Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2002 6:12:41 PM EDT
If you had $300 bucks to set up a home gym for weight lifting, what would you buy?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I like free weights the best, thats what I would spend my money on.  I lift with friends in my basement once a week so I get a spotter and max out.  75% of the time I lift alone with lighter weights or dumbbells.

Shok
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen many "starter" olypic benches with an olympic bar and 310 lbs of weights for 269.  I would (and did) start there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree w/ EdAvilaSr. A good bench, some dumbbells and a bit of creativity and you can get a good workout. My "gym" consists of a Bowflex machine, 20, 40 and 60lb dumbbells. I use the Bowflex basically for the bench. I can work pratically every major muscle group with the dumbbells.

If space is an issue, a bench is moveable and  dumbells will stack in a closet. You might want to look at getting a rubber mat to protect your floors from dropping weights.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
For 299.00 a couple of years ago I purchased a power rack with 300lb olympic set and a multi position bench with preacher , leg curl, and a high cable from Sams Club. That was my starter set. As I could afford it I added all the other goodies. Dumb bells, other benches, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll look into getting a bench and some weights for starters. Is there any good reason to avoid the "all in one" machines with the plates of weight that are pulled by cables and pullies? I will be doing all of this alone and if it is really dangerouse to lift heavy weight without a spotter maybe I should look into that.

Seb127, what is a power rack?

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a self spotting piece of equipment. I've heard it called a power rack, rack, squat rack, cage, etc. It has bars to prevent you from squashing yourself. I use it for everything, almost and never have to worry about anything but injuries from bad form.
As far as do everything machines everyone has an opinion. I very much prefer the free weights and cables. I usually feel like I get a better workout with weights. On most universal machines you either push or pull weight. You do not balance or stabilize it. I've seen people bench press 350lb on a machine and have to drop to 250lb on a bar.
I really feel like the key is to just do something! Machine vs. free weights is kinda like Chevy vs Ford or Bushy vs Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top