Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/27/2006 2:36:26 PM EDT
God, I hate those Ebay sniping cocksuckers.  Just lost a Hilti SF 4000 Drywall gun and SMI 55 feeder at the 1 second mark to some fucking douche.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:37:34 PM EDT
[#1]
E-snipe is your friend.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:38:32 PM EDT
[#2]
you can get great deals like that. I snipe ebay, but there are some pros that can get me with less than 1 second left
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:00 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
E-snipe is your friend.

if you can't beat them, join them
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Should have bid more.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
you can get great deals like that. I snipe ebay, but there are some pros that can get me with less than 1 second left

Its not skill, they are using software.

ezsnipe.com offer three free snipes....  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Fucking douche checking in!

Sometimes I think the sellers hate it more than the buyers. It prevents bidding wars.

You didn't lose because of sniping. You lost because your maximum bid wasn't high enough. Plain and simple.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

They arent pros, they use software.

I snipe though.  Not serious enough to use software though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
They are annoying.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:42:26 PM EDT
[#9]
sniping is the only way to fly on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:42:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I've done it, and I've also been a victim. Just the way it goes I guess.

I was the winning bidder on some tail lights for my old Dodge Saturday and I was expecting a sniper too, I dodged a bullet that time...no sniper.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#11]
justsnipe.com offers 5 free snipes per week and only costs $5 a month if you want unlimited.  I just won 3 auctions in the last week using it.  I'm not hot linking it on purpose because I don't need any more competition.  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:44:17 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a freakin AUCTION! Highest bid wins! You just have to keep in mind the time element, but if you are willing to bid 50 bucks, then BID 50 bucks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]
People get a program that puts in a bid when your not even on eBay.  You set the maximum bid, time and date of the bid.  The program does the rest.  

That really sucks.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Never bid on or bought anything off of Ebay but sniping sounds like the way to do it.

Shop smart, shop S(nipe) mart!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#16]
If I really want something, I bid at what I am willing to pay... If I get it for the amount, I can live with it. If I get it for less, good deal.

What I hate is the reserve bs... If you want "$x" for your item, start it off at that price, don't waste my time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT
[#17]
I 'snipe' but I do it on my own. Bidding in anything other than the last couple minutes is pointless for a buyer.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:47 PM EDT
[#18]
A is yuo.

If you had wanted to bid more for it you should have.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:46:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I win most of my auctions that way. Got to have a clock with seconds on it. 7 seconds before the end is my closest one yet, the force was with me, and won by 10 cents!
I'm the "cocksucker" that gets your goods! I love beating somebody who has some skills, I've been tempted to email 'em and ask what happened so I could learn from their mistakes.
I will give you a hint besides the one above....always bid what you want with an odd amount of cents behind it. People think in whole numbers. There are sites that will tell you how to win, for free.
See yopu on ebay.....
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:55:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Can someone tell me how the snipe programs work?  Does it automatically outbid the other person's maximum bid?  Or does it throw out your maximum bid at the last second?

Basically, are they fail safe or not?

Example.
Item's current bid is at $50.  The high bidder has thrown out $60 for the item.  You're willing to pay $75 so you tell the snipe program $75.

Would the snipe program offer $51, $61, or $75?

I'm just wondering if it's possible to beat the snipe programs?  I've bid on a few things last second and won the auction, and there's some where I missed.

A good one is where the item was showing $75 or so for the current bid.  It was something I really wanted and would probably cost you over $160 in a store.  I bid $130 at the last second (thinking the person probably only had $90-100 as their max).  The winning bid was like $131 (so I missed it).  I bet the seller was happy, because if I wouldn't have thrown out my bid, the item would've only gone for about $75.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:57:21 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can someone tell me how the snipe programs work?  

Check out www.auctionsniper.com

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
If I really want something, I bid at what I am willing to pay...  

I do too ... but I place that bid on auctionsniper.com so that no one else knows that I've bid until 4 seconds before the auction ends.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Just set your max bid higher and let the system work. If you get outbid it's because your max bid was lower than someone elses.

That's the way an auction works.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:00:23 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Example.
Item's current bid is at $50.  The high bidder has thrown out $60 for the item.  You're willing to pay $75 so you tell the snipe program $75.

Would the snipe program offer $51, $61, or $75?

I'm just wondering if it's possible to beat the snipe programs?  I've bid on a few things last second and won the auction, and there's some where I missed.

It'll put in your 75 bid to ebay when the auction ends. Ebays auto bidding thing will make sure that you just beat the person underneath you if you can. So if the bid is at 50, top bidder put in 60 as his max, and you entered 75 into your snipe program, then the snipe program will send 75 to ebay, and ebay will up the bid to 61 for you and keep you above any bid that is less than 75.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:02:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Ebay does suck!

BUT, I just scored a Seeknok 300lb. inch torque wrench for my new LMT MRP that showed up today for $11.50 shipped!

It sells for $105

I figured some one else would get it, but for once I catch a break??Go figure?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:03:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Bid it up to a point where the snipers take a hike...

I just had a guy snipe me down on an item that he could have used “buy it now” for and gotten it cheaper... What I do is bid an item up to ten bucks less than I can find it elsewhere. - Quite often, used shit will sell on ebay for WAY more than you would pay for a new item at retail.

The old saying about a fool and money.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:06:50 PM EDT
[#27]
BOO FUCKIN HOO!  Next time bid higher or are you cheap?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:08:31 PM EDT
[#28]
IM one of them. How else do you get a good deal
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:12:04 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:20:25 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
God, I hate those Ebay sniping cocksuckers.  Just lost a Hilti SF 4000 Drywall gun and SMI 55 feeder at the 1 second mark to some fucking douche.

Tough Shit.

You want it that bad, either have a higher minmum bid if you refuse to watch it, be there when it's over, or sign on to a snipe program.

Otherwise, don't gripe when you get outbid.

I love to snipe, mainly because I get a better pricem but also because I know it pisses the other bidders off.

SG
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:31:59 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tough Shit.

You want it that bad, either have a higher minmum bid if you refuse to watch it, be there when it's over, or sign on to a snipe program.

Otherwise, don't gripe when you get outbid.

I love to snipe, mainly because I get a better pricem but also because I know it pisses the other bidders off.

SG

+1!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#32]
Apparently by your outrage, as a child you never had an uncle take you Snipe hunting. If you had, it wouldn't bother you so much now!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#33]
I'm sorry, but anyone who complains about people "sniping" on ebay have no lives, or are sore loosers.  Sure, we want to get a good deal, but if you are looking for good deals on ebay, they just aren't normally there.  I've looked.  Have you ever heard the term, usually used by black men?

"Don't hate the player, hate the game."  

Means, don't hate the person who plays the game better than you, hate the game at which they are kicking your ass at.  

Kinda goes along the same lines as:  Don't want your ass kicked?  Learn to fight better than your attacker. Or "don't carry a knife to a gunfight, etc."

It's a service.  It's legal.  It's ingenious.  It's a better way to play if you really have to win on ebay.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:34:01 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
If I really want something, I bid at what I am willing to pay... If I get it for the amount, I can live with it. If I get it for less, good deal.

There is a trick for getting it for less.  Sniping not only wins more auctions but it usually gets it for you cheaper.  For example:

By bidding on an item you are drawing attention to it and that in turn causes more people to bid.  So by setting your max bid you are actually screwing yourself by promoting the item.  Some people want an item but they don't want it badly, such as the remote control I just recently sniped.  A replacement remote would cost me $159.  I found one on eBay list for $20.  Now anyone buy that remote must know what the remote actually cost to replace.  So if I bid that will tell someone that I was interested and would bid up high on it.  But since I didn't bid the person thought they could get a steal because no one was interested so they put a low max bid of only $40.  Well I put my snipe bid in at $50.  The auction ended and I won.  Had I put a max bid of $50 in instead of a snipe there is no doubt in my mind the other person would have easily outbid me and we would have been in a bid war up to around $100 for that remote.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:43:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I never bid on an item until the last 10 seconds..  Kind of like a 200 yrd head shot.

Glock 9
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:51:57 PM EDT
[#36]

I'd like to have an "auction end randomizer" function on Ebay.  When you auction something off, you only give a RANGE of time when the auction will end.  Say, from 4:30pm to 5:30 pm.  It ends SOMETIME in there.  Randomly.  

Hard to snipe at the last second if you don't know when the last second is.

Jim
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:05:14 PM EDT
[#37]
I think gunbroker automatically extends the auction for 10 minutes when a bid is placed to prevent this nonsense.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:09:39 PM EDT
[#38]
That time limit crap is stupid. If the bidding gets hot near the end, let it go on until there is dead quiet after 1 minute. More $

Most people who complain about sniping were sniping just as well. They just didnt bid enough in the end. Sometimes nickel and diming something is a sure way to lose. They big the smallest increments possible then the other guy ddoes it by a little bit more. Bid more win more.

Most people who complain about snipers are sniping as well, just bad at it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I think gunbroker automatically extends the auction for 10 minutes when a bid is placed to prevent this nonsense.

15 minutes.  Snipers get fucked.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:15:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Bid it up to a point where the snipers take a hike...

I just had a guy snipe me down on an item that he could have used “buy it now” for and gotten it cheaper... What I do is bid an item up to ten bucks less than I can find it elsewhere. - Quite often, used shit will sell on ebay for WAY more than you would pay for a new item at retail.

The old saying about a fool and money.

+1  Too many dumbasses get caught up in the "win at all costs" mentality and end up pissing good money after bad.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:16:44 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Should have bid more.

+1 bid the most you are willing to pay for something and if someone wants to pay more than that....so what! With E-bay's proxy bidding it will keep raising your bid up to your max. Regardless of snipers.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:19:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Hello!  Sniping cocksucker here!

I'm very sorry you're not smarter than the machines and technology you use...  

You lose!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:20:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

That would be a great feature ... and it seems like it would end up in higher auction prices so better for sellers and for ebay (fees).

I wonder why they don't do it.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Yeah, when I'm buying something, they suck. But when I'm selling . . . let's just say it's cool to see your item go for triple the price it was 2 minutes before the action ended. I've seen some real pros that could get it down to the second. I often compliment them in the message part of the invoice I send.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:21:33 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Should have bid more.

+1

There's no such thing as sniping. There's only maximum bidding, you got outbid, time is irrelevant. If your bid is high enough to absorb a last minute uppage, then you cannot possibly be sniped.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#46]
BTW, I try never to bid on any auction until the last 5-10 seconds...

eBay ought to mimck the gunbroker.com model, but until they do, I'm absolutely taking advantage of the situation...  
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:22:41 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

no, selling with a few extra accounts to use as shill bidders is the only way to fly
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:23:58 PM EDT
[#48]
The first time it happened to me, I wanted to cut the cocksucker's throat who sniped me.  I was pissed!  Over time, I learned that that's just how things go on E-bay, and have since become a pretty expert sniper myself (if there's something I really want).

Sad but true.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:24:24 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 7:26:54 PM EDT
[#50]
I snipe every auction, why should I bid when there is 3 days left so some noob who likes to see his name on the screen will keep jacking the price up?

That being said, I like the way Gunbroker works to, either way Im going to bid what I want to pay, if it goes higher than that so be it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top