Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/14/2009 11:18:20 AM EDT
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5hYS8CIYEBgudlm2SjLh0xekik0RwD98QK1182

Biden says 'everyone guessed wrong' on jobs number
50 minutes ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Vice President Joe Biden said Sunday that "everyone guessed wrong" on the impact of the economic stimulus, but he defended the administration's spending designed to combat rising joblessness.

Biden said inaccuracies in unemployment predictions shouldn't undercut the White House's support of the $787 billion economic revival plan that has not met the expectations of President Obama's team. Instead, the vice president urged skeptics to look at teachers who kept their classroom assignments and police officers who kept their beats because of financial assistance from Washington.

"The bottom line is that jobs are being created that would not have been there before," Biden said.

But they are not coming at the pace first estimated.

Just 10 days before taking office, Obama's top economic advisers released a report predicting unemployment would remain at 8 percent or below through this year if an economic stimulus plan won congressional approval.

Yet the Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that unemployment in May rose to 9.4 percent.

Biden said the White House is keenly aware of the gap between the rhetoric used to sell fast passage of the legislation and the reality that has 14.5 million people unemployed. The administration had predicted that the stimulus bill would create or save as many as 3.5 million jobs.

"No one realized how bad the economy was. The projections, in fact, turned out to be worse. But we took the mainstream model as to what we thought — and everyone else thought — the unemployment rate would be," Biden said.

Those projects came from a report co-written by Biden's chief economist, Jared Bernstein. Last week, Bernstein briefed reporters on the stimulus spending and insisted the report was in line with others' research, but not aligned with reality.

"At the time our forecast seemed reasonable. Now, looking back, it was clearly too optimistic," he told reporters last Monday.

The White House has tapped Biden as its chief spokesman on that economic stimulus plan, sending him across the country to drum up support for a plan that has yet to make the impact it promised. On Thursday and Friday, Biden visited Pennsylvania, Kansas and Michigan to highlight projects the stimulus has funded.

The vice president said losses each month have dropped, although the economy is still losing jobs.

"Can I claim credit that all of that's due to the recovery package? No. But it clearly has had an impact," Biden said.

Biden said the estimates were based on standard economic models.

"Everyone guessed wrong at the time the estimate was made about what the state of the economy was at the moment this was passed," Biden said.

Biden appeared Sunday on NBC's "Meet the Press" from his hometown of Wilmington, Del.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Bend over and prepare for "Stimulus II."
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:21:31 AM EDT
[#2]
More stimulus will fix this.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I do not approve of the way the federal mafia stimulates us.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:23:03 AM EDT
[#4]
No, 1/2 the country guess right and complained to their idiot representatives, but you all still did it anyway.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:26:19 AM EDT
[#5]
They were wrong and still are.  Is this really a surprise to anyone here?  The problem is the vast majority of the sheeple are content to just sit by and blindly accept the BS that is being put out by the ministry of disinformation and the obviously media outlets which are so deeply in the bed with the administration that they are spreading economic aids to everyone who swallows their loads of stimulus bullshit.

People need to wake up ..... sadly they're to busy with sucking up the the Marxist, apologist POS and are waiting for their "fair share" without having to lift a finger.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I seem to remember the Republicans unanimously voting against this idiocy because it wouldn't work and was an immense waste of money.  Oh, except for Specter, Snowe, and Collins.  I forgot about the RINO traitors in the Senate, at least one of them is where he belongs now, and is guaranteed to lose his seat next election to a regular Democrat.  Serves the bastard right.

There was an article in the Washington Post about how the Democrats are now concerned about the stimulus spending.  Not because it's wasteful sops to their supporters and special interests.  Not because it would triple the national debt.  Not because it would undermine the credit of the USA, but because it might adversely effect their fortunes in the next few elections.

Congress is the single biggest problem facing America.  Too many stupid, short-sighted fools in charge of way too much money and power over us.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:29:40 AM EDT
[#7]
People need to wake up ..... sadly they're to busy with sucking up the the Marxist, apologist POS and are waiting for their "fair share" without having to lift a finger.

The less people that wake up, the better.  Gives us all more time to prepare for the cataclysm that awaits us...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I seem to remember the Republicans unanimously voting against this idiocy because it wouldn't work and was an immense waste of money.  Oh, except for Specter, Snowe, and Collins.  I forgot about the RINO traitors in the Senate, at least one of them is where he belongs now, and is guaranteed to lose his seat next election to a regular Democrat.  Serves the bastard right.

There was an article in the Washington Post about how the Democrats are now concerned about the stimulus spending.  Not because it's wasteful sops to their supporters and special interests.  Not because it would triple the national debt.  Not because it would undermine the credit of the USA, but because it might adversely effect their fortunes in the next few elections.

Congress is the single biggest problem facing America.  Too many stupid, short-sighted fools in charge of way too much money and power over us.

lets just hope we can last the next year and a half
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The less people that wake up, the better.  Gives us all more time to prepare for the cataclysm that awaits us...

What sort of "cataclysm" are you expecting? Seriously...I'd like to know what you think is going to happen.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:36:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

lol...
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:40:01 AM EDT
[#11]
I often wonder if Dear Leader shakes his head with regret EVERY time Biden opens his mouth, and wishes he HAD put Hillary there as number 2.

But, then again, with her ability to "make people disappear," maybe it was a wise decision on his part.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:48:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
You know, if you mentally edit Biden's statement above and compare it to the Bush admin's statements on the presence––or non-presence of WMDs in Iraq, there are some similarities.

Now, IIRC, then Dems were all over Bush, et al. for using flawed intel, but it's OK for the NoBama admin to do the same?

Bro, they are just picking up the pieces Bush left behind. It is still his fault. Get with it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 11:58:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Yep. A person doesn't have to be smart and noble to get into Congress, they just have to get elected.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:11:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Shocker...

A bigger more intrusive stimulus plan must be in order
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:16:13 PM EDT
[#16]
""No one realized how bad the economy was.""

Super Depression here we come?

Must buy more ammo today....
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:16:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yep
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:16:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

ROFL....oh shit
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

+1

It will be like the Rocky movies, "Stimulus 14".  Then eventually they'll come up with catchy names for it like "Stimulus Redux" and "Stimulus Ultimatum".
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:19:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Biden's suck a fucking jackoff that I almost like him.

Weird.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:21:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bend over and prepare for "Stimulus II."

Yep, the solution to failed collectivism will be more collectivism.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Now, thanks to that "Stimulus", the Treasury yields are rising, credit is becoming expensive, and it's destroying the private sector...

Way to go fellahs....

Every job the stimulus is "creating" probably destroyed 2-3 productive private sector jobs.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:22:04 PM EDT
[#23]
The "stimulus" was never intended to put people who lost their jobs back to work. It was intended to prop up existing union jobs because union dues will fund Democrap political campaigns in 2010 and 2012. The American public needs to smarten up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Basically our leaders are stupid and do not live in a rational realm of thought. They just say what sounds good with no way of implementing a program or creating anything they just do and expect everyone to follow them off the cliff. Sorry they stand behind us as we fall off the cliff and they have a safty net of our tax dollars to fall back on.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:25:29 PM EDT
[#25]
now if only we could get some leadership that didn't "guess" on how things might turn out
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Our elected officials were wrong??????
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:38:19 PM EDT
[#27]
The first thing I thought of with Dear Leader's enormous stimulBS was:

"How the fuck do they expect to get out of debt by..... acquiring (a metric SHIT-TON) more debt?"

I compared it to my own situation with $8k in credit card debt.  "Gee, if I take $25k MORE out in debt, that'll solve the problem!"

Oh, wait, no it won't.  WTF?  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:57:41 PM EDT
[#28]
I want my money back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:04:57 PM EDT
[#29]
comes as no surprise
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:20:14 PM EDT
[#30]
The mainstream press has been trumpeting that the recession has finally bottomed out and that we are on the way to too a bumpy recovery.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:23:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The mainstream press has been trumpeting that the recession has finally bottomed out and that we are on the way to too a bumpy recovery.

"Bumpy recovery" = Obama won't let us say it's going to get worse.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#32]
fuck obama and fuck the press
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#33]
Joe Biden's a fool and an ass. There's no guessing involved. You look at numbers and they tell a story. That's the problem with donkeys. They think with their hearts, not their brains.

Today those asswipes are pushing national healthcare under the ASSumption it'll save money. PURE BS!

We owe $35K for every man, woman and child in the U.S. based on the national debt. We can't afford yet another entitlement. There are no free lunches.

'Nuff said.                  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:25:21 PM EDT
[#34]
We are being raped by the big penis of big government.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Joe Biden's a fool and an ass. There's no guessing involved. You look at numbers and they tell a story. That's the problem with donkeys. They think with their hearts, not their brains.

Today those asswipes are pushing national healthcare under the ASSumption it'll save money. PURE BS!

We owe $35K for every man, woman and child in the U.S. based on the national debt. We can't afford yet another entitlement. There are no free lunches.

'Nuff said.                  

The worst part is that it is now $37K+ and does NOT include unfunded mandates such as Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Federal & Military Pensions, (<- $55+ Trillion)  adding these in raises the number to $150K+.

So the avg family of four has a combined debt load of over $600K as of right now.  Guess what we are never going to pay this back ever.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 1:33:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep. A person doesn't have to be smart and noble to get into Congress, they just have to get elected.

Ha ha!  Fuckin' brilliant! Two diamonds one after the other...

For the common man this is as basic as it gets. Easy for me to understand, short enough to quote to others and in some ways more eloquent than a Shakespeare play...

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#37]
"Everyone guessed wrong"

Bullshit. Same old tired bullshit. If the govt had put together a REAL economic stimulus plan , to include lower taxes for the "evil rich folks"(who happen to be the ones that create and maintain all the jobs) and abolishing wasteful spending on BS govt programs , instead of the ginormongous steaming turd full of govt fuckups that they passed against OUR will , it wouldn't have mattered if they "guessed wrong" or not about jobless numbers , because the real people in this nation that actually know something about how to fix the economy would already be well on their way to fixing it instead of fucking it up worse with all this fake fairy tale stimulus spending crap.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:12:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We are being raped by the big penis of big government.

Correction: .gov has a baby dick

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:20:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Biden's suck a fucking jackoff that I almost like him.

Weird.

Stockholm Syndrome?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:23:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Our elected officials were wrong??????

No.

NEVER!!

NOT OUR POLITICAL LEADERS!!!!!!!!

THEY WOULD NEVER BE WRONG, THEY WOULD NEVER LIE TO US!!!

I call h4x.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:30:48 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Absolutely accurate.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Ever wonder where all the money went?
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Is hate too strong a word? .
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Not everyone guessed wrong, it's just that most of the people that guessed right are not on the President's side.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:48:27 PM EDT
[#45]

big fuckin suprise.

who on here didn't guess that this would be the case?

fuck obama and every politician in washington and every obama appointee. fuck em' all.

didn't even dloken say that the numbers were bullshit?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:59:07 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
You know, if you mentally edit Biden's statement above and compare it to the Bush admin's statements on the presence––or non-presence of WMDs in Iraq, there are some similarities.

Now, IIRC, then Dems were all over Bush, et al. for using flawed intel, but it's OK for the NoBama admin to do the same?

Oh, and spare me this BS about "saved" jobs.  There's no way to track that sort of thing, never has been.  It's cleverly combined with the word "created".  So, NoBama says "We lost 100K jobs last month, but it would have been a LOT worse if we had not created or saved 1,000,000 jobs."  Pure snake oil; he can't prove a word about what he's saying about this.

This, the whole thing is theory and you can't prove it one way or another. We very well could be seeing the end of the tunnel if we would of just let things alone, let the companies that practiced business badly crash, provide a safety net for the people and let another business fill the void.

That's not acceptable because (supposedly) certain businesses are "too big to fail", which is the thinking that got us into this.

So you can make up any crap you want to "Well, X amount of businesses would of failed, we saved Y". Very convienent.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:07:06 PM EDT
[#47]
NoBama is smart enough to know that if you can't prove it is true, you can't disprove it either, AND it sounds good.

Everyone who has any common sense knows that what has happened can never be undone.  The Chrysler thing + the GM thing, + the bank thing will come to haunt us.  There is no getting around it.  The problem that I see is this:  We further fucked ourselves when we tried to skirt the laws of economy.  Sorry, but we would have been better off if we had let these things take their course.  Instead, we intervened and now EVERYONE is on the hook, and not just the idiots who got us into this mess.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:12:29 PM EDT
[#48]
I don't know how anyone expected that there would never be an economic correction given the technology revolution we went through over the past 20 yrs.  Companies have been investing in technology that eliminates workers for a long time while the population just keeps getting bigger.  It took some extremely "creative" and sometimes questionable practices to even keep the economic expansion going as long as it did.  This whole thing started spiraling downhill when we were giving all our American dollars away to arabs and asians by the tanker loads.  Now we're shoving money down the throats of lazy ass po-folk so they can keep buying all the Made in China/Korea/Whatever trinkets and crap, things they should be doing without in a normal economy.  
What's scary is that almost all these problems in past history only get corrected becaus of some great World War and this pussy ass admin is about to let that happen right here on our home ground.  Makes me wonder if we might even be part of a grander plan and the ignorant dems are just riding the coattail all the way into our own demise.  Hell, aparently our allies are even seeing weakness from us since we can't even get enough support for a group to go over and squish that nuclear threat from NK.  I just hope like hell that we have something left to work with in 2010.  We want to think citizens will clearly see that things aren't working by then but with all the handouts to all the lazy a-holes, they'll think they're better off with this lunacy.  Hell, even my own kids nowadays think it ain't fair that they have to work to earn money.  And what in the world have we gotten out of any of the bailout money?  
I hope GM and Chrysler aren't the model of a successfull bailout since they are just now, even after the bailout, about to add a huge percent to the economic decline with plant and dealership closing that are probably a lot worse than if the market had run it's couse.  I personally think GM will more than likely fail simply because of the gov's involvement because I wouldn't buy one now for anything.  They'll probably be sending them out with welfare checks in the near future.  
And there is now a precedent set that says the fed can simply void any labor/wage contract if it don't like it like they did with the bonus money.  Imagine if some of those people passed up good jobs when they were available just to help keep the begging banks from comeplete failure just to find out when they finished thier job the gov says, Oops, we lied, now you can't get paid for the work as we already agreed to.  I'm personally just crossing my fingers and hoping we survive till 2010, (and keeping all my mags full and handy at all times).
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:21:16 PM EDT
[#49]
I know that every time I find myself standing in a 6 ft deep hole, I immediately grab a shovel and start digging deeper to get myself out.   If that doesn't work, a backhoe or two or three is sure to do the job.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Get ready to open those wallets, 401K, savings accounts and whatever else your keeping money in, the commies need more money to throw at failed ideas / projects.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top