Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/20/2017 3:10:01 PM EDT
I've finally decided to stop renting power washers....and buy one.  

What's good, what's bad?  Does Lowes or Home Depot carry anything that's worth the money?

I need something with enough pressure/volume to do jobs like powerwashing my fence, my wood deck, cleaning off ATV's and dirtbikes.....stuff like that. It's probably going to get used a few times a month.....at the most.

What am I looking at spending?  $300?  $500?  +++??
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:16:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:39:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've finally decided to stop renting power washers....and buy one.
What's good, what's bad?  Does Lowes or Home Depot carry anything that's worth the money?
I need something with enough pressure/volume to do jobs like powerwashing my fence, my wood deck, cleaning off ATV's and dirtbikes.....stuff like that. It's probably going to get used a few times a month.....at the most.
What am I looking at spending?  $300?  $500?  +++??
View Quote
People seem to recommend one with a Honda engine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
I recommend whatever you can put on the bottom shelf of your cart and sneak out with.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:43:32 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a gas one that run great, has a Briggs & Stratton motor but that's about all i can remember off the top of my head.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:46:00 PM EDT
[#5]
You want:

Honda Engine
CAT Pump
4GPM minimum
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:47:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Costco usually has the Honda or Suburu branded ones pretty regularly. Given their return policy and that powerwashers can be finicky sometimes until they're sorted out, I'd say it's a no brainer to buy from them. (For home use, commercial $800+ units I'd look else ware)
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:51:44 PM EDT
[#7]
Family Guy - Peter Griffin drinks from fire hose
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#8]
20 years in the business.  Honda Engine 13hp, 3.7-4.2gpm, general, cat pump all will do the job just fine. What you want is the most WATER VOLUME for the amount you want to spend, not pressure. Pressure doesn't equate to cleaning power, water volume does. Pressure equates to damage caused by homeowners. A Honda engine 13hp with average 4gpm pump will get you enough cleaning volume to do most jobs. Pressure washing the driveway will still be a pain, but will most likely be much quicker than what you neighbors would use.

Direct drive or Belt would be fine. Direct drive would be a good bit cheaper. Honestly, for the amount of time you plan to use it a direct drive will last you 10+ years easy if you change the oil. In the beginning, I used a 4gpm direct drive for 8 years 3x weekly doing driveways, siding (home depot special). A direct drive will last you forever. No need to go to a belt model unless you want to swap pulleys and gain a bit more water volume and less pressure. New you would be looking at $899-$999 direct drive, $1300ish for a belt driven. Used on CL you would probably be in the $600 range.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:58:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Honda engine with an Admiral pump is all you need to know.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You want:

Honda Engine
CAT Pump
4GPM minimum
View Quote
*red & white Honda engine* fixed it
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, I consider myself an average user.  I live in suburbia, I clean my house and cars with my pressure washer, I occasionally do bigger projects like stripping my fence in preparation to stain.

I bought a unit with 3gpm and 3000psi, powered by a Honda gas engine with a direct drive axial pump.

It's not the nicest, but it's not the cheapest.  It does very well for everything I need.

I've had it for 4 years and it still does well.  Yes there are far nicer units but for the moderate use I get out of it, it's not worth spending more (I spent about $650 for a new unit, not from Home Depot).

While I can appreciate how it may be nice to have a 3000psi 4gpm unit, it hasn't been an issue for me.

We have these threads quite a few times during the summer in GD and invariably multiple people recommend expensive units that far exceed what you will ever need.  While I appreciate their interest in what would otherwise be considered an expensive commercial unit, it's not necessary to spend that much for what most guys like me (and I assume you) will need.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#12]
If you've got the money to spend, you want a Honda GX engine and a good triplex pump (CAT, general, etc.).  

That being said, I've got a Northstar with a Honda GC engine and a cheaper Annovi Reverberi axial pump, and it's treated me right for my modest home owner type needs.  If the pump ever needs to be replaced I can get one for $95 on Amazon.

ETA: For the sub-$500 bracket, this looks like a pretty solid homeowner unit: GX200 with Triplex Pump .  It looks to be the same as the Dewalt for sale at HD, but $100 cheaper and with slightly higher flow rate.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

I was using mine last week, Cat pump, Honda engine. We had just replaced all the seals, put fresh oil in it. The unloader wasn't working right, but it ran like a bat out of hell. I had new unloader parts on order.

One of my guys walks out, starts waving at me, shuts the pump off. I was like wth? I walk over, there's oil everywhere, it got hot enough to melt the plugs and dump the oil. I was probably minutes away from locking the whole thing up.

I just ordered a new pump, not even going to try and repair it. I'll swap it out this week.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:22:14 PM EDT
[#14]
My GrandMa had a gas powered RINGER - WASHER.
Rolled it out from the basement, filled it with hot water and soap. In went the laundry, a couple of tugs on the rope got the clothes cleaned.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:42:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:05:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Something was stuck on it, but it wasn't because I wasn't running water through it. I had been running continuously for about an hour, never letting go of the trigger, because if I let go the trigger, it stalled.

It ran beautifully. Probably overpressured some how, I wouldn't have stopped if my guy hadn't turned it off. It's my fault. My father is getting old (69) and more moody and he'd been grumbling for two weeks to get the pump fixed and knock the algae off the floors before some slipped and fell. Takes time to order parts, I had already waited a week for one set of parts and I figured I'd be able to get the really bad spots done to get him to lighten up. Nope. Melt down. I'm glad it happened to me and not one of my crew, because we'd all be sitting around bitching about how he screwed up.

Another $300 later, plus time, labor and parts I already put into it. Dad hasn't said much about it.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:11:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
OP, I consider myself an average user.  I live in suburbia, I clean my house and cars with my pressure washer, I occasionally do bigger projects like stripping my fence in preparation to stain.

I bought a unit with 3gpm and 3000psi, powered by a Honda gas engine with a direct drive axial pump.

It's not the nicest, but it's not the cheapest.  It does very well for everything I need.

I've had it for 4 years and it still does well.  Yes there are far nicer units but for the moderate use I get out of it, it's not worth spending more (I spent about $650 for a new unit, not from Home Depot).

While I can appreciate how it may be nice to have a 3000psi 4gpm unit, it hasn't been an issue for me.

We have these threads quite a few times during the summer in GD and invariably multiple people recommend expensive units that far exceed what you will ever need.  While I appreciate their interest in what would otherwise be considered an expensive commercial unit, it's not necessary to spend that much for what most guys like me (and I assume you) will need.
View Quote
I agree. I'm not a pro and just use it around the house here a few times a year. Mine is 2.5gpm 3200psi unut that I got for less then $300. Works fine for me. I cant justify a commercial quality washer at at lesat 3 times the price of mine.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:23:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
That's at least a $3000 unit right?  If the OPs got the money to blow on this, then his personal time is probably worth more than it would cost to have someone else to do the job 

ETA: Nice pressure washer though, and sometimes it's not about the money.  Anytime I'm running a gas powered piece of equipment myself, that's time that I can't hear my wife screaching at me for something I've done wrong .  I do as much work as I can with my own power equipment...
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:54:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Costco usually has the Honda or Suburu branded ones pretty regularly. Given their return policy and that powerwashers can be finicky sometimes until they're sorted out, I'd say it's a no brainer to buy from them. (For home use, commercial $800+ units I'd look else ware)
View Quote
Don't buy the Subaru! I happen to be expanding a Costco distribution facility right now where a lot of their product returns go through. There are 6-8 pallets STACKED with the Subaru pressure washer returns and only a couple of loose Hondas. That tells me all I need to know.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:56:52 PM EDT
[#21]
TSC

I would describe my use as you do yours. I got this model a few years ago and it has been great and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Honda GX engines have been the biggest pieces of shit for me.

Bought a Toro with a Briggs and it has run great for years, use pump conditioner.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:01:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
20 years in the business.  Honda Engine 13hp, 3.7-4.2gpm, general, cat pump all will do the job just fine. What you want is the most WATER VOLUME for the amount you want to spend, not pressure. Pressure doesn't equate to cleaning power, water volume does. Pressure equates to damage caused by homeowners. A Honda engine 13hp with average 4gpm pump will get you enough cleaning volume to do most jobs. Pressure washing the driveway will still be a pain, but will most likely be much quicker than what you neighbors would use.

Direct drive or Belt would be fine. Direct drive would be a good bit cheaper. Honestly, for the amount of time you plan to use it a direct drive will last you 10+ years easy if you change the oil. In the beginning, I used a 4gpm direct drive for 8 years 3x weekly doing driveways, siding (home depot special). A direct drive will last you forever. No need to go to a belt model unless you want to swap pulleys and gain a bit more water volume and less pressure. New you would be looking at $899-$999 direct drive, $1300ish for a belt driven. Used on CL you would probably be in the $600 range.
View Quote
Basically this.  I used to have a pressure washing business years ago.  Honda engine is a no brainer and GPM matters.  I still have the first cold water Landa machine I started my business with.  Runs like a champ.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:12:48 PM EDT
[#24]
I have a TroyBilt with a B&S motor that is around 15 years old. I use it 1-2 times a month in the summer on my porches and drive and it has paid for itself. With that said my next one will be something a little better like a Simpson.

I recently got a surface cleaner (they are amazing)  and have been using the washer much more so I'm not expecting the TroyBilt to last much longer. BTW I have no issues with B&S engines especially the commercial series. Quantum is a different story.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#25]
That's nice, I have only seen their electric models which I owned for only a short time. It wasn't impressive
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That isn't even the pic I wanted to post, but it will do.

That unit, while a belt drive shows the unloader that is a separate component instead of being built in to the pump head. That little black hose is the bypass line that allows the water to go into a loop when you let off the trigger. Look for a unit that has that.

That unit is/was about $1100.
View Quote
Dang, that's really a good price considering it's features.  I like the aluminum cart too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top