Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2005 5:28:21 PM EDT
No, I didn't come home and hear my parents having sex. I wish it was that simple.

Just got a letter from the blood bank that I donated to..........................

my blood showed 'non-confirmed' results and my donation was discarded.

Oh man.

No, I'm not gay, nor have I ever been. I have been faithful to my wife. If you saw her, you would know that no other woman would ever do. I don't shoot up. I have had any transfusions. I do travel out of country quite a bit.

Can't call until tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if they will even tell me anything over the phone. The letter came with a release form that I am supposed to fill out and mail in.

This is just a little too much for me to handle right now. Two weeks ago, I sat for a week wondering whether I had lung cancer after a chest x-ray showed 'spots'. Turned out it was just scar tissue. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that week.

Yesterday, I just found out we may be expecting our fifth child.

Now this..........................

I have NEVER asked this before, but I really could some prayers right now if you have some to spare.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:31:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hang in there bro. Prayers on the way.

Aviator
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:34:09 PM EDT
[#2]
They're on the way.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:34:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Could be nothing, one of many false positives they get and they're just being cautious. Relax.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:34:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#5]

Prayers are on the way.

Deej86
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
It could be anything from false positives to low iron... it is something to keep an eye on, not lose sleep over!

Don't get worked up... it will get sorted out .

- BG
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:37:34 PM EDT
[#7]

Prayers are on the way, hang in there.....prob just nothing....
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm sure this is nothing. You're jumping to conclusions. Breathe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks guys.

It has just been an emotional roller coaster for the past couple of weeks. Too much to go into, but I am and have been in emotional overload for sometime now and can't take many more things. Bad part is right now, the slightest thing becomes exponential in size.

I really do appreciate it. And to think that my wife thinks that I don't have many friends. She just doesn't understand that I just don't know most of your names or what you look like. I'm probably worse for the former, but better off for the latter.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll say some prayers for you.

But you need to start "Freakin' out", and lose the G.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:42:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I'll say some prayers for you.

But you need to start "Freakin' out", and lose the G.  

OK. G
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:43:32 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Could be nothing, one of many false positives they get and they're just being cautious. Relax.

+1

Could be something as simple as a clerical error.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:46:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
No, I didn't come home and hear my parents having sex. I wish it was that simple.

Just got a letter from the blood bank that I donated to..........................

my blood showed 'non-confirmed' results and my donation was discarded.

Oh man.

No, I'm not gay, nor have I ever been. I have been faithful to my wife. If you saw her, you would know that no other woman would ever do. I don't shoot up. I have had any transfusions. I do travel out of country quite a bit.

Can't call until tomorrow morning. I'm not sure if they will even tell me anything over the phone. The letter came with a release form that I am supposed to fill out and mail in.

This is just a little too much for me to handle right now. Two weeks ago, I sat for a week wondering whether I had lung cancer after a chest x-ray showed 'spots'. Turned out it was just scar tissue. Needless to say, I didn't sleep much that week.

Yesterday, I just found out we may be expecting our fifth child.

Now this..........................

I have NEVER asked this before, but I really could some prayers right now if you have some to spare.

trust me on this...blood samples are thrown away all the time. In addition, false negatives done by Western Blot or Elisa testing; which i believe blood-banks use are false all the time. It needs to be confirmed by some other method like DNA PCR or a second batch of tests. If you're really freaked out, go to a local clinic and get tested. Or go buy a HomeAccess HIV test at the drug-store. They cost $60, you draw blood at home and send it to a lab in a self enclosed FED-EX envelope; then you call to get your results in 3-days.  No names are given or asked for any of these tests.

If you really want to put your mind at ease, HIV is a somewhat difficult virus to catch. There is a one in 10,000 per episode chance of catching HIV from unprotected sex.  Hang in there and get teste but there is a HUGE, HUGE chance that you're not positive.

Hang in there buddy, I know you'll be ok. The odds are way, way, way , way in your favor.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:47:16 PM EDT
[#14]
I know what it's like to be frightened like that. Prayers sent

GM
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:48:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Relax.  I had the same thing happen to me a few years back.  Bloodbank said I was postive for Hep C.  I was like WTF?  Went to see my Doc with the letter they sent me, got retested and came back A+ clean.  My doctor told me that they have a lot of false positives.  That was about 10 years ago, no problems since then either.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:50:33 PM EDT
[#16]
sent
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Prayers sent

GR
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Relax. Mine was rejected once because the idiot extracting it was a couple of ounces short. They rejected the enire pint as a result. Really pissed me off.............
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I really do appreciate it. And to think that my wife thinks that I don't have many friends. She just doesn't understand that I just don't know most of your names or what you look like. I'm probably worse for the former, but better off for the latter.

Profound, and true. Keep your head up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:01:12 PM EDT
[#20]
my dad was told when he was young and newly married he had hepatitis--bad time for him and my mom

he didnt

keep breathing  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Like the others said, try to relax.  Blood banks are VERY conservative and will trash a donation at the drop of a hat.  Don't sweat until the CDC bags your house.
matthew
p.s. relax!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Did you give blood when you were hammered?

I can just see some kid getting blood and becoming wasted.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:13:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Don't worry, as others have said the screening is pretty non specific and has alot of false positives. Blue for the virus, green for the anti-virus
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#24]
It's probably nothing to worry about. Relax.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:14:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:17:44 PM EDT
[#26]
I was big supporter of blood drives even got 50% of my staff to give blood one year, about 45 people.  Then "It" came my blood which was always excepted for many years was "rejected"

OMG!! Holy Shit! what the f***? could I have? Aids, Hepititus??? what ??? well it turned out t be that I was hitting the Bacardi a little Too often which showed that an enzyme form my liver could have ment that I had, what at the time was called Non- A, Non- B hepititus, now known as type "C" hepititus. All tests were negative. No hepititus, still drink Bacardi rum, just not as much.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:45:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Dude... I know this is easier said than done because I am a worry wart to the 100th power!

TRY and relax.... I was diagnosed as SEVERE Anemic and yet I was worrying my ass off... Wife was basically SHOVELING spinach down my throat to get my iron levels up. I go back in a few weeks and take another test and my levels are 100% normal... I said GREAT.,... Doctor says "No... NOT great... no one can go from the levels that you were at to normal in such a short amount of time"

NOW I am freaking out more... what was wrong with me??

Well, this is what happened... my wife who is amemic to start with was pregnant so her levels were not good. She had her blood test done a minute after mine... yup, they switched them.

Maybe yours were switched, Maybe they got a false reading, You will know tomorrow and you will see it was nothing to worry about.

BTW... Congratulations on the new arrival soon!!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:47:01 PM EDT
[#28]
I wish you the best, bro.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:16 PM EDT
[#29]
Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Prayers sent....more to follow.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Praying for you.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Could be something simple.  My dad has some sort of blood thing that flags some hideous disease, which he doesn't have.  He can't donate blood because the screen detects the same thing every time.  

Could be something weird like this.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#33]
To save money, they test for HIV by putting a bunch of peoples blood together, and seeing if ANYONES blood in that batch is positive, if so, everyones blood is rejected.

It may not be you, but another guy or gal who your blood was tested with.

wonderful system ehh?

I will say a prayer for you.

Remember that God is in control, nothing is random or not meant to happen, we just dont know God's plan, so we get scared when God's plan is unfolding in our lives as it has been planned for us from the begining of time
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Prayers sent.  Relax and go in for a real test.  With the history you related, you have nothing to worry about.  The retest will be negative you'll see.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:22:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Thanks again guys.

Because of all who have responded, I will be able to sleep tonight. I can't tell you how much more relaxed I am after reading your replies. Pucker factor is still pretty high, but coming down.

Fortunately, I have a physical already scheduled as soon as I come home from Mexico. I doubt the testing center will be willing to give up much information over the phone in the morning because of HIPPA and confidentiality laws, etc. So, I'm calling my doctor on the way into the office tomorrow to see if she can get me in earlier just to draw a blood sample and get it sent off. Maybe I will know what is, or hopefully, what isn't wrong, by the end of the week.

Fingers crossed.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:27:27 PM EDT
[#36]
You'll be allright!  I bet its nothing at all, and they just goofed somehow.  Have a beer and relax.

Prayers sent to the big man upstairs for you and your family.  Congrats!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:28:26 PM EDT
[#37]
I just got over the anxiety of an overzealous radiologist thinking I **MIGHT** have a Pineal Gland Tumor (Deep in the Brain, "incidental" finding on an MRI) Had to wait a week to have the Neurosurgeon tell me I had nothing to worry about...I have a more prominet pineal gland than most. I know how you feel, as I have a daughter that's just about to turn one.

This board and it's members, along with some other really good friends helped me immensely, with prayers and encouragement and just letting me vent.

Prayers out that you'll find rest in the interim and that there will be nothing wrong in the end.

SG

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:34:44 PM EDT
[#38]
I know how you feel.  Was stuck with a trochantor needle (very sharp!) in surgery a couple years ago, and the hospital was 80% medicaid patients, this pt. was no exception and could have had anything.  

I was freaked and any comments like don't worry didn't ease my mind much.  I did however test negative and the pt. gave authority for tests as well, so it came out fine.  

Hang in there, I'm sure it's nothing.  They are picky about blood these days.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:43:36 PM EDT
[#39]
It'll be cool, man.  Prayers sent.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:09:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Prayers sent from another guy whose wife fears that most of his personal interactions are with guys on this forum.  
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#41]
I've been there dude.  The moment of finding out whether I was neg or pos was the most stressful moment of my life.  Had I been pos I would not have married my wife and forced her to deal with that.

To ease your mind, get to a local testing facilty ASAP.  They have a test now that can get results in 15 minutes.  Trust me, it's worth it - the stress will REALLY fuck you up.

Prayers sent as well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:36:25 PM EDT
[#42]
Done!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top