Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/29/2016 12:56:43 PM EDT
Probably going to see a lot of these threads popping up over the next couple months from folks like me, I have a TDI that I just registered to have bought back by VW this fall.

With my family being +1 since we bought the TDI and wanting a fullsize SUV I have been looking at the mid 2000s Escalade and Navigator. I'll have 8k to spend cash and don't want to finance anything right now. Budget is fairly set in stone. Looking for opinion on these two vehicles from current or past owners.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Just get a Tahoe. 6.0 and awd will eat you on fuel
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It will only be driven a couple miles per day, the fuel isn't a concern. Our other family vehicle is a 2012 Volt
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#3]
wood grain wit' tha' leather seats...
windows so doke you need a flashlight to see me...
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:02:02 PM EDT
[#4]
You won't get much in the way of a large SUV for 8k.

ETA tablet spell fail.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 1:03:43 PM EDT
[#5]
You better keep 2k aside for repairs, which means you will be buying a 6k SUV. I cant imagine you'll find much that inspires confidence and reliability for 8k.......
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 2005 Navigator 2WD, just shy of 100k miles.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

It's the most comfortable SUV I've ever driven or owned, and I use it as a work truck .   I've rented Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades...I've owned multiple Explorers and multiple Expeditions.

Other than normal maintenance, very few if any mechanical problems -- other than I did have to have the California catalytic converter replaced, but that was while the vehicle was under warranty.

The Navigator gets 13 mpg in heavy LA traffic, and about 21+ mpg when I get to stretch it's legs on a long run like to Vegas or Palm Springs.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:12:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
It will only be driven a couple miles per day, the fuel isn't a concern. Our other family vehicle is a 2012 Volt
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

In that case get the esv for more room. I would pick the escalade over the expedition. 6.0 are good motors

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's the most comfortable SUV I've ever driven or owned, and I use it as a work truck .   I've rented Tahoes, Suburbans, and Escalades...I've owned multiple Explorers and multiple Expeditions.

Other than normal maintenance, very few if any mechanical problems -- other than I did have to have the California catalytic converter replaced, but that was while the vehicle was under warranty.

The Navigator gets 13 mpg in heavy LA traffic, and about 21+ mpg when I get to stretch it's legs on a long run like to Vegas or Palm Springs.
View Quote

Going downhill in neutral with a tailwind maybe .

Seriously though, I've never heard of 21+ mpg in the Navigator or Expy.  Not calling you a liar, that's just outrageously high MPG for that vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:15:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Escalade

(If you don't want a Suburban)
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:16:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Escalade over navigator any day of the week
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:16:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
wood grain wit' tha' leather seats...
windows so doke you need a flashlight to see me...
View Quote

Uuuuunnnhhhhhh!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:22:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Tag so I can respond re: escalade when on pc
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I think as far as that body style goes, the Cadillac looks better.

I would prefer the Lincoln though.

Honestly, I would probably buy an Expedition that's a year or two newer for the same price.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:34:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Seriously though, I've never heard of 21+ mpg in the Navigator or Expy.  Not calling you a liar, that's just outrageously high MPG for that vehicle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

What can I tell you.   That's what I've gotten on multiple long range trips in the desert without traffic (and hypothetically at speeds in excess of posted speed limits )

ETA:  I'll also mention that the air-ride suspension is the best thing about the ride

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:47:39 PM EDT
[#15]
OK, so ...

The T8 generation Escalade (02-06) is a fine SUV, but the real question is, do you need what the Escalade has to offer over the Tahoe?  With the Escalade you get 6.0L over a 5.3L for a modest 40ish hp bump depending on years, full-time AWD and Escalade appointed interior trim, with more automatic fixings like lift gates and electric folding seats.    Why not a Tahoe? My wife had a '01 Tahoe LT with all the trim (leather, heated, rear entertainment, etc) and it cost a lot less than a similar Escalade.   Sure the 5.3L isn't as punchy as the 6.0 but neither are going to feel like dogs.   The AWD case in the Escalade is also a more expensive case, and doesn't tolerate irregularities like the part-time cases do, and is not well suited for off-highway travel.

Mileage wise expect 12-13 MPG highway. The 6.0L and AWD together, along with only a 4spd trans, don't enable great mileage.   A 5.3L or 4.8L equipped Tahoe will squeak by 16-18mpg highway depending on your driving habits, fuel and ambient conditions. I averaged about 15mpg in my wife's 01 but we had slightly taller 10-ply AT's on it versus lighter, shorter P-rated OE size tires.

Both have similar towing ratings, both are identical as far as crash tests go, both have reliable drivetrains.

If I were you looking for something in that generation in that price range, I would set my sights on a Yukon/Tahoe 01-06.    We paid $9k I think for our '01.  They should be all over for under $8k now.

<-- Resident GM fanboy you can trust me

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:50:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I didn't know you could get those with normal size wheels. All the Excalades in my area have 22's or bigger on them
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:57:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Wait - the Escalade only has heated seats, and not heated AND air conditioned seats like the Navigator?
ETA:  Nevermind -  a quick google search reveals that they do.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 2:59:48 PM EDT
[#18]
I really like the full size SUVS. The Ford/GM offerings are really amazing but you should let us know what years you are looking at. All are very reliable and fun, but there are a shitload of very expensive items on the Escalade. Some years of this and that have quirks.

Just a FYI for those interested. MPG can vary by a huge amount due to all the variations of the vehicles and driving style. I pull around 19-21mpg/hwy with my extended length Expedition 2011 model, if I ever saw 16 or less I would shit a brick.

On the used market side, I can get anything I want but chose the Expedition as the rear seat fold flush feature is literally worth gold to me. I am very partial to the v8 navigators as well.  The very best SUV for luxury and its not even close is the new model Escalade.

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I pull 21mpg/hwy sometimes, it for sure depends on wind direction, speed, etc... I have gone greater to, buts its a very rare and harder to hold. 19 is the more common mpg on the hwy for me in my Expi.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:11:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I didn't know you could get those with normal size wheels. All the Excalades in my area have 22's or bigger on them
View Quote

22's are hella dope yo

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:12:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Escalade over the Navigator but there is a caveat.

They are both steaming piles of shit.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:35:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

How so? Mine has been fucking great (par for the course for all my GM trucks post-99)
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:45:52 PM EDT
[#23]
4runner.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
4runner.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2016 3:58:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You better keep 2k aside for repairs, which means you will be buying a 6k SUV. I cant imagine you'll find much that inspires confidence and reliability for 8k.......
View Quote

I bought a 2002 tahoe for 4k off of craigslist and have only replaced tires and fuel pump.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 4:50:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
4runner.

Too small. Not into Sequoias
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Probably going to see a lot of these threads popping up over the next couple months from folks like me, I have a TDI that I just registered to have bought back by VW this fall.

With my family being +1 since we bought the TDI and wanting a fullsize SUV I have been looking at the mid 2000s Escalade and Navigator. I'll have 8k to spend cash and don't want to finance anything right now. Budget is fairly set in stone. Looking for opinion on these two vehicles from current or past owners.

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Cadillac/2006-Cadillac-Escalade-SUV_Image-08.jpg

http://img.favcars.com/lincoln/navigator/lincoln_navigator_2007_images_1.jpg
View Quote

I drive a 2008 Lincoln Navigator L which is very similar to the unit in your photo.

The Nav has been ours for 3 years, and has required very little corrective maintenance.  The auto was purchased used with 64,000 miles, and it presently has 112,500 miles.

The private party sale was a better value than all similar options.  I have a large family, so the only workable options are the full length, 8 passenger SUV's.

Aggregate fuel mileage is 17.2 mpg.  The only CM act was a heater core hose; the difficulty of getting nylon fittings apart without breaking anything else was the hassle.

The Navigator has been a great experience.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Escalade all the way of the 2, I'd go Tahoe or Yukon myself and save some money.
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm a Ford guy but I respect the Escalade and Tahoe.  I think you'll be happy either way but I prefer the Navigator.  

That said, I will second the point about looking hard at a very well-equipped Expedition or Tahoe.  I've owned 2 Expedition Limiteds and rented a few Navigators and, while the Navigator adds a little more to the "posh" details, the fully-loaded Expedition is REALLY close and I bet you wouldn't miss the difference.  (but you'd save some decent coin)  Also, if you have the choice for the extended model, the extra space is well-worth it.  You'd be surprised what that little extra room can allow you to haul without folding the 3rd seat.

Good luck either way!
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:26:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks for the great info, going to expand the search bit and include the Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban and Expedition
Link Posted: 7/29/2016 6:32:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm in the same boat with the TDI deal.  I just bought the nicest lowest mile 80 series land cruiser I could find.  15 mpg is a long was from nearly 50 though
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#32]
I've got a 2003 Navigator that I bought used out of Ohio a few years ago which had some rust, but since you're in Michigan you're probably familiar with checking for rust.  Mine was the first year for the retractable running boards which were rusted and didn't work properly.  Not a very good design imho on these first ones as they have no grease fittings.  They also will rust.  I ended up replacing them with some out of a junkyard and added grease fittings.  Perhaps it was poor maintenance that led to the rust.  Anyway, retractable running boards aren't a necessity, but are easily checked.

Another area of rust is the radiator support.  Check youtube for videos.  Ford didn't coat this area or something.  Mine has rust here and you can't tell it unless you get on your back with a flashlight and look up under there.

Also check out the brake lines for rust.  I've had the front passenger line develop a hole in it from rust and a couple of the others don't look so good going to the rear so I'm going to replace those too.

Ford has made some improvements to these through the years.  I know this because of the TSBs about changes in parts to address problems such as the air ride height connecting rods that could come off(mine did on the rear) causing the rear suspension to deflate and lower.  Also the door switches have been improved on since 2003.  The door switches now have a longer plunger to help eliminate the "door ajar" warning.  One thing bad about the door switches is that they also tell the running boards if they should retract or not.  A flaky door switch can cause a running board to extend and retract all on it's own while the vehicle is parked and shut off.

Anyway, check for rust and you may wish to get a vehicle that doesn't have retractable running boards or an air ride suspension which should eliminate some of the headaches with the Navigators or Expeditions.  A newer model shouldn't have those issues though except for maybe the rust.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I'm in the same boat with the TDI deal.  I just bought the nicest lowest mile 80 series land cruiser I could find.  15 mpg is a long was from nearly 50 though
View Quote

Ibhad originally, and still do, want an 80 series but by now they are all pretty high mileage in the price range I am looking at.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:06:52 PM EDT
[#34]
I have a 2004 Chevy Tahoe LS 5.3 with 22's. Bought it brand new and don't plan on getting rid of it. Just got a 2016 Scat Pack 392, six speed Challenger in November. Usually drive the Tahoe to work. I have a co worker, friend who would of loved to buy it. If it was for sale. He bought a used Navigator, nice SUV. It's still not an ESCALADE though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Ibhad originally, and still do, want an 80 series but by now they are all pretty high mileage in the price range I am looking at.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I found one that just rolled 100k.  Not too bad for a 1996.  The 100 series are getting affordable too but I wanted that solid front axle.  They are out there, I scoured the entire country really wanting a triple locked one, but settled on this rig because it has such low miles and is immaculate.  Not to mention, the owner prior to me had a folder of receipts of work he had done to it that equaled what I paid for it.  Mostly upgrades I'd   have done myself too, mild lift etc.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 7:58:20 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4runner.

Lemme get this straight. You just had a kid. Your first, I assume, because you and your wife drive a TDI and a Volt. And now you're asking for advice on full-size SUV's. How much room do you think that kid's going to take up?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:47:25 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

View Quote

I like the older Navigators better than the Escalades.

Looks wise, in recent years the newer Escalades are a better looking vehicle.

I had a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer, which is basically the same as a Navigator in other trim: it was a great vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:52:33 AM EDT
[#38]
In your price range, I'd look for a Toyota 4 Runner.

If it's "too small" you need more money.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:55:09 AM EDT
[#39]
Why not keep the VW? VW did you guys a favor by having the cheat software installed, those cars were more efficient and less troublesome than an identical diesel with the proper software. Just don't ever take the car back to a VW dealer because they will reflash the ECM.

As for your question I'd go with the Navigator because I'm a Ford guy.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:58:56 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:13:22 AM EDT
[#41]
That year GM truck is on the interior plastic.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#42]
I'm not a ford/Lincoln guy so I'll avoid comment on those. The Escalade is nice, but as said before the full time awd and 6.0 really suck down the gas. The tahoe/yukon deserve a look in this range as well. Go for 03+ as there were some pretty major improvements made inside in 03. And the newer the better. I have an 05 avalanche and its starting to show some weird electrical problems but I'm working through them as they pop up. it also has over 300k miles on it at this point.

if looking at the escalade/ tahoe/ yukon line be aware of the following weak points:

front wheel bearings
fuel pump
if in a rusty area the engine knock sensors and sub harness (not expensive or hard to fix, but the intake has to come off for access)
a/c compressors are seeing age related issues from the lubricant getting sticky inside, also slugging issues from the low mount position
window regulators and motors are starting to fail
If it has the dual zone digital climate control, the blend air door actuators should have probably been replaced by now or they are likely due up for failure
has the transmission been routinely serviced or replaced if over 200k miles?

if going tahoe the Z-71 package gives you a heavier duty suspension and normally upgrades the rear brakes and axle to a locking unit that lasts a bit better in the long run.

Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:22:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

How so? Mine has been fucking great (par for the course for all my GM trucks post-99)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Suspension and electrical.
Most owners have replaced the VERY expensive rear shocks with standard units and live with a lower quality ride and the warnings in the DIC and idiot light.
Front end parts fare no better, I don't think they were designed to handle the extra weight that the Caddy has and were just pulled from the Yukon/Tahoe parts bin and bolted on.
Same goes with the brakes.

Electrical issues are far too many to list.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:22:16 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
You won't get much in the way of a large SUV for 8k.

ETA tablet spell fail.
View Quote

First thing I thought.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Cadillac/2006-Cadillac-Escalade-SUV_Image-08.jpg
http://img.favcars.com/lincoln/navigator/lincoln_navigator_2007_images_1.jpg
View Quote

Neither. Get a Sequioa.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 9:38:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm glad to see this fad is slowly dying out...at least with factory optioned vehicles.  MFG's are starting to go back to smaller wheels with taller tire side walls. Gum band tires are dumb as fuck and ride like hell.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I found one that just rolled 100k.  Not too bad for a 1996.  The 100 series are getting affordable too but I wanted that solid front axle.  They are out there, I scoured the entire country really wanting a triple locked one, but settled on this rig because it has such low miles and is immaculate.  Not to mention, the owner prior to me had a folder of receipts of work he had done to it that equaled what I paid for it.  Mostly upgrades I'd   have done myself too, mild lift etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am going to look for either a 100 series or its Lexus cousin the LX470
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Lemme get this straight. You just had a kid. Your first, I assume, because you and your wife drive a TDI and a Volt. And now you're asking for advice on full-size SUV's. How much room do you think that kid's going to take up?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
4runner.

2nd kid
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#49]
For 8K you'd be better off pissing it in the wind.

You're not going to get much at all in the lines of full size for 8k unless if you want crazy miles on them.
Link Posted: 8/8/2016 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
For 8K you'd be better off pissing it in the wind.

You're not going to get much at all in the lines of full size for 8k unless if you want crazy miles on them.
View Quote

I realize this and have to work with what I've got. Could I go get financed for a brand new truck, sure but we stick to a strict budget and it is what it is.

Zero debt household here other than our mortgage ;)
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top