User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/21/2003 1:44:29 PM EDT
no details yet
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:48:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Preliminary reports state no injuries. A bomb in the Yale University mailroom.

Edited to add that further reports have said that the explosion was due to "suspicious activity" and not specifically a bomb.

We will see.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:51:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Good idea.  Get the lawyers while they're still in larval stage.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#3]
[sick humor]Its a start![/sick humor]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:56:14 PM EDT
[#4]
[shock]

[url]http://www.ctnow.com/news/custom/newsat3/hc-yale-explode,0,5120204.story?coll=hc%2Dheadlines%2Dnewsat3[/url]

Explosion Rocks Yale Law School

The Associated Press

May 21 2003, 5:20 PM EDT

NEW HAVEN -- An explosion damaged part of the Yale University law school today. A city spokesman said the blast apparently occurred in a mail room.

James Foye, a spokesman for Mayor John DeStefano, said he had no information about injuries. A fire department dispatcher said crews were on the scene but had no details.

Barbara Safriet, an associate dean at the law school, said fire officials told her that there were no injuries reported, but crews were still checking the building.

New Haven police spokeswoman Bonnie Winchester also said early reports indicated the explosion was in a mail room, and said it might have affected more than one room. Police believe some kind of explosive device was involved.

Witnesses reported a loud boom and flying debris shortly before 5 p.m. Police shut down the city block around the law school.

Alexandra Alperovich, a law school student, said she was sitting in the student lounge when she heard the explosion. She saw a wall to the alumni lounge collapse.

"It was very smoky. Everything started falling and I just ran out right away," she said.

Alperovich said she wasn't sure whether anyone was in the alumni lounge at the time. She said she couldn't tell where explosion originated.

Sari Bashi, another law school student, said she was about to get into an elevator when she heard the explosion.

"There was a lot of debris and dust coming down. Some doors to a classroom have blown out," she said.

The incident came as the nation was on elevated alert for possible terrorist attacks and several hours after President Bush -- a Yale alumnus -- visited the state to speak at the U.S. Coast Guard Academy graduation ceremony in New London.

A spokeswoman for the FBI in New Haven said members of the agency's Joint Terrorism Task Force were dispatched to the scene.

"We treat this kind of incident the same no matter what alert color we're at," she said.
Copyright 2003 Associated Press

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:56:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Great, that's real funny.  Make light of possible americans killed by terrorists.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 1:57:24 PM EDT
[#6]
looks like a fairly large explosion..
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:00:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Thanks cduarte, man that was quick!

This seems like a pretty good sized blast.

Maybe LPG? Or low explosive like dynamite.

Ooops, dynamite is a high explosive.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:00:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

speechless... just fucking speechless
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#9]
::loading mags::
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:02:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Could be a natural gas leak
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:06:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm guessing its not foreign but domestic.  Remember a Yale law prof got blowed up (that's a technical term) by the Unabomber awhile back.  I'm guessing this time its NOT al quaida.
View Quote

not necessarily, Yale is an elite US school and it's very likely that it could be a target of foreign terrorists.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:06:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Great, that's real funny.  Make light of possible americans killed by terrorists.
View Quote

You're right.  Some non-lawyers might have been hurt.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:07:44 PM EDT
[#14]

On further review I gotta' add that dynamite is classified as a high explosive.

My training in this was a LONG time ago.

Yeah, I'm thinking gas.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

it could have been gas, but it's more likely that it was a bomb in a package. Remember, it was in a mailroom. See the article I posted, it took down a wall and blew out doors, that sounds like HE to me.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:10:18 PM EDT
[#16]
I say we hold off (if it is possible with the group..j/k) on the accusations of who did it until we get more info.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:11:51 PM EDT
[#17]

okrobocop did it!

couldn't resist.

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:12:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Actually, given the fact that it was at a law [i]school[/i], odds are no lawyers were hurt.  Just mailroom employees if anyone.  But hey, they work for a place that trains potential lawyers, so they probably deserve to die too, right?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:12:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Fox just said that nobody was hurt- whew

Looks like it went off in the auditorium and wasn't a mail bomb. That's where the worst of the damage was anyway.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#20]
[url]http://www.command-post.org/gwot/archives/007174.html[/url]
May 21, 2003
Explosion At Yale
At this hour, MSNBC and CNN are reporting an explosion in the mail room at the Yale University Law School. CNN adds the only other detail; that "one floor has collapsed."

UPDATE: Matt Drudge links this story by Associated Press. No great detail, but it's the earliest that I've seen.

UPDATER: MSNBC is now carrying live coverage from local affiliate WVIT-TV, reporting that they "have it confirmed from one source" that this explosion "was, in fact, a bomb".

UPDATERER: MSNBC is now speaking to Yale Daily News reporter Nathan Francis, who says that the explosion actually took place in a classroom. This may mean that this story does not belong on this page, but we'll see.

Posted by Billy Beck at May 21, 2003 05:24 PM | TrackBack

Comments
From a mail room? sounds like a local nut not a forign one.

Posted by: Ronin at May 21, 2003 05:38 PM
Just guessing, but Bush's daughter Barbara is a Junior (?) at Yale. So perhaps a terrorist group sent a Bomb to her to detonate at a certain time, but she never picked up the package or something and it just exploded in the "Mail Room".

FOX has said that Barbara is already with her parents, so I believe she's alright...

Posted by: Anenga at May 21, 2003 05:47 PM
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:15:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Maybe one of them was your mother, sister or daughter.  That would be poetic.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:16:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Just heard that president bush was in CT today.  Also, let's not forget one of the Bush twins goes to Yale...coincidence?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:17:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
[url]http://www.command-post.org/gwot/archives/007174.html[/url]
May 21, 2003
Explosion At Yale
At this hour, MSNBC and CNN are reporting an explosion in the mail room at the Yale University Law School. CNN adds the only other detail; that "one floor has collapsed."

UPDATE: Matt Drudge links this story by Associated Press. No great detail, but it's the earliest that I've seen.

UPDATER: MSNBC is now carrying live coverage from local affiliate WVIT-TV, reporting that they "have it confirmed from one source" that this explosion "was, in fact, a bomb".

UPDATERER: MSNBC is now speaking to Yale Daily News reporter Nathan Francis, who says that the explosion actually took place in a classroom. This may mean that this story does not belong on this page, but we'll see.

Posted by Billy Beck at May 21, 2003 05:24 PM | TrackBack

Comments
From a mail room? sounds like a local nut not a forign one.

Posted by: Ronin at May 21, 2003 05:38 PM
Just guessing, but Bush's daughter Barbara is a Junior (?) at Yale. So perhaps a terrorist group sent a Bomb to her to detonate at a certain time, but she never picked up the package or something and it just exploded in the "Mail Room".

FOX has said that Barbara is already with her parents, so I believe she's alright...

Posted by: Anenga at May 21, 2003 05:47 PM
View Quote
View Quote

I forgot that one of the Bush daughter was there, that makes it even more suspicious. Well it'll be pretty easy to tell what kind of explosive was used, and it was a big blast, they're saying now that a floor collapsed.

[shock] this sucks, I want to go kick some terrorist butt now, and then sew them up in pig carcasses.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Man, you obviously feel secure behind that keyboard...

Anybody know this shitheel real world?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:33:34 PM EDT
[#25]
Explosion Hits Yale University Law School
7 minutes ago  Add U.S. National - AP to My Yahoo!

By DIANE SCARPONI, Associated Press Writer

NEW HAVEN, Conn. - An explosion in a mail room damaged part of the Yale University law school Wednesday. No injuries were reported, but the cause of the blast wasn't immediately known.

AP Photo

Smoke rose from downtown and witnesses said the blast sent debris flying at about 5 p.m. City and police officials said the explosion apparently happened in a mail room.

"I saw a huge fireball come out to the middle of the hallway," said law student Bob Hoo, who was in a hallway on the ground floor of the law school. "It was there and then it was gone."

Hoo said he did not see anything catch fire or anyone injured before he fled. Law student Alexandra Alperovich, who was sitting in the student lounge, said she saw a wall to the alumni lounge collapse after the blast, but wasn't sure whether anyone was inside.

"Everything started falling and I just ran out right away," she said.

The FBI (news - web sites) sent members of the agency's terrorism task force were sent to the scene.

The incident came as the nation was on elevated alert for possible terrorist attacks and several hours after President Bush (news - web sites) — a Yale alumnus — visited the state to speak at the Coast Guard Academy graduation ceremony in New London.

A Yale professor, David J. Gelernter, was seriously injured in 1993 when a Unabomber mail bomb exploded in his campus office. His right hand, arm, ear, lungs and other internal organs were injured.

Theodore Kaczynski was sentenced in 1998 for that attack and others that killed three people and injured 23 from 1978 to 1995.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:36:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Why?  Would you do something to me for making lawyer jokes?  I smell another sanctimonious Arfcom dogpile coming on......
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:43:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Why?  Would you do something to me for making lawyer jokes?  I smell another sanctimonious Arfcom dogpile coming on......
View Quote

Welcome to my world Raven, for what its worth I thought your JOKE was funny. Jesus christ some people are uptight.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Possible Americans? As opposed to impossible Americans?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:50:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

Welcome to my world Raven, for what its worth I thought your JOKE was funny. Jesus christ some people are uptight.
View Quote

No shit, it was funny.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 2:54:10 PM EDT
[#31]
Dean and Mayor of New Haven having press confrence right now on FNC
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#32]
Everybody...

Raven is a big fat jerk!

Edited to add: Glad no one was hurt.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:05:37 PM EDT
[#33]
CODE ORANGE HERE AND NO BLANKS!!!
[img]http://sellingstuff.home.mindspring.com/P1010004.jpg[/img].
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#34]
OK, my guess is a retarded monkey left the bomb.

What does setting a bomb off in an empty building accomplish for terrorists, disgruntled student or staff, or left/right wing wackos????

Did anyone else notice that bomb disposal unit they have on scene?  It's a sphere with a watertight style hatch.  Wouldn't that just make some usually crappily assembled homemade explosive more deadly to be inside that sphere?  Most of the disposal units I've seen are like big parabolic bowls.  To send the energy up and away instead of attempting to contain it.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:31:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No shit, it was funny.
View Quote

It's not funny when you are a Yale law school alumnus.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:38:43 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No shit, it was funny.
View Quote

View Quote

Well it was to me and that's all that matters.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:46:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Possible Americans? As opposed to impossible Americans?
View Quote

Well..... after all, it IS Yale......[;D]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:54:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

View Quote

No shit, it was funny.
View Quote

View Quote

Well it was to me and that's all that matters.
View Quote

I would suggest that rather than bitch about the unfairness of this, lawyers should reflect on WHY raven can say this and NOT have it found in poor taste by many, if not most, NON-lawyers...
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 3:59:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Damn all those quoted threads make a pretty hourglass.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:07:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Neat!
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:12:50 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

[i][b]alt.cascade[/i][/b] & [i][b]alt.cascades[/i][/b]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:22:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah that dean is a piece of work ain't he..."We believe it's a device of some sort"  Oh I thought the classroom just blew up on its own accord.  "There's no reason to believe it's anything other than what it is"...  Now that's enlightening.  I however believe it's not what it is, it being what it is, it's not this or that, it just is.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:23:53 PM EDT
[#44]
Damn the torpedos!!! Full Speed Ahead!! [snoopy]

Somebody was prolly cookin' Meth som'eres, and things got a little out of hand. [:D]
Isn't this study for finals time or something??
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:34:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I would suggest that rather than bitch about the unfairness of this, lawyers should reflect on WHY raven can say this and NOT have it found in poor taste by many, if not most, NON-lawyers...
View Quote

And I would suggest you go fuck yourself.  Hey, a lot of guys around here don't like cops.  Maybe the next bomb will go off at a police training academy!  Man, that would be fucking hilarious!  What a hoot!  Get those JBT's while they're young!

Gee, if a bomb had gone off at the right law school at the right time, I wouldn't be here!  Or EricTheHun, or Aimless, or Balzac, or Phil_A_Steen, or Duke_Nukem, or Steve in VA!  World sure would be a better place!  You guys must be real bummed out that no one was hurt.

Hey, I bet quite a few lawyers were killed on 9/11!  Maybe that wasn't such a bad day after all!

ArmdLbrl, maybe instead of lawyers asking why people think lawyer jokes are funny, you ought to ask why it's okay to bash an entire profession because of a few shitheads.  Do you also hate all blacks because some commit crimes?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#46]
Call me sensitive, but right is right and wrong is STILL wrong!

That wasn't a joke Raven; it was fuckin' insensitive as hell.  Yeah, kill all of us who worked and sweated to be attorneys; who ya gonna call when you need help?  Even if I didn't have a law degree, I would have been offended by that callous bullshit.  To target any collection of Americans, regardless of their profession, race, or religious background and make light of the potential mass casualties is pretty far off.  I love lawyer jokes, as a matter of fact, I tell them all the time - this wasn't a joke, it was a weak attempt by an immature jerk trying to win favor by attacking a group (lawyers) in front of people he thought would applaud him for. My careers also included law enforcement and emergency services - did you think it a good start when a medic dies in a rescue or a cop during a traffic stop puling over one of your drunk buddies?

Maybe your kid will grow up and be a lawyer or other servant of the people; maybe somebody will do us all a favor and remnove the problem.  Real funny, now, huh?
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 5:57:21 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:04:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Anyone notice that this is the second prestigeous private university to be attacked in as many weeks.  I note that both schools are extremely expensive and tend to cater to the wealthier members of our society.  Not sure if this is a trend but it is interesting.
View Quote

only one way to find out, which one would potentialy be next though, thats the question.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:14:17 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone notice that this is the second prestigeous private university to be attacked in as many weeks.  I note that both schools are extremely expensive and tend to cater to the wealthier members of our society.  Not sure if this is a trend but it is interesting.
View Quote

I don't think I would consider Case Western in the same category as Yale -- Case Western caters to the common man, Yale to the elite.
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top