Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2004 4:58:24 AM EDT
The Brits are working to preserve their language while we on the other hand bend over backwards to facilitate every non-english speaker who shows up here.

www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10507795%5E421,00.html

Poms want Aussies to talk proper

August 20, 2004

STONE the bloody crows! Wotcha mean, we can't speak English?

Australians wanting to become British citizens must prove they can speak English under new rules introduced by the British Government.

The rules will also apply to other nationalities that claim English as their first language, including Canadians, Americans, New Zealanders and South Africans.

According to one report two Australians ,including a knight who has lived in Britain for 44 years and a writer with a degree in English, have been rejected under the new rules.

Australians have needed five years' residence in Britain to go through the naturalisation process, one that has a seven-month waiting list. But the language test is a new hurdle.

"Just because someone's born in an English-speaking country doesn't mean to say they're exempt from these standards of proof," a Home Office spokesman said.
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 6:54:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Now that's a sensible rule.

I speak more English English than American English (Actually an Irish subvariant) and my tank crews are still getting used to it. I've even got some talking like me!

NTM
Link Posted: 8/20/2004 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#2]
What a load of .....
Don't get me started, these are proposals that haven't become law, or even become guidelines. And it would apply to everyone, because let's face it we cannot discriminate.  So it's not just Aussies or English speaking foreigners, it's everyone. But why would you want to come to the UK, the land of the oppressed gun owner?

The Aussie press seem to just want to tread on any links with the UK.

The Aussie Premier cannot be king as Australia is not a Kingdom,
He cannot be Emperor as Australia is not an Empire,
Australia is  just a Country.......

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top