Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2017 10:25:41 PM EDT
Thousands of farmed Atlantic salmon were accidentally released into the waters between Anacortes and the San Juan Islands, and officials are asking people to catch as many as possible. Tribal fishers, concerned about native salmon populations, call the accident “a devastation.”

Link:
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:38:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Thousands of farmed Atlantic salmon were accidentally released into the waters between Anacortes and the San Juan Islands, and officials are asking people to catch as many as possible. Tribal fishers, concerned about native salmon populations, call the accident “a devastation.”

Link:
View Quote

Tribal fishers have rarely been concerned with salmon populations other than to insure they get what they think is owed to them.  They're like democrats in that regard.  The accident isn't remotely devastating.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:44:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Atlantic Salmon in the pacific is a problem.  Basically an invasive species utilizing the same food sources and probably breeding grounds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#3]
So the eclipse broke the net????
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:47:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I read 4-5 thousand escaped, not 305K.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
The tides associated with it may have.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:50:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

The tides associated with it may have.
View Quote
Eclipses don't cause tides.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:53:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm confused...
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:54:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Eclipses don't cause tides.  Did I freakin' stutter?

New moons cause stronger tides.  Every month we have a new moon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:55:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Atlantic Salmon in the pacific is a problem.  Basically an invasive species utilizing the same food sources and probably breeding grounds.
View Quote
I partially agree.  When in the pens, however, they are not competing with Pacific stocks or breeding grounds.  When out of the pens, in this case, there are only a few thousand (tiny numbers compared to native populations) and they are the salmon equivalent of generational hatchery raised rainbow trout.  They act like generational hatchery fish in that they are used to being fed fish food, they use native food poorly (likely to starve), they are not skittish when around people or predators, and, if they do head for river to spawn, they will be in such small numbers their successful reproduction odds are tiny.  Their biology is out of sync with the Northwest.  With all this said, I'd rather they stay on the east coast though.  But biologically speaking, better to pen-raise them than native species.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:56:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
The gravity of both the sun and the moon do though...

So, kind of..
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:56:24 PM EDT
[#12]
So the tide at the time of the eclipse is somehow more potent than other tides on other days?
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Why in the royal blue fuck were they even in the Pacific in the first place?  This is so fucking stupid.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 10:58:54 PM EDT
[#14]
They are telling us on the news that we all need to go fishing and catch and keep all the atlantic salmon we can.

Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:05:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Correct, although they can make the tides stronger.

Solar eclipse tidal influence:
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:14:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Again, eclipses don't cause tides or make them stronger.  An eclipse is the Moon's shadow falling on the Earth.  It's just a shadow, it doesn't affect gravitational fields.

A new moon will cause a certain tidal effect, because the gravitational differentials on the Earth from the Moon and the Sun are added together.  But a few degrees of difference won't make any real difference.  If the moon passes by the sun a degree or two away, or if it passes by as a partial eclipse as it does at least once a year, or if it passes directly in front, the difference is mathematical, not observable.  And if an eclipse can cause an ecological disaster, I guess mankind wasn't meant to survive.

The planets aligning won't cause a gravitational beam that will rip apart the Earth either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:15:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I partially agree.  When in the pens, however, they are not competing with Pacific stocks or breeding grounds.  When out of the pens, in this case, there are only a few thousand (tiny numbers compared to native populations) and they are the salmon equivalent of generational hatchery raised rainbow trout.  They act like generational hatchery fish in that they are used to being fed fish food, they use native food poorly (likely to starve), they are not skittish when around people or predators, and, if they do head for river to spawn, they will be in such small numbers their successful reproduction odds are tiny.  Their biology is out of sync with the Northwest.  With all this said, I'd rather they stay on the east coast though.  But biologically speaking, better to pen-raise them than native species.
View Quote
I seem to recall reading somewhere there is a breeding population of Atlantic Salmon in or around BC somewhere - escapees from fish farming operations.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:25:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Whatever, earth is flat.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:31:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I seem to recall reading somewhere there is a breeding population of Atlantic Salmon in or around BC somewhere - escapees from fish farming operations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Intentional introductions by both Canada and the U.S. in B.C. and Washington State, and unintentional releases.  
Invasive Species Report 2014

"Potential ecological and/or economic impacts

There is no evidence that a self-sustaining population has developed and that Pacific salmon and steelhead are being displaced or taken over” (WDFW 2002). This may indicate that propagule number is not currently sufficient enough to facilitate establishment over the biotic resistance of the recipient community in the PNW and/or that the local ecosystem provide high biodiversity and biotic resistance to non-natives from entering the community. Over time this situation may change if interspecific competitors such as the Chinook or Coho salmon decrease in population size. However, currently, “reasons for the successful introduction by some salmonids, and failures of others including Atlantic salmon, are not clear. All of the evidence suggests that colonization is dependent upon one or more factors including the ability to compete for food, space and cover, and water tolerance to a wider range of environmental conditions” (Ginetz, 2002). The majors concerns of are that the Atlantic salmon will naturalize in the PNW and reproduce with the native population of Brown Trout and Pacific salmon which could alter the genetic diversity of native stocks. A decrease in genetic diversity with in the salmon population would also bring a reduction in nutrients as less salmon carcasses would occur in nature. Despite this, little is known about the ecological impacts from Atlantic salmon in the PNW. “Less than one percent of British Columbia’s streams possessing potential Atlantic salmon habitat have been surveyed for this species, and the same is surely true for Alaska and Washington. Therefore, the current status of self-reproducing populations of Atlantic salmon in the Pacific Northwest—if any exist—is largely unknown,” (Bisson, 2006)."
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:35:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

So the tide at the time of the eclipse is somehow more potent than other tides on other days?
View Quote
yes.

But the difference is likely very little.   I highly doubt any tide occurring during the eclipse was appreciably different from any other new moon tide.  Measurable by scientific instruments yes.  Enough to overcome things made to protect against every other tide no.

The worst tide possible would occur when:
The Moon was lowest in its orbit.  (closer to us = bigger tide)
The Earth was the closest to the Sun. (closer to us = bigger tide)
The Moon was eclipsing the Sun. (The more lined up things are the more completely the gravitational pulls from both bodies add together)
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 11:49:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Let's use a little science here....

Atlantic salmon were born/raised in a nearby hatchery with the fresh water plumbed in.
Then transferred into pens in the sound.

Pacific salmon were born/raised in a river miles upstream.

So...when Atlantic salmon are ready to breed, their instinct won't be able to tell them where to go, and they'll just die off.
The low numbers and predators will kill them off quickly when they are in the reproduction stage.

Non issue.

_
Link Posted: 8/23/2017 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nature always finds a way.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:41:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
One of the pens was damaged back in July by high tides.
It was repaired, but not very well.
High tides in August and this time it broke free.
Watch the video in the link.

Fish farm owner backs off eclipse cause for Atlantic salmon spill
http://www.king5.com/tech/science/environment/fish-farm-owner-backs-off-eclipse-cause-for-atlantic-salmon-spill/467282208
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:48:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Are they going to try returning to the net to spawn?
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Let's use a little science here....

Atlantic salmon were born/raised in a nearby hatchery with the fresh water plumbed in.
Then transferred into pens in the sound.

Pacific salmon were born/raised in a river miles upstream.

So...when Atlantic salmon are ready to breed, their instinct won't be able to tell them where to go, and they'll just die off.
The low numbers and predators will kill them off quickly when they are in the reproduction stage.

Non issue.

_
View Quote
Says someone who's never seen the Jurassic Park documentaries.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 11:57:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Says someone who's never seen the Jurassic Park documentaries.
View Quote
LOL
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:13:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Are they going to try returning to the net to spawn?
View Quote
they will home in on the source of the fresh water used to spawn, if that is a suitable stream then they could very well succeed.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:14:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:16:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I'm confused...
View Quote
Democrats

A.W.D.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:28:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Democrats

A.W.D.
View Quote
Vegan, Crossfit Turd pushers.  Seattle.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:31:53 PM EDT
[#31]
http://www.whidbeynewstimes.com/news/escaped-atlantic-salmon-biting-on-whidbey/

Although the release happened at Crooke Aquaculture’s Cypress Island location near Anacortes, there have been reports of Atlantic salmon caught in a variety of locations across Whidbey Island.

There is currently no size or catch limit on the species in an effort to protect the native Pacific salmon population.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:34:41 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last one did.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:36:04 PM EDT
[#33]
ITT we find out who don't understand how gravity works.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:36:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Last one was. I was on the beach watching.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 12:43:20 PM EDT
[#35]
Easy fix, just need to add some Pacific Salmon to the Atlantic to balance things out.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:38:05 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Easy fix, just need to add some Pacific Salmon to the Atlantic to balance things out.
View Quote
Seems easy enough.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 2:21:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds fishy to me...
Top Top