Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/16/2022 1:55:46 PM EDT
I've been out of the workforce for over a dozen years and when I was working it was in a very controlled environment (classified work). So I end up in the hospital last week and I'm exposed to the current workforce for the first time. Health care workers. I noticed full sleeve tattoos, bright dyed hair, face tattoos, and very casual clothing. Much like I might expect to see on a high school campus. But I was totally surprised by the skill, professionalism, great attitude, and hard working effort of all the employees. The hospital works 12 hour shifts with 3-12s for the week but most work more. I interfaced with at least 20 people and not one was a reject or substandard. I don't think we are headed down hill, at least not with this group. I was really surprised.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 1:58:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Just like with any generality, there are exceptions and full blown bullshit. Majority lies in between.  There are shitty boomers/ great boomers, shitty youth/ great youth…I try to take everything on a case by case basis.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
You know there are millenials in their 40's and Gen X'ers who are a couple years shy of pushing 60?

Can't speak for zoomers here but when one of the age demos you quoted is 5 years away from collecting social security I'm not sure you can consider them "the new workforce"
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Face tattoos on a high-school campus? The hell kinda school you been too man?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:13:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a "geriatric millenial" and a supervisor. My best employees are gen x and millennials and my biggest problem children are the boomers. The younger guys do come with a little "baggage" with families that they will tend to put first. I have no issue with that and choose family first too. The boomers will pretty much come to work most of the time but are always finding and causing drama and gossip. They are also the least productive and plan vacations around our busiest times when i can least afford to be short handed. The younger ones tend to take vacation during slower times because they are bored. They also have the visible tattoos as you say, long beards, bushy hair. No face tats, piercings, or wild hair though. The boomers are more clean cut.

Generally speaking of course.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:20:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Older generation are more responsible, trustworthy and vote Republican.

Younger generation are drama queens, irresponsible, lazy slackers, steal, risky behavior (like sticking thinks in their ass for money) and vote Democrat.

That's the bottom line. You can see graphs on it. The evidence is clear.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Older Gen-X are pushing 60, I'd hardly call that "new" workforce.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:25:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:...but when one of the age demos you quoted is 5 years away from collecting social security I'm not sure you can consider them "the new workforce" ...
View Quote

I'm 68 and I mostly worked with other engineers that were slightly younger than me or well older.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:26:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

L.A. man, it's a jungle out there.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:27:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Younger generation are drama queens, irresponsible, lazy slackers, steal, risky behavior (like sticking thinks in their ass for money) and vote Democrat.

View Quote

Pics of graphs not loading...
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:28:24 PM EDT
[#10]
n/m
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:29:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I think Tom Berenger is a substitute teacher there
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:29:20 PM EDT
[#12]
What were you in the hospital for? Need anything OP?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:31:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm a millennial, abet an early "Oregon Trail" one.

There are professional, hard working people in each generation.  

People do tend to get more closed minded as they get older, espicially with respect to technology.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a couple zoomers working for me. The shit bag to good guy ration seems to be pretty close to other generations. They talk funny sometimes , that’s the biggest complaint I have.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:34:21 PM EDT
[#16]
All generations have shitty workers in my experience. I have guys in their 40's that can't seem to make it to work on time everyday and give me a decent amount of output. I have had to lower our expectations for daily output based on the current trends in employment.

So when looking at my multi generational workforce overall.

30% of those workers show up everyday and "want" to do a good job as well as learn and grow.

35% show up , do a good job , but don't want to do anything other than the job they are assigned to.

The remainder work the system. They play the game of attendance , missing punches , barely meeting goals, and take up a larger percentage of supervision time.

The thing with the younger gen ( under 30 ) , from what I see is they no longer see the importance of careers and "their" time will always take priority. So, in days gone by I would have been out partying on Tuesday night penny pitcher night and still get to work the next day. They will default to staying home. So take he party out and just maybe have a pet pass away , well need two days off to grieve. Sure there are exceptions , but not many.

As companies we still have metrics that we want to keep based on past workforces , but those expectations may need adjusting in the future.

Social media and the constant whine of "me" is not helping anyone.

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:34:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm a millennial, abet an early "Oregon Trail" one.

There are professional, hard working people in each generation.  

People do tend to get more closed minded as they get older, espicially with respect to technology.
View Quote

Lol I like that! I usually use the term "elder millennial"

I'm interviewing candidates for an entry level position right now at my company. Have one scheduled in 27 minutes.

Granted it's a large West Coast company so it's a coveted gig, but I've been pleasantly surprised so far at the younger candidates.

They seem pretty polished and motivated!
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:37:08 PM EDT
[#18]
OP is correct.

However the boomers I work with are all fat, poorly groomed, many are still smokers, complain all the time about trivial bullshit (such as the younger generations), are union voting democrats, and are always having medical issues because they're fat diabetic fucks who smoke.

They show up on time though so there's that?

Take your pick I guess
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:37:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Power perceived is power achieved...

...or something like that
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Considering the price of admission to provide care, the bedside staff is far from a cross section of Walmart.

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Clinical Healthcare tends to be more conservative, especially after a few years in the field. When you work 12.5 hour in a row and see the same Medicaid patient come in overdosed, reeking of booze, with a fresh pack of cigarettes in his pocket your world view tends to change.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:47:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]
"Encounters with the new workforce. Gen X, Gen Z, and Millennial"

Umm, so basically everybody in the workforce.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:50:06 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You know there are millenials in their 40's and Gen X'ers who are a couple years shy of pushing 60?
View Quote

A millennial I worked with just retired this month.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:53:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Not everyone is a piece is shit. Even dirty inkies, hair colors and emo clothes are not all prices of shit. Thanks for the good news op
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Can't speak for zoomers here but when one of the age demos you quoted is 5 years away from collecting social security I'm not sure you can consider them "the new workforce"
View Quote

I'm Gen X and 55.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:55:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I'm Gen X and 55.
View Quote

I can speak for all of us in that we're very excited to finally see you in the work force!

And despite your pink hair and face tattoo you surprised us all with your great attitude and professionalism
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I can speak for all of us in that we're very excited to finally see you in the work force!

And despite your pink hair and face tattoo you surprised us all with your great attitude and professionalism
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm Gen X and 55.

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:37:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What were you in the hospital for? Need anything OP?
View Quote

Thanx so much for asking. I had severe internal bleeding. I was losing a LOT of blood. Caused by my blood thinner, they suspect. So they took me off the Warfarin and put me on baby aspirin. I went to the ER, then Critical Care, then to a regular room. In on Sunday morning and out at lunch time on Wednesday. I seem to be fine now. And thanx for the offer to help but I was blessed in life and have no needs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:38:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Call me biased, but I kinda draw the line at face tattoos.
View Quote

If I was on the street, I would have been bladeing at 45.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:40:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I've been out of the workforce for over a dozen years and when I was working it was in a very controlled environment (classified work). So I end up in the hospital last week and I'm exposed to the current workforce for the first time. Health care workers. I noticed full sleeve tattoos, bright dyed hair, face tattoos, and very casual clothing. Much like I might expect to see on a high school campus. But I was totally surprised by the skill, professionalism, great attitude, and hard working effort of all the employees. The hospital works 12 hour shifts with 3-12s for the week but most work more. I interfaced with at least 20 people and not one was a reject or substandard. I don't think we are headed down hill, at least not with this group. I was really surprised.
View Quote

Funny how classified work will make you look down at the rest of the world.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:48:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
"Encounters with the new workforce. Gen X, Gen Z, and Millennial" Umm, so basically everybody in the workforce.
View Quote

I talked to one ancient old woman that was mopping the floor in my room. She had to be at least 75 but what this thread is about was that I was surprised by the quality of the younger workforce, and anybody that is under 60 are the youngsters to me. I live in a large retirement city, just about everybody I see are well into Medicare age.
On a side note, I thank all you younger guys fighting for our gun rights. I'm pretty sure without you guys the battle would be lost.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:57:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm a "geriatric millenial" and a supervisor. My best employees are gen x and millennials and my biggest problem children are the boomers. The younger guys do come with a little "baggage" with families that they will tend to put first. I have no issue with that and choose family first too. The boomers will pretty much come to work most of the time but are always finding and causing drama and gossip. They are also the least productive and plan vacations around our busiest times when i can least afford to be short handed. The younger ones tend to take vacation during slower times because they are bored. They also have the visible tattoos as you say, long beards, bushy hair. No face tats, piercings, or wild hair though. The boomers are more clean cut.

Generally speaking of course.
View Quote

Agreed on all. I manage people from 22 through mid-60’s, I’m in my mid 30’s.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 5:59:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:Funny how classified work will make you look down at the rest of the world...
View Quote

When you are locked up in a classified area for 30 years working with the Great Generation and Boomers, you don't get around the outside world that much.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:02:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I've been around some incredible younger people (20s and 30s) that give me hope for the future, and some that just make me shake my head and wish for The Big Asteroid to hurry up and get here.

Just like people in every age range since forever...
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:04:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Older Gen-X are pushing 60, I'd hardly call that "new" workforce.
View Quote

The oldest would be 57.  (X-er) That's pushing 60?  I guess if you want to call it that.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:05:23 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Considering the price of admission to provide care, the bedside staff is far from a cross section of Walmart.

View Quote
You think that money goes to workers providing bedside care? LOL.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:11:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Many millennials are closer to retirement than their start of entering the work force...
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:54:53 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

The oldest would be 57.  (X-er) That's pushing 60?  I guess if you want to call it that.
View Quote

Yes, 57 would be pushing 60 as anything in your late 50's would be.  The oldest Gen X'ers will start turning 58 in a few days.  If you don't think that's pushing 60, you're just in denial & I'm not talking about a river in Egypt.

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 6:56:30 PM EDT
[#42]
'84 millenial checking in!
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 7:09:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thanx so much for asking. I had severe internal bleeding. I was losing a LOT of blood. Caused by my blood thinner, they suspect. So they took me off the Warfarin and put me on baby aspirin. I went to the ER, then Critical Care, then to a regular room. In on Sunday morning and out at lunch time on Wednesday. I seem to be fine now. And thanx for the offer to help but I was blessed in life and have no needs.
View Quote

Glad to hear you’re pushing right through it. Scary stuff man, stay well!
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#45]
What’s the diversity like in your area?  Let me guess, not much?
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:05:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
What’s the diversity like in your area?  Let me guess, not much?
View Quote

I worked with a very diverse group of people, mostly engineers, PHDs, and highly skilled technicians but people from all over the world. My industry does attract a high percentage of right wing thinkers so I haven't been exposed to much liberal BS, except for HR.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:09:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
My oldest daughter is 29. She's a nurse practitioner. Politically, she makes Ronald Reagan look like Bernie Sanders.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#48]
Older "Gen-X" here......

I've found that the most capable employees I've worked with lately are younger Gen-X and Z's that came from modest backgrounds, and work in specialized trades .....and by that I mean performing actual work/labor

Gen-Z and millennials that are placed in positions where they can get away with only interacting with others via text and emails are generally worthless.

My opinion is only based on people in my line of work ..... your experience may vary. Your work ethic trumps whatever "generation" you are part of...... I work with a 22 y/o "kid" that can run circles around people that have been doing what I do for the past 30 years.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#49]
I always see those damn Gen Xers, listening to their loud music, riding around on skateboards. Damn kids better stay off my lawn.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 9:31:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I talked to one ancient old woman that was mopping the floor in my room. She had to be at least 75 but what this thread is about was that I was surprised by the quality of the younger workforce, and anybody that is under 60 are the youngsters to me. I live in a large retirement city, just about everybody I see are well into Medicare age.
On a side note, I thank all you younger guys fighting for our gun rights. I'm pretty sure without you guys the battle would be lost.
View Quote

Sun City West or Sun City Grand?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top