Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/6/2005 12:27:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 12:47:42 PM EDT by Animal-Mother]
Is ther anyone on this board that has ever been injured by electricity in some form? I was hit by lightning in 1984 and was shocked by a Generator Welder using an arc gouge @225 amps in 2003.
The pain has become very unbearable and the Doctors all think im nuts. You all can joke and it is all good with me, but I take it very serious as i live it everyday. Just lookin for some information on the subject to maybe help relieve some pain
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:31:48 PM EDT
Nerve damage, perhaps? Have you seen a neurologist?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:33:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 12:35:55 PM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
I got the shit shocked out of my hand by my electric water heater last fall (220 volts!). Just momentary stupidity that could have potentially been a lot worse. It hurt like hell for several minutes, but then it started to fade. Was gone in half an hour.

I figure I have a good idea of what it feels like to be tazered now.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:34:35 PM EDT
The doctors think you are nuts? I thought it has always been well known that lightning strike victims and people subjected to electrocution end up having neurological problems, including the pain you describe. Maybe it's time to find a new doctor.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:36:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 12:37:10 PM EDT by PromptCritical]
Technically, electrocution refers to death by electricity. Not the act of being shocked. It would be analogous to asking if someone survived being murdered.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:37:29 PM EDT
277 volts, from one hand to the other, luckly it went across my back not my chest. took a weel off from work from that one. i am an electrician btw

soon to be wifes father got hit with 400 volt dc at a factory it blew all the teeth out of his upper jaw and about half on his lower jaw.

long term we are both fine
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:38:06 PM EDT
Don't ever stick an electric cig. lighter internal up to a tooth and shock it. Don't ask me how I know.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:38:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
Technically, electrocution refers to death by electricity. Not the act of being shocked. It would be analogous to asking if someone survived being murdered.



thanks for the correction
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:38:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 12:41:59 PM EDT by thelastgunslinger]
I was electrocuted shocked 10 years ago by a transformer for a 1000 watt high intensity discharge lamp. I do not know what the ouput voltage of the transformer was, but the thing weighed about 50 pounds, so that is a lot of coils.

I had both leads in my left had when my dumbass friend plugged it in for some reason. It thoroughly cooked my hand. At the contact points there was just charred flesh, almost down to the bone, and the rest of my hand was cover by essentially one large, deep blister. It knocked me unconscious.

I was on Percocet for months and it took around two years before I regained full movement in that hand.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:39:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
Technically, electrocution refers to death by electricity. Not the act of being shocked. It would be analogous to asking if someone survived being murdered.



What a freekin NERD
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:39:25 PM EDT
I touched an electric fence once.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:41:26 PM EDT
Well thats what i guess im trying to do is locate a Doctor or someone that knows a bit about this type of injury. At this point im 41 and have 2 young kids and great wife, wondering how much more of this everyday pain i can take. It has progressively got worse as time goes by(Not better). My Father is 65 and is in twice as good shape as I.
I do not care if i have to travel to a Dr. across the country if i can get some answers.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:42:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 12:46:00 PM EDT by Dolomite]
Electrocution is to be killed via electric shock.

The human heart can be stopped with as little as 70 milliamps of current. So - most of the time you survive getting shocked can be attributed to pure luck.

And now the stories:

One time I accidentally touched a pair of SCR heat sinks on a 20 kW Hi-Frequency inverter.

-375 VDC on one hand.

+375 VDC up the other.

Knocked me on my ass and I swear smoke came out of my mouth.

Another time, I watched a 50,000 volt corona arc walk up the the screwdriver I was holding and smack me - the screwdriver flew up and ended up on some catwalk behind me about 50 feet away.

Then there was the time I was in San Salvador and for some reason, was in a big ass hurry to strip some phone pairs. Being old school - I usually just used my thumbnails, but eventually you'll just wear semi-circular grooves into your nails - so I had to use my teeth. Later, I had time to put a meter on these wires; idle, they measured 85 VAC.

These are just a few of the more memorable ones.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:44:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawker:
Don't ever stick an electric cig. lighter internal up to a tooth and shock it. Don't ask me how I know.



Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:45:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hawker:

Originally Posted By PromptCritical:
Technically, electrocution refers to death by electricity. Not the act of being shocked. It would be analogous to asking if someone survived being murdered.



What a freekin NERD



STFU!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:50:07 PM EDT
The worst I've had was a large neon transformer get me. I remember opening my eyes and being on the other side of the room.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:56:16 PM EDT
I have never been badly shocked, but I was present when a guy cut into a 440V, 400A line with a sawzall.

kaBOOM!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:01:26 PM EDT
Miller welder, slag fell off, bounced to the edge of the table, cut my pants, I didn't know it. Not using gloves. Leaned in to far. OW. Shocked the shit out of me, damn near literally.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:03:56 PM EDT
Ummm, I touched an electrified cattle fence once...

(people have been killed at my dad's shop before though, it's no laughing matter)
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:05:15 PM EDT
The first time I was wireing in a motor in a mine locomotive 300 VDC and a guy came up and bumped the pole into the trolly wire. Only knocked me around and everything tasted like copper for a week. Last time I was going to move a 900VAC 3 phase cable out of the road way and got into a cut place in the cable and got into 1 phase about 480VAC. That one almost did me in. Lot of damage to Ulnar Nearve in left arm and hand, 3 surguries and a bout with RSD. that was August 1998. Was forced to retire because of it. Also a month earlier we had a man killed with 110VAC. and a few years earlier we had another fatality , a guy got into 480 VAC 3 phase.
If you are having pain due to the shock, please, please by all means get to a neuroligist (spelling).
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:05:47 PM EDT

This might be a good place for you to start.

www.lightning-strike.org/
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:12:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 1:14:20 PM EDT by ZW17]
I have been whacked by 120, 220/240, 440 capacitor I left in my pocket burned a hole in my jeans and got me, oil fired furnace transformer which was the worst of all of them, caused me to black out.

Funniest story of them all.

I had a friend that somehow got a hold of a cattle prod. He carried it in his car as a defensive weapon. He decided to see just what it would do if he got someone with it and used him self as the test subject.

In his words: "I took the prod out of my trunk and turned it on.... I remember touching my leg with it and then waking up with a huge lump on my head, I had shit and pissed myself and had no idea how I got on the ground"

He has passed out at the back of his car and smacked his head on the bumper on the way down, shit and pissed his pants and was out for god knows how long!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:33:00 PM EDT
9 volt to the tongue. It's been almost 10 years to the day and I can still remember it like yesterday. I think it was a duracell
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:34:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:
I was electrocuted shocked 10 years ago by a transformer for a 1000 watt high intensity discharge lamp. I do not know what the ouput voltage of the transformer was, but the thing weighed about 50 pounds, so that is a lot of coils.

I had both leads in my left had when my dumbass friend plugged it in for some reason. It thoroughly cooked my hand. At the contact points there was just charred flesh, almost down to the bone, and the rest of my hand was cover by essentially one large, deep blister. It knocked me unconscious.

I was on Percocet for months and it took around two years before I regained full movement in that hand.





Lockout/tagout ring a bell?

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:39:16 PM EDT
I put my hand across 480 3 Phase once. A screwdriver slipped and my hand went across all 3 phases. I just sat on the floor trying to remember my name. I do not like working on anything over 24vdc.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:48:03 PM EDT
I'm a survivor of a 440 3phase shock - knocked me across a room and out cold... I've also been hit with 277, which was no fun at all... I don't have any lasting effects of either experience, so I'd say you need to see another doctor - and the guess of nerve damage might be correct... Best of luck,


- georgestrings
Top Top