BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/16/2001 9:39:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Shot by a BB gun, hurt like hell.[:)]

Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:24:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Only if you count pellet rifles, airsoft guns, paintball guns, squirt guns, and steel shot that had spent most of its energy (one time it had enough to break skin).

Kyle
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:38:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Do grenade fragments count? F*cks ya up for life, man. no spleen, clips all over the inside of my chest(I set off metal detectors), 7 really large scars(I ONLY take off my shirt to bathe and f***), leaves you weak as a kitten for months afterword(though no PT was a plus). I got hit while going to the ground (ok, so I was a little slow, WTF?), and 1 fragment about the size of a quarter hit me in the left side, going through my pistol belt, and into my side, stopping just under my collarbone. On it's way, it ripped up my: stomache, spleen(removed), internal mammory artery, diaphragm. It didn't reall hurt that bad, about like getting hit by a speeding baseball bat, I guess. I was still able to run to the medic, but loss of blood made me tire REALLY fast, and I just f*cking KNEW I was dead. (Boy, was mom gonna be pissed) I remember "commenting" on how tired I was, and the PSgt(I guess he thought I meant "sleepy") yelled right in my face "Don't you go to GD sleep! If you go to sleep, you'll never wake up, so STAY THE F**K AWAKE!" It's weird how hot blood can feel. Anyway, my uniform was soaked from my left armpit all the way down my left side, including my socks. The Dr who fixed my stomache later told me that after 3 tries, they finally got a B/P of 25 over 0, and that I should have been dead when I got to them. I ain't pissin' off the old lady, F*** that! Buddy, let me tell ya: it may take awhile for them to get chow to ya, and you may sometimes feel like nobody gives a sh*t about you, but if you get hit, you become the center of the universe, and the US military WILL get you to a hospital with AMAZING speed, and don't care what it takes to do it. After that, the normal troubles that people tend to freak out over, like taxes, getting behind in bills, the car breaks down, etc. just don't get much of a rise out of me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 10:44:19 PM EDT
[#4]
12ga Shotgun blast, through a car window(from the outside), glass and buckshot in my right side. I still have some glass fragments healed up in my side. This happened approx. 14 years ago in my troublemaking heyday. I didn't go to the hospital, which is why some of the glass is still in there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:14:10 PM EDT
[#5]
While bird hunting,I took a pretty good blast from another hunter. Lucky he was out of range to do damage but If I had been looking In that direction things could have been different.
Link Posted: 4/16/2001 11:53:46 PM EDT
[#6]
when i was 15 or 16, i was walking home from my after school job when this kid from the other side of the parking lot started shooting at me. shot about 10 rds of 9mm, one hit me right in the gut, whare i had a book in my pocket. pissed me off more than anything else. i caught up to him and the rest is history (meaning he was far worse off than i) had a bruise for a week. i figure it was maby 50 feet.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 12:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Shot myself with a 12ga. in the forehead. I shot at a junked out washing machine at the range. A few pellots bounced back and hit me right in the forehead. It kinda knocked a little sense into me after that happened.

Link Posted: 4/17/2001 1:46:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:34:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Got hit in the back of the head with what I think was a .22 about 14 years ago.  

Was at a party when a couple of guys began fighting.  All hell broke loose and a couple of people pulled guns and started shooting.

I was ducking for cover when I felt a heavy sting in the back of my head.  The bullet apparently bounced off my head.  There was some bleeding mut not even much of a headache.

I was lucky, very lucky.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#10]
I got shot with a 20ga. shotgun from behind into my left side. I was hunting and the guy I was with tripped and his gun went off. Luckily I was carrying my weapon at high port or I would have lost my left arm. Still have 13 pellets inside. The pain wasn't too bad until they started digging around in the wound at the hospital!
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:57:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Shot? Hell yes! Years [i]ago in my troublemaking heyday[/i]! (Treetop said it first)

Hit? Nah! (thank God!) It is really hard for those shooting at you to hit you if you are also shooting at them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 4:10:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Twice. A .22 in '79 and a 9mm in '86. Can't say as I recommend it.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 4:27:17 AM EDT
[#13]
They don't call me Quick Draw McGraw for nothing . In the leg with a 22 Hi Standard Double Nine.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 4:55:01 AM EDT
[#14]
Been shot twice, both times pheasant hunting.  You'd have thought that I'd have learned after the first time.

For anyone who has never tried it, pheasant hunting in NJ is like going out for a gallon of milk in Kosovo.  Saw one guy actually bring a pistol gripped Mossberg Cruiser! [%|]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:05:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Shot throught the fleshy part of the right ankle...a clean wound...in 1967 in a country far, far away.

Knife wound to right leg (almost lost it) same time period, same place.

Various other trophy scars for my efforts...

Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:21:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
rocksalt count? ok... im in.[%|]
View Quote

Been there, done that, got the little scars on my a$$. Picture me standing in the shower popping little pieces of rock salt outta my... No, as you were, don't picture that.

And to all of those who took hostile fire in our Nation's Armed Forces: Thanks, gents.

Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

----------------
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
--George Orwell
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 5:32:16 AM EDT
[#17]
My brother shot me in my lower left leg with a .45 about 6 years ago.  Was pretty bloody but actually didn't hurt at all.  After going to the hospital and realizing I wasn't too screwed up we just laughed about it.  I will not tolerate any unsafe handling of guns anymore though.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:10:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Melonpopper- funny that you said the Army comes to the rescue quickly.
I was behind a tree and a blooper went off about 15 feet above me. Sent wood fragments into my kidney area, deep and wide. Not as much blood as I would have thought. Blood expanders kept up with it, Prc77 said that if we could get to coordinates xyz, (1 day away at night) they would be glad to help. Took three days. Then it was clean sheets and a sponge bath by a big black guy.
Costa Rica was still fresh in my mind.
Infection started to take hold, but was knocked down in a day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:46:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Had a few aimed at me but never benn shot yet,
but I do have a story for you...when I was 12, i
was helping my father mow my Grandmothers yard.
He ran over a .22 and shot himself in the ankle,
the slug spiraled up his leg and stuck in the calf muscle, later it worked its way back down.
shot by a lawnmower---that's my dad
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 6:52:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:Buddy, let me tell ya: it may take awhile for them to get chow to ya, and you may sometimes feel like nobody gives a sh*t about you, but if you get hit, you become the center of the universe, and the US military WILL get you to a hospital with AMAZING speed, and don't care what it takes to do it.
View Quote

That's what makes us the U.S.  God Bless America!
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 7:13:27 AM EDT
[#21]
When i was in the army i got hit in the head and knocked out with a grenade i seen it coming
out of my right eye. hit the dirt. blame all
lights went out. lucky it didn't go off. i wouldnt have a head left. i woke up later my right side of my head was swollen.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 11:35:28 AM EDT
[#22]
I got hit by a .338 win mag bullet fragment. Went into the back of my hand. Wasn't much pain (felt like a bee sting) and minimal bleeding as the fragment was so hot it cauterized most of the wound.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#23]
i guess i'm the only guy here who got shot by an AR.  Well sort of--i was shooting one day and noticed i had one round left and about the same time noticed a steel gong hanging at 25 yds.  Popped it and immediatelyfelt something hit me in the neck.  Thought that something just grazed me but the next day felt a thick spot in my neck about 2 inches from initial wound.  Went to this orthopedic surgeon who was a member of the gun club and i knew would xray me without a bunch of fuss.  anyway had chunk of bullet or gong in my neck--he said would be OK to let it be so one tetanus shot later i hauled ass all the wiser. Few years later when i had reached my deductible on group insurance had it removed....Moral of the story....do not shoot anything hard up close....Dick

Link Posted: 4/17/2001 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Yes
I was 18 and working at western surplus in Hawthorne Ca. The boss use to have me dress up in a security uniform and have me stand at the front door when I was not working the gun counter.
Some guy came in with a .22 rifle that he had bought from us and was having problems with.
the salemen asked him what was wrong with it    the man said in broken english that the rifle ketp jaming. the salemen asked if there was a jamed round in the rifle  the man said no so the salemen started to play around with it and " BANG " I got hit square in the chest I fill to my knees thinking  for a sec. that I'v been shot (BUT) thin I remembered that I was waering a bulit proof vest that the boss had to force me to wear (THANK GOD) Man that hurt like a S.O.B. knocked the air out of me and also scared the s#!t out of me to.[sniper]
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 1:58:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Error!
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 1:59:02 PM EDT
[#26]
The last time, I took a Glaser .45 in the left thigh just above the knee at an angle about three years ago it took out plenty of soft tissue, lots of blood. The VA took care of the wound, with a young female surgeon doing the repairs who was also a Gulf Vet who had plenty of hands on in the Gulf! It took many, many months to heal because of the gapping wound, infections when the fragments would break surface, but fine now!
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#27]
not me unless you count .68 caliber co2 thrown paintballs or BBs, I did get to see the after-drama when my little brother took a back full of birdshot from a friend of his when we were out hunting once, I heard him yell a bunch of obscenities and saw him stumbling around trying to punch the guy which was pretty funny really hate to say it, then he drops his pants and shirt lays down on the ground and makes the dude pick out every little piece.

Nobody was hurt here, and all three of us laugh about it today but, Gun Safety People!! I can't even count how many barrels I've looked down or seen other people look down at gunshows and ranges, and thats exactly how it happens, if we had been hunting anything but duck that day I might not have a bro anymore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#28]
TINY, my folks used to live in Hawthorne, and I remember Western Surplus well. Man, what a store! They used to have ALL the cool shootin' irons hanging from the ceiling, on the wall. I always had an eye for that Auto-Ordnance Thompson. And that huge cut-away .50. I guess there are no more stores like that in Calif. Too bad.........
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Thank god I have only taken spent rounds and ricochets.
Once took my own .357 bullet to my face, it had bounced off the concrete floor of the range. Just a little bleeding, but it blows people away when you say you took a .357 Magnum bullet in your cheek.
Wear your shooting glasses!!!
I also took an AK ricochet when my friend was shooting an old car, nice crease in my arm, but little blood and no nerve damage. Didn't even see a doc.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#30]
I once had a round blow up in my Uzi, it blew powder and fragments in my face no blood. once I had some fag shooting a .22 at me while I was riding my mt. bike.
Link Posted: 4/17/2001 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#31]
ahhh yes, western gangster surplus
when was the last time you worked there? tiny

i go in every once in a great while, i went in the last few months of 1999 when AWs were still legal, and hoping to find a good deal. well there was some scummy gangbanger yelling at the counter guy "WHERE Da ARs, WHERE Da ARs, HEY BOSSMAN WHERE Da ARs"
they were 2 feet in front of his nose against the wall, the "bossman" term sure signaled to me that he had done some time in the State Pen
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 4:42:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Manage to duck at all the right times in the Air Force, but a bowling pin match finally got me.  

My friend & I had nine pins across a table to clear off with our .45s.  There were four or five "hostage" pins in front of the nine target pins.  After abour three or four shots, I felt a whack and my eyes rolled a bit.  I could still see, so I finished the table, set the gun down & sat down.  One of his 230 Grain FMJs had bounced off a pin and hit my just above the bridge of the nose.  Didn't break the skin, but left a lump that must have swelled up an inch.  I'll guess that the pin moving back when it was hit sucked a lot of the energy out of the slug, thank goodness.

We came in second.

Norm
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 4:54:01 AM EDT
[#33]
Schrapnel twice from booby traps- US and Chicom Frags les and back and a tracer ricochet off the tailgate of a duece and a half ( 6 by to you jarheads out there ) left knee
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#34]
While at Ft Dix, in 1975, I was assigned to lead a squad of ammo carriers through a hostile fire zone, to resupply another platoon on the other side of the battle zone. Low crawl was the recommended mode of transportation, from one area of cover to another. You would be surprised how fast you can crawl, while loaded down with rifle, gear, and extra ammo, when machine guns are shooting at you.
About halfway along the longest open stretch, I was hobbled by a wicked hamstring cramp, and could barely move.
I was killed by heavy machine gun fire.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#35]
I shot an old tire in the woods one day with a 9mm. It was only about 10 feet away and the ricochet came back and grazed my neck. Young, stupid, and not very gun safe.

Years later, using the same at an indoor range, a case ruptured and sent junk all over my face and hand, and blew the grip and part of trigger mechanism out of the gun. After it was put back together, it happened again about 10 rounds later. Gunsmith put it together again a second time, but needless to say, accuracy was no longer an issue as my hand shook and I flinched at every round thereafter.
Sorry, nothing more interesting than those two. However, both instances taught me important lessons. The first is obviouse, the second taught me to sort through brass better when reloading.
Brian
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 4:42:08 PM EDT
[#36]
As a kid I was practicing quick draws with my .22 pistol and shot myself in the foot.  I had on thick leather shoes, and the bullet did not go thru.  It hurt like heck for weeks. Lesson learned!!! Dry fire quick draw from then on.

As a teen we lived in a bad neighborhood.  I was walking home from school and some punks shot me in the leg with this guys .22 bolt action.  My mom cut the bullet from just below the skin and sewed up my pants.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:08:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Been shot at, but never shot thank God!
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 6:35:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Right upper shoulder with a .22 while answering a neighborhood disturbance call.  The disturbance was a vet (he said) who had probably dropped enough PMD to jack up Salt Lake City and was shooting around wildly because 'bees were eating his head'.  He also ate (that is, chewed and swallowed) a good-sized chunk of the rubber mattress on the gurney at the ER.  
Burned more than hurt, sort of like someone snuffing out a cigarette on you.  Definitely pissed me off.
Link Posted: 4/18/2001 10:39:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Was hunting in a place called Rush Run In Ohio opening day !Pen raised pheasants anyway they came up,a guy by this pond swung and Blam Neck was burning and right shoulder was afire Didnt break The skin and thank God for carharts hunting gear never leave home without them!
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 1:42:29 PM EDT
[#40]
I have been pelleted by buckshot before.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#41]
Yes.
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 6:27:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Shot in right eye with air rifle in 1983 at age 17.  No safety glasses=no more vision in that eye!!  I am totally and permanently blind in my right eye.

Now, at age 34, this same eye is starting to have problems (glaucoma), and I may have to have it removed soon.  Go to [url]http://www.losteye.com/enucleat.htm[/url]  to see what I have to look forward to

Now you know how I came to have the nickname "Deadeye", 'cause I have one dead eye.

(begin sermon mode)
Every morning when I wake up, I see the world through one eye, and realize the importance of wearing eye protection while shooting any firearm.

If you don't wear safety glasses while shooting, you are an idiot, plain and simple.  I never fail to point this out to people I see shooting without glasses.  

Smart people learn from their mistakes.  Brilliant people learn from the mistakes of others.  Learn from my mistake.

FWIW, I never lose an argument on the importance of eye protection, so flame away if you want.
(/sermon mode)
Link Posted: 4/26/2001 7:53:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 2:52:25 AM EDT
[#44]
No,but I got hit with shrapnel from an improvised munition,one not 2 bright fellow was holding it in his hand about 55yds away light it and reach back to throw and BOOM,blew the tips of his fingers off and a piece of it hit me right above the elbow,went in about 1 1/4 inches ,whole arm was yellow for a couple weeks,the equivalent of someone kicking you in the arm as hard as they could,knocked me over.
Drove myself home,with a stick shift 2.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:15:02 AM EDT
[#45]

I have always heard a 9mm would leave a nasty bruise and piss the shootee off.  Stories like this (and James Brady) emphasize the need to use enough gun.  
View Quote

Did you ever see the 'Police Videos' special on FOX where the oficer shoots the guy with a .45 auto at 2 feet away?

It was a shot to the guts that barely stunned the BG. He was still able to converse and fight until more officers arrived.

Cartridge size is not as important as bullet placement and performance. One ER doctor wrote that 90% of those shot with a handgun live, as well as 50% shot with a rifle.

A .22 carried on your person is better than the .44 Mag you left at home.
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:42:42 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/29/2001 3:59:32 AM EDT
[#47]
I saw that Americas Most Wanted where the black guy got away after being shot from like 5 ft away and they found him the next day barely bleeding.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top