Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2005 10:44:53 PM EDT
I acquired a Subaru Outback, 97 model.  It has seen it's share of shit but it runs pretty good.  Minus the electrical goblin.

The car will lock itself without anybody doing anything.  For instance:  I was at wally world, unlocked the car from the drivers door, opened the back latch, placed my bags in the car, closed the latch and put the cart up.  As I was about to enter the car, boom it locked itself.  I would say it was someone playing a joke on me, but we don't have remotes for the key less entry.

Fast forward:  a couple of days ago, driving down the road, boom it locks itself.

Tonight:  The lights in the car start flickering on and off (the passenger lamps, nothing else).

Anyone have any idea what the hell is going on with my car?  It's not clicking like the battery is low, and it's relatively new...  Is there a contact or relay going out?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:18:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Check your wiring.  Relay or short somewhere.  

Or just nuke from orbit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 12:41:24 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Or just nuke from orbit.

Any idea which relay it might be?  I figure it could be a relay... don't care for working on electrical parts on cars

Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:24:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or just nuke from orbit.

Any idea which relay it might be?  I figure it could be a relay... don't care for working on electrical parts on cars

Start with the door lock system.  That would be my best guess.  A short in that system or possibly a bad switch/relay.  I am not an expert with your car.  Look for loose wires or connections.  

If it bothers you too much, and mainly drive alone, pull the door lock fuse.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:56:28 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Or just nuke from orbit.

Start with the door lock system.  That would be my best guess.  A short in that system or possibly a bad switch/relay.  I am not an expert with your car.  Look for loose wires or connections.  

If it bothers you too much, and mainly drive alone, pull the door lock fuse.  

It's my wife's car.  I don't want to get a call that she got locked out in the BFE somewhere.  Guess I know what'll be doing labor day.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top