Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2002 6:12:41 PM EDT
If you had $300 bucks to set up a home gym for weight lifting, what would you buy?
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 8:59:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I like free weights the best, thats what I would spend my money on.  I lift with friends in my basement once a week so I get a spotter and max out.  75% of the time I lift alone with lighter weights or dumbbells.

Shok
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 10:14:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I've seen many "starter" olypic benches with an olympic bar and 310 lbs of weights for 269.  I would (and did) start there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree w/ EdAvilaSr. A good bench, some dumbbells and a bit of creativity and you can get a good workout. My "gym" consists of a Bowflex machine, 20, 40 and 60lb dumbbells. I use the Bowflex basically for the bench. I can work pratically every major muscle group with the dumbbells.

If space is an issue, a bench is moveable and  dumbells will stack in a closet. You might want to look at getting a rubber mat to protect your floors from dropping weights.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 4:36:33 PM EDT
[#5]
For 299.00 a couple of years ago I purchased a power rack with 300lb olympic set and a multi position bench with preacher , leg curl, and a high cable from Sams Club. That was my starter set. As I could afford it I added all the other goodies. Dumb bells, other benches, etc.
Link Posted: 5/28/2002 5:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll look into getting a bench and some weights for starters. Is there any good reason to avoid the "all in one" machines with the plates of weight that are pulled by cables and pullies? I will be doing all of this alone and if it is really dangerouse to lift heavy weight without a spotter maybe I should look into that.

Seb127, what is a power rack?

Link Posted: 5/29/2002 1:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a self spotting piece of equipment. I've heard it called a power rack, rack, squat rack, cage, etc. It has bars to prevent you from squashing yourself. I use it for everything, almost and never have to worry about anything but injuries from bad form.
As far as do everything machines everyone has an opinion. I very much prefer the free weights and cables. I usually feel like I get a better workout with weights. On most universal machines you either push or pull weight. You do not balance or stabilize it. I've seen people bench press 350lb on a machine and have to drop to 250lb on a bar.
I really feel like the key is to just do something! Machine vs. free weights is kinda like Chevy vs Ford or Bushy vs Colt
Top Top