:48:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so glad one of the people I was talking about wrote it down in black and white...ok to steal from a business but not ok to steal from a person is what it boils down too.

Sigh

What the heck are you talking about...focus.  

A private entity can send money to whom ever they want.  If they want to give it away that is their business but they gave it away.

Now this is a hard concept for you so read this slow.

If someone gives something to someone knowingly that is not stealing.  If business x gives customer y a discount on customer y's bill and business x does this intentionally that is not stealing.

If business x accidentally bills customer y to little and customer y knows about it and does not try to make up the difference then customer y is stealing.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:50:24 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL.. it's almost like you can't read and comprehend simple sentences or something...  

It's almost like you're a thief or something. LOL
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:50:36 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
At the silver shop buying some junk coins.  Guy that had been in the shop 10 min earlier comes in the store and tells the teller he had been under charged $100.  Sure enough the clerk looks at the receipt (they hand write them) and sure enough she forgot to carry the 1 and the bill should have been $100 more.  They tried to offer him a discount but he just said no need for that handed them a $100 bill and out the door he went.

To whom ever that was good on you sir.  Your mom and dad brought you up right.

Under similar circumstances, I had to inform the cashier that she was off by a factor of 17 or 18.  She gave me a puzzled look, because it was just a bag full of what looked to be common pocket change to her.  I walked her through the math and paid the appropriate amount.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:51:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sigh

How terribly unique.

Slow your roll little dude.

If you're going to call names and throw out insults- you'd better have some proof to back it up.

I've found neighbor's wallets and returned them and not even taken the reward money when I was too broke to by groceries.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:53:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A private entity can send money to whom ever they want.  If they want to give it away that is their business but they gave it away.

If someone gives something to someone knowingly that is not stealing.  If business x gives customer y a discount on customer y's bill and business x does this intentionally that is not stealing.

If business x accidentally bills customer y to little and customer y knows about it and does not try to make up the difference then customer y is stealing.

lol.. you've managed to confuse yourself.. and contradict yourself in the same post.

Congrats .
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Lots of honest people out there still. Years ago I cashed a check for $7.92 and the teller gave me an envelope with $792 in it. I sent it back (drive up teller) and told her she needed to look at the check again. The look on her face was priceless! If I had kept my mouth shut she would have probably been fired and they would have probably figured it out as well. It does make you feel good when you do the right thing even when you don't have to.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:55:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am so glad one of the people I was talking about wrote it down in black and white...ok to steal from a business but not ok to steal from a person is what it boils down too.

Sigh

How terribly unique.

Slow your roll little dude.

If you're going to call names and throw out insults- you'd better have some proof to back it up.

I've found neighbor's wallets and returned them and not even taken the reward money when I was too broke to by groceries.

Yet you don't understand a very simple concept.

You think that just because the billing party makes a mistake it is ok for customer to knowingly take advantage of the mistake.

You tout the golden rule yet you don't fully comprehend it.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Oh look.. it's this post again.  Someone gets them self all worked up over their inability to read a paragraph.

Go back and reread the post before you make baseless charges and embarrass yourself even more.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:56:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Somebody say Faith ?

Yeah I know her real name is Audrey.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:56:50 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:

lol.. you've managed to confuse yourself.. and contradict yourself in the same post.

Congrats .

Ok genius...where did I contradict myself?
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:57:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Jeez you guys, cut the quote trees or take it to PM.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 2:58:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh look.. it's this post again.  Someone gets them self all worked up over their inability to read a paragraph.

Go back and reread the post before you make baseless charges and embarrass yourself even more.

You are the one that should be embarrassed.
You said yourself you will steal from a business
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top