[#1]
no embed
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
no embed

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:11:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, that ROF looks like it sucks on the receiving end.  I believe somebody called it the "thousand yard shotgun" for the kinds of nowhere-to-hide patterns it could produce.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:22:52 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:24:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Devastating weapon.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The MG-3 was a lot of fun to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Our WWII Vets had balls of steel
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]
You do know that any gun video with 1.6M views has been posted here at least once before, right?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Ferocious. How do you psyche yourself up to face that one?
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:49:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Re-affirms my WANT for an MG-42.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I sure as hell don't know. I had a couple Uncles that could have probably told you 28th ID and 1st ID.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:51:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

As Lt. Spears states in Band of Brothers, "Private, you just have to accept that you are already dead."
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
I'd probably be inclined to wait for the mortarmen to take care of it, or at least lay smoke, while the Germans maneuvered on me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:55:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Re-affirms my WANT for an MG-42.

Next time I see a parts kit for sale Im going to jump through hoops to buy it.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:59:20 PM EDT
[#15]
I didn't watch the video, but I wouldn't hesitate to charge into the machinegun shown in OP.

Jane
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 3:59:29 PM EDT
[#16]
The way to.assualt a mg42 was either at barrel change or with indirect fires.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:03:02 PM EDT
[#17]
God bless the men who had to.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#18]
That's why the scene inSaving Private Ryan where they directly assaulted the MG42 nest was so stupid and pointless.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I didn't watch the video, but I wouldn't hesitate to charge into the machinegun shown in OP.

Jane

You've got brass ovaries, then.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Or by wading through a hundred yards of chest deep water and then crossing a couple hundred yards of open beach.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:10:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Not really, it doesn't have a barrel in it.  

Jane

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
You do know that any gun video with 1.6M views has been posted here at least once before, right?

Wow, you sure showed him.  It was awful that I had to watch that ( in GD no less) and others had to comment.  Thanks for squaring him away, we owe you.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Shot one. Tons of fun!
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:21:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Jane

I see what you did ther
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#25]
The Soviets called it: Hitler's Buzz Saw.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:25:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Jane

Damn

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:28:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I think I mentioned this the last time this video was posted but I remember watching an old training film that was used to encourage Allied troops to keep moving when they heard an MG42. A lot of soldiers would stop their advance and instinctively go for cover if an MG42 opened up in their area. It had a line in the film that went something like "Just because you can hear it, doesn't necessarily mean the machine gun crew is aiming at you." Personally I think I'd dig for China if I heard an MG42 open up while I was advancing.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Interesting story

Heinrich Severloh ,nicknamed "Beast of the Beach" by G.I.'s at Omaha Beach, manned a MG-42 emplacement by himself, and kept them pinned down for hours

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Severloh

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#29]

What was the flaw with this gun or what has been improved upon? From the comments here, I'd expect it to still be in service.

eta. wikipedia has enlightened me with the mg3.

eta. i also see that the mg3 is going to be replaced at the squad level with the hk121.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I think I mentioned this the last time this video was posted but I remember watching an old training film that was used to encourage Allied troops to keep moving when they heard an MG42. A lot of soldiers would stop their advance and instinctively go for cover if an MG42 opened up in their area. It had a line in the film that went something like "Just because you can hear it, doesn't necessarily mean the machine gun crew is aiming at you." Personally I think I'd dig for China if I heard an MG42 open up while I was advancing.

There were many films dedicated to making the MG42 seem less lethal.

One thing is for certain - Out of all the MGs of WW2 , one is still being used today with few modifications, and that's the MG42 as the MG3.

It's amazing when you think that 70some years ago people could think up of a weapon that would put fear in the hearts of people such as that gun did. There's a scene out of Brest Fortress where a MG42 crew is gunning down Russians by the hundreds. When I think of the MG42 I now think of that scene and hundreds of Russians running to an immediate death at the opening of that tunnel.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:43:57 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or by wading through a hundred yards of chest deep water and then crossing a couple hundred yards of open beach.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f4/1944_NormandyLST.jpg

Those were fucking men. I couldn't imagine being in one of those boats, knowing as soon as the bridge dropped you was probably going to die. Saving Private Ryan's opening scene on the WW2 front shown it best. Fucking Insane.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:44:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#33]
It we had thought it out, we would probably still have the MG42 today.  We were screwed wth the M60.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:49:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Jane

OMG!!!!!!

Jane... You are my sunshine!

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:54:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
What was the flaw with this gun or what has been improved upon? From the comments here, I'd expect it to still be in service.

eta. i also see that the mg3 is going to be replaced at the squad level with the hk121.

It is still in service, It's call the MG3 and used by several armies including the Germans. The only difference is better materials and a heavier bolt that slowed down the ROF from 20/s to about 12/s.

Look familiar? :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYNFilb-YA
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Jane

OMG!!!!!!

Jane... You are my sunshine!

A smartass is what I am.  And a serious MG 42 fan.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Jane

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:04:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Probably been greased by one of those more than once doing WWII reenacting. The sound will raise the hair on the back of your neck. best, Rob
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:10:13 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

It is still in service, It's call the MG3 and used by several armies including the Germans. The only difference is better materials and a heavier bolt that slowed down the ROF from 20/s to about 12/s.

Why, yes. Now that you mention it, it does.  

Knowing this design has not been dramatically improved upon has me curious about the mechanicals. I'll have to do some reading on that. I had an opportunity to shoot one years ago, but definitely did not appreciate the significance of it.

Is it possible to swap to a lighter bolt and higher ROF as needed?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 5:26:24 PM EDT
[#40]
I recall that they had to reverse engineer the MG-3 from the better examples they had of the MG-42 since the drawings had been destroyed.  

Why we didn't put it in service in the  US is beyond me, but I'm sure NIH and other politics played a part.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:17:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You DO realise how quick you can change out the barrel of an MG-42, right?

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Or when a belt was loaded backwards.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I recall that they had to reverse engineer the MG-3 from the better examples they had of the MG-42 since the drawings had been destroyed.  

Why we didn't put it in service in the  US is beyond me, but I'm sure NIH and other politics played a part.

T24 in 30-06, failed testing due to a manufacturing flaw in the prototype.  The Army doesn't seem to have tried very hard (or at all) to fix it, I guess they chalked up German success to magic elves or something, project was shelved hastily.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:01:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c1/MG3_Tripod.JPEG/800px-MG3_Tripod.JPEG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/5/55/MG3_Training.JPEG/800px-MG3_Training.JPEG

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9f/BundeswehrMG3.jpg/800px-BundeswehrMG3.jpg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uYNFilb-YA

The 1000+ rds/min is what made it legendary

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:10:40 PM EDT
[#45]

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I sure as hell don't know. I had a couple Uncles that could have probably told you 28th ID and 1st ID.  
The old Bloody Bucket.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Listen to that. Fast.
Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:06 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Jane

Jane

I feel violated.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:26 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Jane

Since it isn't embedded I think that we could just stroll up and shoot the operator with our pistols.

Link Posted: 1/7/2012 9:15:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Old guy I knew said the best way to stop an MG-42 was to get all set all your guys spread out, count to 3, then just blast the area with your magazines. Worked well enough, he said.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top