Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/1/2005 4:34:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 4:37:31 PM EDT by IchWarrior]
Stumbled across a kit that swaps 87-92 350 TBI (GMC/Chevy) engines over to multipoint fuel injection. They claim to offer up to 80 Hp/Torque increase, provided you also instal heads, headers and a new cam.

Worth it to swap over to Multi point FI? Its 1000 bucks to get the kit, with the new fuel pump to run it up to 16 or so pounds.

Im looking to add some spice under the hood to my truck, nothing too serious, its only a half ton but its a little sluggish when Ive got a horse trailer dropped on the back end.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 7:42:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/1/2005 7:43:30 PM EDT by YELLOWV]
With just the injection alone it wont be worth the time or money. It will only make good power w/ heads, cam, headers, exhaust, etc but then you are looking at more like $3000. If you want to do all of that it will work well but if it were me I would go w/ an Edelbrok intake, Holly double pumper and a mid size cam and some Hooker headers. You could probably get all of that for a little more than the price of the injection.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:55:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IchWarrior:
Stumbled across a kit that swaps 87-92 350 TBI (GMC/Chevy) engines over to multipoint fuel injection. They claim to offer up to 80 Hp/Torque increase, provided you also instal heads, headers and a new cam.

Worth it to swap over to Multi point FI? Its 1000 bucks to get the kit, with the new fuel pump to run it up to 16 or so pounds.

Im looking to add some spice under the hood to my truck, nothing too serious, its only a half ton but its a little sluggish when Ive got a horse trailer dropped on the back end.

That's quite a bit of cash, not to mention pita to mess with. Easiest way to make power on those is swapped the computer chip. Hypertech sells them, yours should be the easy one. Just unplug old one and plug in new one. Also K&N filter is not just hype, they do work. If you check Jegs or something like that I'm sure they sell the older PROM chips for those trucks. They used to be under a $100, unlike the newer computer systems that require an actual programmer.

You start swapping cams, heads, headers and what not it can really jack with a computer. The sensors/computers have parameters and all three of those run the risk of seriously confusing the sensors thus confusing the computer and make the truck run like shit. Like the ad says you have add all or none. But IIRC the aftermarket PROM chips allowed for extreme exhaust/cam changes if you should decide to in the future.

But running a catback or even a true dual exhaust off of the manifolds help. Stock catalytic converters slow and obstruct the flow of gasses severely, new mufflers and catalytic converter(s) help substantially also. Jet makes performance stuff for TBI, nothing wrong with it at all MPI is better but more expensive also. Those are strong running engines when modified correctly, biggest thing is the chip makes a big difference. Switching to a carbureted/non controlled would just be an absolute pain in the ass, and cost way more in the long run. They do make cams for those that are for computer controlled engines specifically. FWIW those stand alone injection units were more tailored for older muscle cars to retrofitted with electronic fuel injection versus using carbs or even the archaic mechanical fuel injection.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 7:43:24 AM EDT
I have had friend put all kinds of money in those POS TB injected 350's. It is not worth it. You MIGHT see 300hp. After dumping $2000. Jet and Hypertech sell crap that do nothing and a K&N filter will give you 1 whp if your lucky. Switching to a carbeurated setup is easy if you know what your doing and know how to tune a carb. Tuning fuel injection requires a laptop and a whole lot of no how.
Top Top