Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2002 11:06:10 AM EDT
anyone have one I am thinking of getting one and was wondering if anyone has had good or bad luck with them?
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:08:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Bad.

Bought one of their laptops.

It never worked right.

Took it back.

Name brands. You may get what you pay for.

Generic brands. You definitely will NOT get what you DON'T pay for.

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:12:37 AM EDT
[#2]
They are horrible!

Keving67
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Lets see , under-powered , not really upgradeable , proprietary power supply (took me a year to find a supplier for them ) . Just generally cheap junk .
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:19:04 AM EDT
[#4]
OK now I know every one will say NO.. but here is my feedback...
Over a year ago a bought a desktop for my sister as a birthday gift < yeah I know "cheap bastard" >  It has never given her a proplem that wasnt her fault..
I wont buy a CDRW cause I always go to my sisters house and burn 2-3 at a time..
Has never failed me/her once. .. other than having a crapy mouse and speakers...   no complaints..
Her comp. uses include:
Printing evrey email ever sent..
Ebay.
Chat.
Music Copying.
Some side business she does.. < recipts, invocies>

Them things are so damn cheap ... that if ti does screw up.. get another one... and your still ahead..

Cluster

Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:22:34 AM EDT
[#5]
The only problem I have run into is the power supply problem.. I don't know if it has been fixed, but for whatever reason it is not designed properly. And sometimes the machine will not turn on... The solution is to unplug the cable from the back of the powersupply at the computer end and plug it back in. Then turn the computer back on. The only reason that I can see for this is that there is a capacitance that is building on the primary of the Transformer... I don't know though , really that is just my guess..

Ben
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:25:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:28:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a friend who's primary duties at work are involved with wrangling PC hardware. He eventually realized that 2/3 of their hardware problems were coming from e-Machines brand systems.  Since only about 1/3 of their systems were by e-Machines, he specifically suggests NOT buying them.  

I've had good luck with HP's Pavillion systems, and hear good things about Sony computers as well. Not quite as cheap as e-Machines, but good components.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:33:43 AM EDT
[#8]
my suggestion is that you just build one.  then you know what you get, easy to upgrade, no sales man to lie to you and it is cheaper to upgrade in the future.  I got burned once by a punk saleman and ever since I have built my own.  If you can clean and ar, you can put one together.

Later
lojack
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:37:50 AM EDT
[#9]
My father in-law needed a new computer, so we got him one of those e-machines. The first one blew a sound card, so they replaced it. The second one has a loose fan, so it hums, but otherwise it works fine. For 300 bucks, it isn't a bad buy. If you can afford 700, then go for a name brand, but if not, it isn't a bad way to go.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#10]
My sister's law firm upgraded all of their computers to Emachines about a year ago and when they did she got me one too because they were getting a decent price break.

Mine is the T1110 with the 1GHz Celeron, CD-RW, 256 Meg RAM & 30 Gig HD. It came with Windows XP and I have had absolutely zero problems with it. Like cluster said though, it does have shitty speakers, but I don't really listen to much on my computer so that's a non-problem for me.

I haven't had any problems with the power supply, but then again, my computer has only been turned off 5 times max since I bought it. It came with a 56K modem, but since I've only used DSL or cable I don't know either way about it.

For the price I don't think I could have gotten a better system.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#11]
eMachines = c-r-a-p-i-n-a-b-o-x

the_reject
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#12]
thanks for the imput.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 12:56:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
but those kids could break a blacksmith's anvil if they got one for a present.
View Quote

Aimless, that's a good one!!!
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:11:55 PM EDT
[#14]
They are junk. I replaced a power supply fan and a modem in one a few weeks ago. Damn fan was a proprietary design so I had to drill new holes to mount a standard fan on it. What a piece of junk.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 5:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Had one for 3 years now.  Modem failed after 6 weeks. They sent me a new , beefier looking modem. Installed it----Unit still running just fine.

Yes, there are much better units out there, for a lot more money. After all the rebates, from e machines, the retail chain, and Canon on the printer, I've got about $250 invested in everything.  I ain't complaining.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:43:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I have an E Machines with Celeron 700 mhz processor. I have had it for about 1.5 years now and it has never had any sort of problem what-so-ever. I use it for surfing the net, chat rooms, burning CD's and your basic office type applications. While I like the computer just fine, I don't care much for the Windows ME operating program that came with it. But as far as performance, this one does better than my Gateway did. It constantly froze up while in use. From what I have seen, the HP's that you can sometimes find at the Wal-Mart supercenters are also a good buy. But whatever it is, make sure it has a quality hard drive and bus system and it should be ok. That's basically all that seperates one brand from another anyway.
Link Posted: 6/24/2002 7:54:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I bought an E-machine Etower 400 about two years ago.
I only use it for I-Net and personal home programs (No Gaming!).
It has not given me a bit of problems since I've owned it.  That being said, would I recomend it?
Probably not, but it would depend on your application.
Even though I've not had a problem with my E-Machine, my experience with the brand would probably turn my next purchase to either a Cow machine or a Dude machine....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top