Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2016 6:11:54 PM EDT
For the past 4-5 years, I’ve played with a ton of designs to hold up steel targets with the goal of having a durable stand without breaking the bank. PVC does not work. Wood does not work. Leaning it up against a tree does not work. Hanging it with cord does not work. Using a dedicated stand to hold steel works great, but they can also cost $100+ and only hold one target.

I was scouring the internet looking for ideas recently, and I came across this “stand system” made by a company called The Last Stand. I found it on Amazon, and it cost $39 plus shipping. The “system” is super simple: it’s two triangular pieces of thick self-healing rubber that hold 2 pieces of rebar on each end. All together, I have about $100 into this setup including the 6 green pieces, rebar, and hardware, and it holds as many targets as I can fit on it. If you look farther down, you'll see an even cheaper idea using shepherd hooks and rebar.

Here are a few pics of the triangle pieces, which are the basis of the stand:

The pieces of rebar attach by pushing into this rectangular slot:

And then snapping into place on the edge (requires a moderate yank and secures very snugly):

You then stack 2 more pieces of rebar on top of each other, and thread them across to hold the two triangles together. Here is the stand assembled:

You might be wondering what’s up with those green hangers, as was I when I first saw them. They are also made by The Last Stand and can be found on Amazon too for $21 for a 2-pack. The 2 pieces of rebar thread right through them, like so:

They have 2 holes to adjust the height of your target. Here is a 6” diamond on the low hole:

And here is an 8” circle on the high hole:

The entire system is advertised as being made of a self-healing material, and the only rule is to not use hollow points. So I didn’t. This is what a round of 9mm looks like going through the target. Notice how it did heal itself pretty well:

Basically any steel target can attach to these hangers, and I just grabbed a few carriage bolts, nuts, and washers from Home Depot for a couple bucks, and they work great:

Here is a pic of the back of the target, showing everything bolted on from the rear:

One of the neat things about this system that I liked a lot was how portable it is. The rebar triangles can pop out of their “sockets” and fold down for easy storage like so:

Now, for some people, you may want something even cheaper—especially if you only want to hold one smaller target for a time (great for handguns and rimfire). Home Depot also had some thick, iron 48” shepherd hooks that work great as a budget target stand. Don’t buy the think wire ones; they don’t work. Get the beefier ones made from what looks like iron. They were about $7 each.

I haven’t tested this extensively yet, but by putting 2 shepherd hooks a few feet apart form each other and laying the rebar on top, you can make a stand similar to the design by The Last Stand that can hold a row of targets. This pic is overkill and has a bit too much weight on it, but you get the idea. I’ll probably grab a few more hooks, put one piece of rebar across them, and hang some small, thin steel for 22lr fun. I probably won't use centerfire rifles on this setup.

And here’s a final pic of everything in my yard, before I took it out to the land to blast:

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty cool, nice work
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:18:45 PM EDT
[#2]
That is fucking sweet, man. My stands are made of rigid 3/4" conduit and the targets hang from chain. They suck ass the way they flop around after each hit. This looks like a much better system.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:28:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Got the same thing at Sportsman's Warehouse a while ago.
Working in a plastic injection shop I am really pissed at myself for not inventing that before someone else did
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Great pictures, I have those corners and they are great for hanging steel, the only thing you need in addition is a good set of welding gloves.  

Bullet jacket fragments have a tendency to become embedded in the material and without gloves will lay your hands open.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:36:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nice!!!

Thanks for the write up.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:41:00 PM EDT
[#6]
You can build the plastic end pieces from 1"/ 3/4" pipe, and use hangers made from bailer belts (flat tire material)

the rebar is shit of it catches any rounds at all, use 3/4 cold roll and 1" cross bar for heavy duty targets.

All in all it will cost less than buying the plastic stuff

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:51:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I made my stands out of 3/4 in black pipe, but yours looks much more portable.

2x4s work, if you accept that they, like chain, are a wear item.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 6:57:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine are very close, just used conduit instead of rebar and used old firehose to hang the plates
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:23:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can build the plastic end pieces from 1"/ 3/4" pipe, and use hangers made from bailer belts (flat tire material)

the rebar is shit of it catches any rounds at all, use 3/4 cold roll and 1" cross bar for heavy duty targets.

All in all it will cost less than buying the plastic stuff

View Quote

I wouldn't want any plastic on a target hanger. That's a recipe for disaster. I actually did strike the rebar twice with 22lr, and it hardly even left a dent. If I do manage to hit it, each piece was about $3.50 so it won't break the bank to fix.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:14:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been using a metal sawhorse with chains to hang the targets. All the paint has been blasted off of alot of parts and it's full of bullet holes, but it's withstood alot of rounds.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:24:32 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the shepherds hooks but put a shackle on the gong so it hangs sideways on the hook.  Stick the hook in the ground with a slight forward lien and it catchs very little splay and isn't in the line of fire.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 9:55:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I use the shepherds hooks but put a shackle on the gong so it hangs sideways on the hook.  Stick the hook in the ground with a slight forward lien and it catchs very little splay and isn't in the line of fire.
View Quote

Do they hold up to 5.56, or do you just have to stick to handguns and rimfire?
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:05:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Well I was going to post pictures of an even easier-cheaper stand but Photo Bucket won't open
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:07:45 PM EDT
[#15]
That's a pretty cool idea

I use "hang fast" targets. I've tried a lot of steel and their system is the best and loudest I've found
They sell steel plates and brackets that slide over those cheap green fence posts. I just got a 10" gong and ipsc silhouette for like $150 on sale this past weekend.

ETA: they sell just the bracket and hardware if you already have targets
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:09:43 PM EDT
[#16]
I got a set of the stand corners in recently.  I really like them.

The rebar for one will all fit inside 2" schedule 40 PVC, just cement a slip fit cap on one end, and have another to stick over the other end, then toss the whole deal into the back of your truck.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#17]

I watched the video on their site. I just have to know, why did they slip a picture of a little kid chewing on one of the hangers?

I get that they're rubber but isn't that kind of a bad idea to suggest? You know some dimwit is going to let their toddler chew on one that's been shot full of lead
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
That's a pretty cool idea

I use "hang fast" targets. I've tried a lot of steel and their system is the best and loudest I've found
They sell steel plates and brackets that slide over those cheap green fence posts. I just got a 10" gong and ipsc silhouette for like $150 on sale this past weekend.

ETA: they sell just the bracket and hardware if you already have targets
View Quote

I already have a spare fencepost thing or two laying around, so that's actually not a bad idea at all for another target...
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:25:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Thank you pointman12.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:28:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks OP.

(off to Amazon)
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:39:22 AM EDT
[#21]
I know the dude who developed the Last Stand.  I've used them and they are okay but for 40.00 I can buy and make 6 stands that are made of steel and can be hit by a BTHP (the bullet shot by most precision rifle shooters, by the way). The Last Stand stands cannot be hit by OTM/"hollow point" bullets or they will get destroyed.

You should get at least 2 sets for that much dough.

As far as hangers go, you can buy a 10 pack of rubber tarp straps with the S hooks for about 8.00 on Amazon and they last a really long time. Even if you hit them, they are cheaply replaced.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:40:30 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I know the dude who developed the Last Stand.  I've used them and they are okay but for 40.00 I can buy and make 6 stands that are made of steel and can be hit by a BTHP (the bullet shot by most precision rifle shooters, by the way). The Last Stand stands cannot be hit by OTM/"hollow point" bullets or they will get destroyed.

View Quote

How are you making 6 stands for $40? Care to share a list of materials and methods?
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:46:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

How are you making 6 stands for $40? Care to share a list of materials and methods?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am on my iPhone right now and am not great at typing on it so forgive me, but you just get steel tubing, maybe .5" diameter, cut it into 8-10" sections, weld them at about a 90 degree angle.  Then, weld another a segment so that you can run a section of rebar between the two sides.  You then insert rebar into those 90 degree sections (maybe 3' long) for the legs.  Then hang your target from that center section. I know, horrible description so I'm off to find you a pic. Standby please.

Okay, so I admit, I suck with the damn iphone screen grabs...go to google, type in "rebar target stand" and see about 4-8 pictures in and you'll get the idea.  So much better (and way cheaper) than the LS units.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:53:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I am on my iPhone right now and am not great at typing on it so forgive me, but you just get steel tubing, maybe .5" diameter, cut it into 8-10" sections, weld them at about a 90 degree angle.  Then, weld another a segment so that you can run a section of rebar between the two sides.  You then insert rebar into those 90 degree sections (maybe 3' long) for the legs.  Then hang your target from that center section. I know, horrible description so I'm off to find you a pic. Standby please.

Okay, so I admit, I suck with the damn iphone screen grabs...go to google, type in "rebar target stand" and see about 4-8 pictures in and you'll get the idea.  So much better (and way cheaper) than the LS units.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure that would work well, but I don't know how to weld or know anybody that can weld. This thread was intended for people that can't fabricate this kind of stuff; if you can, then I would assume you'd just make it yourself in the first place, rather than searching for other simple options.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:39:51 AM EDT
[#25]
I've had good results using strip curtain material from walk in cooler/freezer doors. They take a lot of rounds and still hold.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:56:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I made some out of old steel pipe welded into a big square base with a cross bar. The steel targets are old boiler plate welded to old truck coil springs which are welded to the crossbar. I always take a can of white spray paint to touch up between groups. I've also got some old railroad ties framed up into a "doorway" that I lag bolt semi truck mudflaps to so I can staple paper targets on them. The mudflaps will hold up to thousands of rounds before needing replaced.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:23:25 PM EDT
[#28]
First post! The Last Stand was actually invented and created by my father! Its a family owned and operated business out of Boise Idaho. He is also a disabled vet. I am very fortunate to be able to shoot almost daily if i chose to and i have been shooting at two sets of these for about 3 years now. They have been out in the weather the entire time and thousands apon  thousands of rounds put on them and they still haven't failed. They really are an excellent product and I am so proud of my fathers hard work to bring this to the market for you all to enjoy! As for the price $39.99, this is not a cheap product for him to produce. It takes a lot of time and labor to produce one set. And The Last Stand solves many problems for people who simple want something durable, easy to use, fun to shoot at and easy to transport. And like the author said, you don't have to be a welder and fabricator to have a totally bitchin target stand! Check out The Last Stand on amazon and read the 70+ 5 star COMMENTS that he has if you would like some more feedback on how awesome this American made product really is! Thanks for the support guys!
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 1:54:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Use 2x4 blocks drilled at angles to accept rebar.
Firehose or strips of scrap tire for target hanger.

All you need is a drill and a handsaw, maybe a hacksaw if you decide to use strips of scrap tire tread.

My current preferred plate hanger: MOA Target A-Frame Bracket

You can use rebar, tubing, black pipe or buy the other one that uses 2x4 boards for cross-members.

I really like using scrap tire for target hangers, it doesn't twist or allow the target to bounce around a lot like on chains or cables.
If you can't find scrap tires, use mud flaps.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#30]
JCSTEEL targets sells a similar system for rebar made of welded pipe that costs much less and includes conveyor belt strip for hanging. They also sell steel targets and ship at a very attractive flat rate. They have their own PSR shoots and have a camp where they teach kids how to weld.

Not my picture but I have 4 set up like it that I move around my rifle range. I hang two gongs on each.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Nothing beats FREE swingset frames... with free chains... they can be found in just about any neighborhood or scrap yard.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:29:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
That is fucking sweet, man. My stands are made of rigid 3/4" conduit and the targets hang from chain. They suck ass the way they flop around after each hit. This looks like a much better system.
View Quote

If your target has two mounting points, try to use both of them.
Also, consider using mud flaps or strips of scrapped tire.  It's more rigid and soaks up hits and frag better than anything else I've used.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Buddy and I have a set of these.

Works extremely well.  

Company will ship quickly as well.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top