Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2004 8:11:00 PM EDT
Just finished watching Equilibrium and holy shit it was a good movie.  It started off pretty slow and I kept thinking "Oh this is just some lame ass rip off of Fahrenheit 451", but then I started to realize it was getting pretty good.  The idea of a society forced to drug themselves up in order to not have any emotions was pretty interesting and the gun play in it made the Matrix look like shit.

Equilibrium fucking rocks.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:11:35 PM EDT
[#1]
What's wrong with ferenheit 451? I think it is great that he added elements from it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:16:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What's wrong with ferenheit 451? I think it is great that he added elements from it.

Nothing wrong, it was a great book and when I read it as a kid it turned me into the tinfoil hat type

The problem was I figured is was just gonna be some cheap second rate knock off of it.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:16:53 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Who said there was anything wrong with it? He just didn't want to see a lame repeat of the classic.

I loved Equilibrium, I thought what he did on such a low budget was fantastic. Didn't hurt that I love HKs and Berettas either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I can tell you one thing, when they come up with "Prozium" you can sign me the hell UP.

S
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 8:58:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Great movie.

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:22:41 PM EDT
[#6]
It really is a good movie.  Whenever someone wants to look at my dvd collection to borrow something, I always reccomend it if they haven't seen it.  No one has been disappointed by it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:28:29 PM EDT
[#7]
One of my favorite movies.

The thing that I think I like most about it is the one big departure from typical action movies, which is this:

Typical: Main good guy fights main bad guy. Fight lasts several minutes, with outrageous moves. Main good guy appears to defeat main bad guy. Main bad guy is not really dead, main good guy delivers final kill stroke, and badass line, so you know the main bad guy is really dead.

Equilibrium: Main good guy fights main bad guy. After maybe a minute, bad guy is unquestionably dead. No fucking around, just kills the fucking fuck.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I can tell you one thing, when they come up with "Prozium" you can sign me the hell UP.

S

There's already a market-brand product called 'Soma', a la the dope of the same name from "Brave New World" - Soma linkage
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:34:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm glad someone else knows what I'm talking about.

I saw Equilibrium  SIX, yes SIX times in the theater. Never done that with another movie.

The day it came out on DVD, I bolted to Best Buy in between final exams to get it (they only had like 3 or 4 copies).
It's a shame it got no publicity, but every now and then an Indie movie comes along and blows you away.

For me, it just doesn't get any better than the dead-silent pause just before he shoots the two guys in the faces with their own shotguns.
Ok, I'll stop talking now  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Damned fine movie. Damned fine story. I hope it's fiction rather than prescience, but it's a thin watery hope.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

S

So you would prefer to feel no emotion at all?  You do realize that means no feeling good right?  

Balisong, the scene where he smacks the shotguns out of the cops right hands and spins them around while they are still holding the forward grip was probably the coolest scene.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S

There's already a market-brand product called 'Soma', a la the dope of the same name from "Brave New World" - Soma linkage

SOMA:
Generic Name: Carisoprodol is a muscle relaxant. It works by blocking nerve impulses (or pain sensations) that are sent to your brain.

Carisoprodol is used, along with rest and physical therapy, to treat injuries and other painful muscular conditions.

That's not what I am looking for.  I want the "real deal" "prozium"... No more happy, no more sad, no more elation, no more miserable.  Just "exist to continue existance".  Wow, that would be GREAT.

S
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:17:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I liked how they stuck the + sign in there as muzzle flashes.  

The Clerics had beretta 93s
The resistance had AKs and skorpions
The guys who worked under the clerics had HKs
The guys who shot the resistance guys along the glass wall all had robinson M96s

Not one damn 1911.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

S

So you would prefer to feel no emotion at all?  You do realize that means no feeling good right?  

Balisong, the scene where he smacks the shotguns out of the cops right hands and spins them around while they are still holding the forward grip was probably the coolest scene.

Yep, that's the part I'm talking about. And right after that with the layout off the motorcycle shooting two more guys in the face. Very coo'
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:34:23 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

That's not what I am looking for.  I want the "real deal" "prozium"... No more happy, no more sad, no more elation, no more miserable.  Just "exist to continue existance".  Wow, that would be GREAT.

Have you considered trying heroin
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:49:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I saw it on TV the other day. I wasnt OVERLY impressed, thats not to say it wasnt entertaining.

I thought the idea, plot, and "flow" of the film were great. The HKs were the only reason I even knew it existed.

The action sequences, they kinda made me giggle, the whole "gun kata" regime got boring, and it looked too choppy/unsmooth. There were a few sequences that looked downright stop-motion.

Judging by the looks of the movie, id guess the budget wasnt much, and if it were really low, then it was pulled off well. There were a few "mid-range" actors in it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:09:35 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S

You wouldnt care that you couldnt feel happy because caring is an emotion.

If you wanted to live your life like that I'd just blow my brains out.  When you feel no emotion your just a dead man walking.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:59:35 PM EDT
[#19]
Outstanding Sci-Fi.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:14:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I've always missed the begining when it comes on cable. Why were they shooting the dogs?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:18:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Animals can cause emotion in humans, so they get blasted.

It never directly says why they are shot up, but thats what I assume.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:22:48 PM EDT
[#22]
I really wish I could find the DVD in stores. I missed it in theaters, and I don't like buying off of eBay (too many bad experiences). Seen it three times as a rental, though.

Best. Movie. Ever.

Oh, and the + sign as the muzzle flash was actually the tetragrammaton logo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I've always missed the begining when it comes on cable. Why were they shooting the dogs?

Because they had nothing else to do with them.  They were pets, but the owners were killed.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 6:16:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

S

You wouldnt care that you couldnt feel happy because caring is an emotion.

If you wanted to live your life like that I'd just blow my brains out.  When you feel no emotion your just a dead man walking.

Desire is an emotion.

Even on the drug, people still retain a minor ability to have emotions.  The main characters little kid stopped taking it after seeing his mother killed for being a "Sense offenser", so there has to be some emotion and based on the society in the movie, the little emotion you can feel must be pretty depressing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#26]
I keep meaning to see it, but I havent yet.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 3:07:23 AM EDT
[#27]
This movie is great the budget was 20 million not bad when you compare it to the matrix 2/3 like 1/50th the money and I would say a better movie of course its a rip-off but who cares name a movie that is not a rip-off of something. its about gun fighting its fun and funny a must see for any sci-fi gun film type persons other recent movies I thought were good and in the same vein are Underworld (strait up rip-off of the silliest part of equilibrium the head splitting) and House of the dead pure silly zombie blastem up fare
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top