Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/9/2018 7:12:19 PM EDT
Arkansas is catching up to the "enhanced ID" craze.
So today I went to get my DL upgraded to enhanced. Website listed all the required items, which I assembled & made my way in, to have to stand in line behind a homeless person who smelled like he slept in poo for the last month.
Finally got to the window - to be lectured at by the bureaucrat who claimed I needed Drivers license, Birth Certificate, US Passport, utility bill, Social Security card, vehicle insurance papers, WHO plus tax/assessment records.

So Arkansas is now East Germany, if your papers are not in order, you will be denied something you stood in line forever for with what was advertised as the proper documents, or else sent to the gulag.

Not pleased with this stupid goat rodeo at the time.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually I was wondering if anyone else had been thru this & what your experience was.

Got a little carried away with my mad.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
You don't need any of that crap, if you say Hola, and call him Senor.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:18:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I think all I needed in GA was passport and utility bill. But it was a few years ago and I am,am what?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:19:53 PM EDT
[#4]
When I got the little communist star on my DL I took my passport, SS card, and two bills.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:22:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't provide some of that, mostly of that shit involves around the home address part... I used a UPS box as my address for about 5 years now. I have had some hurdles, mostly with registering for school and had to get my state rep invoked. Not sure what I will do when it comes to my drivers license when that time comes.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When I got the little communist star on my DL I took my passport, SS card, and two bills.
View Quote
Will cellphone and auto insurance do? Is it the star mandatory for domestic air travel yet? I have a flight this summer and don't have it yet. I know it was something they are working towards.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:25:43 PM EDT
[#7]
According to TSA, in order to fly domestically after 1.1.18 I need a RealD-compliant D/L.

Went to MD Motor Vehicle Administration to get a replacement license.  Brought birth certificate, SSN card, utility bills, 1040, etc.

MVA rep told me all of that wasn't needed - the software wouldn't let her record any of that info until my next actual renewal date, 4 years hence.

I was issued a 'compliant' license, but it's completely bogus.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:27:23 PM EDT
[#8]
If you already have a passport, I don't see any advantage in the "enhanced" ID thing.  When I fly domestically I just bring my passport.  No need for extra expense of enhanced ID.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Will cellphone and auto insurance do? Is it the star mandatory for domestic air travel yet? I have a flight this summer and don't have it yet. I know it was something they are working towards.
View Quote
I took cell phone bill and a C.C bill (blacked out account numbers)
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:31:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you already have a passport, I don't see any advantage in the "enhanced" ID thing.  When I fly domestically I just bring my passport.  No need for extra expense of enhanced ID.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I really need to look into getting a passport.

Quoted:
Quoted:

I took cell phone bill and a C.C bill (blacked out account numbers)
Thanks, I been worried about that part...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#11]
States are being forced to issue them at a certain point. Many states have been getting extensions from the FAA.

I know MN will be all enhanced at some point. They have just not had the infrastructure.  And now with the huge clusterfuck of issues with the new DMV software.

Haha
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:33:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Your papers are not in order, Mr. Sprague.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Well, I don't even know what an "Enhanced ID" is.

<<--- I'll be out here.

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:42:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Here in VT, my wife went through the same ordeal.

They are requesting the same to renew. Friends who have been driving here since their teens and don't have the "required" paperwork are just driving with expired licenses.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:50:15 PM EDT
[#15]
I just use my passport at airports instead of the enhanced license bullshit
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Between my passport & my CHL I should be solidly accounted for.
All the other crap is just beee-esss in my opinion.
It's only an hour & a half drive to a driver's license office that can do the enhanced - none of the local, small town offices can do it.

Unfortunately Arkansas has never been the same since Bill Clinton was governor & messed around with the driver's license fees & organization.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:17:06 PM EDT
[#17]
What exactly is the enhanced id do?? Not that ill be getting it, but im curious. Just like our enhanced chcl. All more ways to nickel and dime us to our freedoms.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:18:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So today I went to get my DL upgraded to enhanced. Website listed all the required items, which I assembled & made my way in, to have to stand in line behind a homeless person who smelled like he slept in poo for the last month.
Finally got to the window - to be lectured at by the bureaucrat who claimed I needed Drivers license, Birth Certificate, US Passport, utility bill, Social Security card, vehicle insurance papers, WHO plus tax/assessment records.

So Arkansas is now East Germany, if your papers are not in order, you will be denied something you stood in line forever for with what was advertised as the proper documents, or else sent to the gulag.

View Quote
OP, your DMV agent is on crack (or, you are..  ), per AR own website for the strictly voluntary enhanced ID upgrade - which isnt even required until 2020, it doesnt say you need ALL of that specifically, much of that are alternative verification options from a list of several acceptable ones....
You need: ID/DL, second form of ID, proof of Res & a SS#..and even some of that is subject to waiver...Jeez, its too easy!
dang with all that drama going down over something you didnt even need to do for anorther 2yrs, you should have bladed at 45*
> https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/driver-services/arkansas-voluntary-enhanced-security-dl-or-id/ <
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:28:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
OP, your DMV agent is on crack (or, you are..  ), per AR own website for the strictly voluntary enhanced ID upgrade - which isnt even required until 2020, it doesnt say you need ALL of that specifically, much of that are alternative verification options from a list of several acceptable ones....
You need: ID/DL, second form of ID, proof of Res & a SS#..and even some of that is subject to waiver...Jeez, its too easy!
dang with all that drama going down over something you didnt even need to do for anorther 2yrs, you should have bladed at 45*
> https://www.dfa.arkansas.gov/driver-services/arkansas-voluntary-enhanced-security-dl-or-id/ <
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I know.
Checked the website information before I left, had all my goodies in hand.
Only to get the diatribe from Mr. Bureaucrat about all the stuff I had to have - he wrote a little list of the 6 items required, checking off the 3 already with me.
Bureaucrats.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:34:04 PM EDT
[#20]
I did it years ago.  No fuss.  I was prepared.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:49:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Fingerprints in Oklahoma.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:57:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Hmmm.

I last renewed in 2012 online.

It’s not entirely clear if I’ll have to get a Real ID in 2020.

Zero plans to ever leave the country.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:57:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
So you gotta bring all that paperwork if you got hazmat?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 8:59:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Actually I was wondering if anyone else had been thru this & what your experience was.

View Quote
I went in with my birth certificate, .mil ID, DL, and a few other things, and got a NO GO from them, and was then told to get a passport. I laughed, and left. I'll keep my regular DL until it expires.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:22:52 PM EDT
[#25]
helpful tip:

When renewing your DL, spend the extra $15 for a state ID, too.   A state ID profoundly eases the process of getting a new DL if you should lose yours.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I went in with my birth certificate, .mil ID, DL, and a few other things, and got a NO GO from them, and was then told to get a passport. I laughed, and left. I'll keep my regular DL until it expires.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Turned into Communist Czechoslovakia around here...
I definitely feel your pain. I will need to fly. Until my temper has calmed down I'm not going back real soon. Passport will fly me just fine.
Bureaucrats!
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:30:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hmmm.

View Quote
It’s domestic flights also, it’s going to be required for both air and train travel.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:31:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
helpful tip:

When renewing your DL, spend the extra $15 for a state ID, too.   A state ID profoundly eases the process of getting a new DL if you should lose yours.
View Quote
Can have both a state ID and driver's license in Ohio.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I think all I needed in GA was passport and utility bill. But it was a few years ago and I am,am what?
View Quote
yep michigan is just passport (or birth cert)  and current ID I believe.

J-
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:40:04 PM EDT
[#30]
I'll pass on all that thank you, but I would like to see obama's enhanced ID documents. If that clown can sit in the oval office for 8 years with a badly photoshopped burf sirtifikitt as proof of citizenship then we should be able to sit in an airplane seat with our DL.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
It’s domestic flights also, it’s going to be required for both air and train travel.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hmmm.

Not planning on ever flying either.

That said, trains too? Wtf?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure on the hazmat.  I happen to be in OK for the near future and needed to renew my license.  I was surprised that they collect a fingerprint as part of the process.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:01:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Exactly what I do.

My state did a big FU to real ID in the 90s, my DL was issued in the mid '90s and is good until 2027, I have no intention of "upgrading."
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:12:46 PM EDT
[#34]
I have the star id, took me f'ing 11 hours, eleven hours,  not counting the eye doctor. the previous license was only 2 months old.
It only took me about 15 minutes for my passport and had it back the same week.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:18:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote
This.

(fuck 'em)
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:27:46 PM EDT
[#36]
WTF is an enhanced ID?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:29:53 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Get a passport card then, not the book.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:31:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
WTF is an enhanced ID?
View Quote
It's to better identify you and keep you safe. If you have the star on your DL, you have real ID

Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
In ohio, I got my new license renewal just 2 weeks ago on my lunch break. Went in, told her mine was expiring in a week. She took the old one, asked me a few questions (basically did any of my info change) and then took my picture. I was in and out in 7 minutes as there was no line at my local BMV at lunch time.

I needed zero additional identification. I'm good until 2020.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:37:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I just use my passport to fly.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:37:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Just get a passport card.  It’s good for 10 years.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
First I've heard of this.

I don't have a passport, but I have a star on my license. I didn't bring in anything special to get it.

What does the star get me, and why didn't I have to jump through any hoops?
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:56:23 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
You don't need an enhanced ID if you already have a passport.
You can even get a passport card to keep in your wallet with your regular old drivers license...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:00:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'll pass on all that thank you, but I would like to see obama's enhanced ID documents. If that clown can sit in the oval office for 8 years with a badly photoshopped burf sirtifikitt as proof of citizenship then we should be able to sit in an airplane seat with our DL.
View Quote
I wonder why that stuff hasn't been leaked - there has to be at least one guy that hates Zero working for the DMV...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:05:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Similar scenario for me.  I showed up thinking my passport, birth certificate and current DL would be enough and got lectured about how I needed 87 other forms of ID to get the compliant ID.  I fly with my passport handy now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:06:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Turned into Communist Czechoslovakia around here...
I definitely feel your pain. I will need to fly. Until my temper has calmed down I'm not going back real soon. Passport will fly me just fine.
Bureaucrats!
View Quote
I would suggest TSA Pre-Check along with your passport. Love me some pre-check...
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:12:36 PM EDT
[#47]
the star?

The sheep are getting stupider by the minute. The ironic reference is not missed.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:14:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Lol, we're funny here sometimes:
"Illegal aliens?! We need walls and you've gotta have ID and paperwork that prevents illegals voting to getting jobs!"
"I need paperwork to prove who I am to get an ID?! This is an outrage! This is what Hitler did to the Jews! We're living in 1984!"

I don't know if my ID is Enhanced or not, but I know jumping through the hoops to get my Passport was a real pain, and ended up requiring a drive up to the Chicago Customs office to actually get it all done.  When I originally mailed in the paperwork I got a letter back like 8 weeks later(and closer to the trip) telling me my Birth Certificate wasn't good enough...yep...my original friggin' birth certificate with State seal was not sufficient to prove my identity.  It was the "short" version or some such.  I ended up needing to get the "long" version (which I didn't even know was a thing) and I had to have a family member go to my hometown and get it from the hospital or townhall or something and then mail it to me.  Because that all took so long, we were just a couple weeks from our trip to Europe and the parents and I had to make a trip to Chicago for a day just to get the stupid passport accomplished in person. Praise God though, it all worked out.  
Stupid passport.  We need credentials, but bigolly I hate the process to get them.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:15:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I looked into it, but for the cost and hassle of getting a NY enhanced ID, it was worth it to just get a passport.  That way I'm not limited to just traveling to America's hat.  Less money to the NYS DMV too...

-K
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 11:21:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
I followed the directions on which papers to bring and had no issues.
I did witness virtually every other person that arrived get turned away for not having the needed papers.
Actually felt bad for the counter person who had to repeat over and over what was already written in the letter these numbskulls had in their hand. I must be a friggen ID wizard to have got it right the first try.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top