Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/16/2002 11:58:58 AM EDT
I contacted FN and they said they do sell the FN Special Police Rifle do individual officers, (or at least they make it available so dealers can offer it).  I contacted my local "Cop Toy" shop and they said they have been waiting for almost two years to get one.

Does anyone out there have one of their own?

Any leads on who amy have one?
Link Posted: 3/16/2002 6:56:43 PM EDT
[#1]
You know that rifle is just a slightly gussied-up Winchester Model 70, right?
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 10:14:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/17/2002 5:33:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Actually the whole thing is FN, 'cause FN owns Winchester.  I've seen and handled one, didn't get a chance to fire it.  I doubt it will do anything a properly set-up Remington 700 won't do.
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 3:30:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 5:15:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Your right, as soon as I saw one I noticed the "Pre-64" Mauser typr action and three position safety.  I have heard that they are built to shoot 1/2 MOA from the box.  Hell my cheap Savage 10FP is at .650 out of the box with handloads ands thats with the bad trigger we all know Savages have and a cheap BSA scope.

None the less, I want an FN Police Special .308 IF I can find one.  According to FN, they are not making this rifle anymore and will be replacing it with what they called "a more expensive" one.  This came straight from JP Reconnu in an e-mail I got from him today.

CAN ANYONE LEAD ME TO ONE?
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:25:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:37:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/18/2002 6:51:51 PM EDT
[#8]
The current issue of "Guns & Weapons" has a little piece on the new model.
Link Posted: 3/26/2002 9:08:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Contact Rick Phillips (Ret. Tulsa Swat team sniper that was featured in the book "shoot to kill") @ Oklahoma Police Supply 918-836-8027 or 800-627-8027  He had several of them a couple of weeks ago.  Nice units.    He also has a bunch of really nice AR's.
http://www.oklahomapolicesupply.com
They are changing to a new version. From what one of his guys was telling me.
Great group of people that work there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#10]
I purchased one December from Fulton Armory, but I see they are no longer taking orders.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2002 4:31:48 PM EDT
[#11]
There is one for sale - about $870, IIRC - in San Bruno, CA at Tabor's Shooter's Supplies. I held it last week and drooled over it ;-)  But I already have a Remington PSS.

The FN .308 may be the approx equivalent in design, accuracy, etc. of a heavy-barreled Win. 70 or Rem. 700 (i.e., PSS, Varmint Synthetic, etc.) but it's the [b]only[/b] bolt gun out there (as far as I know) that has a [b]chrome-lined barrel[/b].

Now, we've all heard that chromed barrels are inherently less accurate that unchromed ones.
The FN .308 rifle disproves this statement - it's a real accuracy monster. Why don't other co's chrome theirs?  It cost $money$, and the little custom-shop guys might have trouble stepping up to the bar.

Chrome lining means this barrel will last far longer - the chambers don't erode nearly as fast, there's much longer barrel life, and the barrel's REALLY easy to clean. Plus, it doesn't need a break-in period (i.e., shoot, clean, shoot, clean, JB bore paste, etc.) and lots of babying.

Bill Wiese
San Mateo, CA

Link Posted: 3/29/2002 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#12]
It doesn't disprove the rule that chrome-lined barrels otherwise identical to chrome-moly barrels are inherently less accurate.  It is simply the exception to the rule.  i wonder if a similarly prepared chrome-moly FN barrel would shoot even better...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top