Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/3/2008 7:10:38 PM EDT
I've been working on some painting projects, primarily repainting my car.

I've had to do a few touch-ups on spots where I got sand-throughs to the primer
or color coat, through the clear coat.

So a few days ago I was doing the touch-ups,  and I kept a clean dry rag in my left
pocket, for wiping any sweat off my face so it wouldn't drip on the surfaces to be
painted.      I use other rags with solvent as needed for cleanups.

Somehow I got them mixed up and ended up with a rag stuffed in my left pocket that
was wet with DuPont 3602S acrylic lacquerr thinner on it.

I noticed when I felt the wet spot in my pocket.   I pulled out the solvent-soaked rag
and went about my business.

A little later on,  the skin near there got a bit irritated.

Hell...by the time I was done for the evening it hurt like a freshly popped, irritated blister!

So I finished my cleanup for the evening and went to go tend to the painful spot on my
hip.   I see red streaks in an area about four inches wide and two inches tall, about two
inches below my waistband,  toward the left side. (The boys are well away from the
affected area.)    And there's a freshly popped blister right in the middle of it.

I apply some ointment to it and forget about it.

Not really.  Though the hydrocortisone cream does keep it from hurting most of the
time,  it's now been two days since I did this and the whole area is more red now than
it was before.   It's pretty angry red.  

I've got a chemical burn, for sure.  My first one!  

No sign of infection.  It's just pretty raw.  Hydrocortisone cream and a light covering keeps
it from hurting.

Watch out for paint thinners.  They really CAN cause chemical burns!

CJ
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 7:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
First question:  yep, many times.  So far, not from paint products.  Mostly from concentrated acids, but occasionally other things.   50% NaOH does not feel good on the tongue  

BTW, that looks like some good shit.

MSDS link
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
You've probably, like most of us, built up some toughness in the skins of our hands and they might only get irritated by some chemicals, you get those chemicals on some tender skin that doesn't usually see the sun and yeah a burn is quite likely.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:14:23 PM EDT
[#3]
i had a leaky zippo in my pocket for all day once.  who would have thought lighter fluid would cause the top layer of skin to just separate?  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
i had a leaky zippo in my pocket for all day once.  who would have thought lighter fluid would cause the top layer of skin to just separate?  

Yup-that'll teach you not to overfill real quick.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 8:22:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics or it didnt happen.  Just kidding its on your hip so we will take your word for it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 10:58:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Your supposed to blow it out and/or close it before putting it in your pocket.

A leaky zippo in your pocket?  I hear they have medicines to take care of that these days.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:03:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Try spilling PVC glue onto your thighs.  I was wearing jeans, but it doesn't matter. It soaks right on through.  I'm glad I don't do plumbing anymore.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I got some acetone on a cut once....  At first, I was like , and then I was like .  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got some acetone on a cut once....  At first, I was like , and then I was like .  

When assembling PVC joints, you find out REAL quick where any little scratches, nicks, or cuts are.

ETA: Same thing for flux when soldering copper.  Do not get that shit in your eyes or mouth.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#10]
My can of generic Paint Thinner (mineral spirits) says that irritation may result from skin contact and to wash the area immediately with soap and water. I guess several hours of contact could easily cause some damage.
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:24:18 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
My can of generic Paint Thinner (mineral spirits) says that irritation may result from skin contact and to wash the area immediately with soap and water. I guess several hours of contact could easily cause some damage.

Come to think of it, there's this carpet cleaning product made by the makers of WD-40 called "Spot Shot" or something.  It's a really high powered carpet stain remover, for the worst of the worst stains.  The stuff took off a decent layer of skin from my hand once.    I should've worn gloves.  
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:37:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Worst for me?  Epoxy stripper.

EEEEEEYYYYOOOOOWWWWW!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:45:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I got a wicked one from some industrial solvent. Ouch...
Link Posted: 6/3/2008 11:48:37 PM EDT
[#14]
When I was 12-13 I was trying to fiberglass the bottom of a foam body board.  I wasn't wearing any gloves when using the epoxy.  It wasn't a good experience.  
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:19:45 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I figure my time of contact was half an hour, tops.

It was enough!

Yeah, I do have pics but don't feel any overwhelming need to post them.  But I did take
pics for documentation purposes just in case things don't heal quite as well as I hope.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:28:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Notice what it usually says on the tin about the skin?

'HARMFUL, INJURIOUS TO SKIN AND EYES'

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:32:31 AM EDT
[#17]
No, man, I wasn't using that weak stuff!   It was full-on DuPont 3602S acrylic lacquer thinner, about as intense as a petroleum distillate gets!  It's ten times stronger than that weak Crown crap!   The stuff will attack cured urethane!

CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 3:37:01 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
No, man, I wasn't using that weak stuff!   It was full-on DuPont 3602S acrylic lacquer thinner, about as intense as a petroleum distillate gets!  It's ten times stronger than that weak Crown crap!   The stuff will attack cured urethane!

CJ

Even more reason to read the H&S info on the tin!

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:06:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey, it was a mistake!   I didn't know I'd put the wrong rag in my pocket for some time.

Mistakes do happen, you know.

CJ
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:08:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Oh for God's sake. Once your body becomes used to doing real work your skin irritation from paint thinner will go away.

We are screwed if arfcom is our last line of defense in the event of an invasion. Paint thinner burns, pvc glue burns, fear of spiders. Come on boys, ball up.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#21]
nitril gloves FTW.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top