Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2002 6:10:57 AM EDT
I received this email today and felt real funny about responding to it.  It looks like this is a scam site - you go there, enter in your password and paypal account thinking you are updating it, but I think instead you are basically giving away your info to someone else.

"[email protected]

YOUR ONLINE PAYPAL ACCOUNT WILL BE CLOSED IF YOUR DONT UPDATE

Your information is invalid , pleas update to link :
       http://www.paypalupdatesites.go.ro

[email protected]"

Fair warning if you receive this email.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:17:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
  Your information is invalid , pleas update to link :
       http://www.paypalupdatesites.go.ro
View Quote

Jesus, I'd hope that people would figure out that this is a scam.  I'm SURE paypal sends out notices with bad grammar/spelling telling you to visit a site with a Romanian domain name... yep  SURE of it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:29:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:31:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Why dont you pass the email on to the FBI so they can shut the site down.

Just for the hell of it, I logged on and, let's just say, was very creative with what I entered in on their site.

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:34:51 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a tack, Mods???

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:38:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't think the FBI is going to be shutting down any sites in Romania.  

Then again, if anyone actually goes to this site and provides financial information they DESERVE to get taken.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#6]
The FBI can tell InterNIC to deny routing to that domain name.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 6:43:29 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd definitely NOT visit that link... with a .RO end on the domain, it's NOT in the US.  

NEVER do ANYTHING like that when the domain ends with any other country domain.  

My brother in law has been hit by credit card fraud.  He received a couple Gibson bass guitars, and on the invoice, he found the person's email address.  It was in Indonesia or some place like that.  He's changed his CC account a couple times, but still got hit.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2002 9:51:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Then again, if anyone actually goes to this site and provides financial information they DESERVE to get taken.
View Quote

Dude, not everyone is as brilliant as you.  Give the poor, dumb, befuddled masses a break, huh? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:03:53 AM EDT
[#9]
It's a scam! If the web address doesn't begin with www.paypal.com/<> then it isn't
for real. Paypal already sent out numerous emails to it's users over this very issue.
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:10:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Yep, definitely a STINKER![shock]
Link Posted: 9/5/2002 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#11]
sites down. home.ro nailed it.

so no more suckers should be taken in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top