Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/16/2017 7:13:31 PM EDT
I own a couple of Carhartt jackets. Both are tough and heavy. How do Duluth Trading Company jackets compare to Carhartt jackets?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd like to know this too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:20:21 PM EDT
[#2]
This is relevant to my interest.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:22:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I like their commercials
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:35:58 PM EDT
[#4]
A Duluth store is opening near me soon.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:37:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the shirt jac's from Duluth.

Their USA made jeans have great pockets for J-frame in a Mika pocket holster.

In general have been very pleased with their stuff.

Have a few Carhart jackets as well. Also good stuff.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Own both.  Both companies make good stuff.

My Duluth shirt jack is bulletproof.  Wish it had hand pockets though.

My Carhartt insulated bibs have also been good.  

If I had to guess, Duluth is more top shelf.  If I was buying, I would choose either one and be okay.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 7:57:32 PM EDT
[#7]
When it comes to their pants I prefer Duluth but still like Carhartt.

My Carhartt coat is more than 20 years old and looks like crap but keeps me warm and is comfortable.
One day the wife will toss it out and I will try a Duluth coat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:05:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I haven't tried Duluth trading yet , but carhartt jackets are  great .
also carhartt have really expanded their pants line , from super lite weight
cargos , to more stylish and better fitting cotton duck pants .
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:11:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I don't have any experience with Duluth, so Carhartt it is.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:15:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, I have 6 Carhartt coats but I'm open to try a Duluth.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#11]
How do the sizes run in pants?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:27:08 PM EDT
[#12]
We have a DTC store near us, and I went in there and bought some pants a couple weeks ago. Got one pair of "firehose stretch jeans" in khaki (awesome pants, comfortable as hell), and also a pair of the thicker firehose jeans in the brown duck color (very durable, these will be for dicking around at the farm). Over all I am quite pleased with both pairs of pants. I'm a cheapo and it's rare these days that I buy clothing without feeling like I spent my money on overpriced crap. These pants are definitely a solid value.

As for jackets, I get a free Carharrt jacket from my job every year, so no point in buying one from DTC.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:32:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Duluth chore coat is hands down the best working garment I've yet found. Comfortable, easy to move in, tons of pockets, warm without being too hot, and very durable.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 8:33:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Where?!
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:29:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Love Duluth pants, can't speak for their shirts or jackets.

I have: Firehose work pants, Summer weight Firehose work pants, insulated Firehose work pants.

They're pretty much all I wear these days.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Duluth.  No contest.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:51:10 PM EDT
[#18]
The Duluth stuff is very nice.  Pretty much all of it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I tried the Duluth fire hose pants once. I thought they sucked. Carhartt pants seemed a lot stronger and tear resistant than the over hyped Duluth offering. That said the Duluth long tail shirts are awesome for us tall people.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:19:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Those who live within the area of a Duluth store, are lucky. I live in Kali, and have to buy over the I-net.

I have ordered  2 pair of Firehose pants, one was far too tight, and was sent back. The replacement, the same size, was just right.

I ordered 1 pair of DuluthFlex Firehose pants, they fit perfectly.

2 pair of DuluthFlex Firehose "Trim Fit" , the ones they sent me could fit around a bath tub! Sent them back, sent along a letter explaining the problem,
and asked them to please pre-measure the pants before sending me the exchange....They obviously ignored my request, as the replacements, also
were too damn large. They are, as I write this, also being sent back to Duluth.

ALL my pants were ordered in size 036. As I told Duluth, "the same as my work Levi's, my Carhartts, and my dress slacks.
Those DuluthFlex all had a size 036 tag on them, but I measured them out at size 040+.

Duluth will send along a pre-addressed return label for the returns....But in Kali, they are using a no name company called "Newgistics".
You deliver your return to the USPS, then Newgistics picks it up from there.....It took them 2 weeks just to pick up that first return!!!

My current return, has sat at my local Post Office, now for 6 days without them picking it up. I live near Disneyland, not some out of the way town.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:24:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I like their commercials
View Quote
There is no substitute Holmes.

Havent you seen the commercial?  Grizzled old man fights a bear in his carhartt jacket.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:41:03 AM EDT
[#22]
I've owned both, can't speak on carhartts customer service but Duluth gladly swapped out the flex fire hose pants I had for 6 months that I outgrew. Also seem to hold up better than my carhartt pants and are FAR more comfortable.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:45:12 AM EDT
[#23]
I've got some Carhartt jeans.   They're pretty good for the money.  

I've got a set of Duluth firehose jeans... and damn are they rugged.   Warm, too.   Unfortunately, I live in south Texas, so most of the year they're just too hot to wear.

The price on those things tho.   They were a gift, otherwise I don't think I'd spend that kind of money on one pair of jeans.   They ARE nice tho.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:45:36 AM EDT
[#24]
I love my duluth pants. The fleece lined firehose pants are awesome. I have a pair of regular firehose pants and a pair of their bibs for working outside in the winter. All great stuff. I do not own any of their jackets.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:50:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Love the firehose pants.  Hated some of the other pants.  

No idea about the jackets, and my Carhartt jackets and coats haven't worn out yet.  Maybe in another decade or so.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:53:10 AM EDT
[#26]
I just took my Duluth winter coat off.

Put it this way. When it gets to the 40s and 50s I wear my Carhartt.

When it gets really cold, I put on my Duluth winter coat. That sucker is fantastic, not to mention like seven pockets, the majority of which I use.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 12:55:13 AM EDT
[#27]
I will start this by saying that I currently own and wear a Carhartt jacket and I love it. I've had it for several years and have no current need to replace it.

That being said, there is no better pair of pants on the market than Duluth. They are light-weight, more comfortable on every level and more durable. I went through a pair of Carhartt pants, on average, every 6 months. There was a certain spot on my thigh, due to my workbench, that always frayed my Carhartt pants.

I purchased my first pair of Duluth firehose pants a few years ago and there is no sign of wear. The threads are the same as the day I bought them and I wear one of three pairs that I now own 7 days per week.

On top of that there is this... I carry IWB most of the time. When I wore Carhartts I had a few pairs that I carried IWB with and a pair that I did not. My holster did not fit in the same pair of pants that I was comfortable in without it: one way was too loose, one too tight. The flexibility of the Duluth pants is great because I can carry or choose not to without discomfort. Imagine wearing a pair of sweatpants that are more durable than Carhartt pants--that is Duluth.

Look at the responses above. Most people are curious and one person said he opted out because they felt too light. Duluth pants are lighter, yes. They are also more durable, more flexible and do, in fact, have a better cut.

The pants are so good that when I needed to purchase new shirts I didn't consider another brand. When I need a new jacket (someday) I will purchase Duluth.

I feel like I need to say that I do not work for the company and am not a shill, I'm a woodworker. Duluth pants are simply one of, maybe, 5-7 tools that I own that have far exceeded my expectations.

You, and everybody on the fence, can send me a Pmag (only 10 round) as a thank you in 6-24 months.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:05:52 AM EDT
[#28]
If you're dropping coin on a jacket you're better off going all the way.  

https://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets.html
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 1:08:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Own both.  Both companies make good stuff.

My Duluth shirt jack is bulletproof.  Wish it had hand pockets though.

My Carhartt insulated bibs have also been good.  

If I had to guess, Duluth is more top shelf.  If I was buying, I would choose either one and be okay.
View Quote
Yeah I love my shirt jack too but wish it had hand pockets.

I have tons of Duluth stuff and absolutely love it.  The firehose pants are about as durable as I've ever seen or owned.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:43:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I don't have any experience with Duluth, so Carhartt it is.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:58:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
Duluth is all over the map.

Slight change in model means you need to re-fit and can't count on the size anymore. If it fit with one model, it won't with the next.

They are great pants, but, the fact I can drive 15 minutes to get to a store makes it viable for me because I can try on the actual pair I buy.  If I had to mail order them, I wouldn't buy them.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:18:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where?!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where?!
Warwick, RI.

I say near me because I work in Johnston, RI.

I Live in Norwich, CT.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#33]
I just had a minor issue with a zipper on a carhartt coat, YKK brand zipper.
Carhartt sent me a brand new coat no questions asked, they paid freight both ways.
FAST service..............
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:33:51 PM EDT
[#34]
I can only comment on jeans. I have both. The Duluth  (only have USA made) are better.  Totally worth the extra $$$.  I only buy them on sale, but would pay full price. Hope they're not reading this.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Just got a DT 4 minutes away.  I've worn my new DeluthFlex Firehouse cargos for the past 2 weeks straight.  Absolutely love this pair of pants and wifey actually approves of them too.  They are a long term solution.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:01:03 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Duluth TC Fire Hose Field Coat.  It is supposed to be a knock off of the field coats worn by paratrooper GI's during Operation Market Garden.
I f'ing love this coat and would be pretty upset if I ever lost it or had it stolen from me.  It is tough as nails, has pockets a plenty, a waist level cinch cord(nice on cold days), and a collar that closes shut, but no hood. 
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:10:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Love my shirt jackets. I have a firehose and a flannel. The firehose shirt jack is the shit for cutting firewood. Tough and warm enough for winter without an over coat.

I have worn out several pairs of firehose pants. Oddly they only wear out where the fabric touches itself. When I sit at my desk sometimes I rest my ankle on top of the opposite knee and stretch. Apparently I do this a lot as I can wear out a pair or pants in 2 years. This is the only place my pants wear thru and I cant think of any other abrasive situation that would wear them out. All were replaced by their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I was told "Its not a warranty, Its a satisfaction guarantee. " This may be a factor when you return them. That said they are the most comfortable pants I have worn, both firehose and jeans.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Was gifted two pairs of Duluth's heavy duty double kneed firehose cargos two christmases ago.  Awesome pants with tool pockets and deep front pockets; great for dropping my toolbelt and crawling across an attic or crawlspace with a few small tools in tow.  They are heavy, so the middle of summer isn't a good time for them but they have been performing remarkably.  I could buy two pairs of Dickies work pants for the price of one of Duluth's pairs but the right knee would tear in a year.  After working in these things I don't even consider wearing jeans to work, unless its all I have clean.

I aim to spend the big bucks and grab a few of the summer weight version of the same thing.  Hell, I can probably write them off.  

I have no experience with their outerwear, I am still happy with my carhartt active hooded coat, and the quintessential heavy barn coat.  There aren't any stores down here for me to try the duluth stuff on, unfortunately.  I can't see the purpose behind their 40 some odd dollar tshirt and henleys though.  But I'm still clinging to a formidable supply of dri fire sand T's from deployments so I'm good to go.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I can only comment on jeans. I have both. The Duluth  (only have USA made) are better.  Totally worth the extra $$.  I only buy them on sale, but would pay full price. Hope they're not reading this.
View Quote
Two days ago, I received the newest Duluth catalog....ALL of the pants, (jeans included), are IMPORTED.
I contacted Duluth by phone, and they verified this fact.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:45:31 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I will start this by saying that I currently own and wear a Carhartt jacket and I love it. I've had it for several years and have no current need to replace it.

That being said, there is no better pair of pants on the market than Duluth. They are light-weight, more comfortable on every level and more durable. I went through a pair of Carhartt pants, on average, every 6 months. There was a certain spot on my thigh, due to my workbench, that always frayed my Carhartt pants.

I purchased my first pair of Duluth firehose pants a few years ago and there is no sign of wear. The threads are the same as the day I bought them and I wear one of three pairs that I now own 7 days per week.

On top of that there is this... I carry IWB most of the time. When I wore Carhartts I had a few pairs that I carried IWB with and a pair that I did not. My holster did not fit in the same pair of pants that I was comfortable in without it: one way was too loose, one too tight. The flexibility of the Duluth pants is great because I can carry or choose not to without discomfort. Imagine wearing a pair of sweatpants that are more durable than Carhartt pants--that is Duluth.

Look at the responses above. Most people are curious and one person said he opted out because they felt too light. Duluth pants are lighter, yes. They are also more durable, more flexible and do, in fact, have a better cut.

The pants are so good that when I needed to purchase new shirts I didn't consider another brand. When I need a new jacket (someday) I will purchase Duluth.

I feel like I need to say that I do not work for the company and am not a shill, I'm a woodworker. Duluth pants are simply one of, maybe, 5-7 tools that I own that have far exceeded my expectations.

You, and everybody on the fence, can send me a Pmag (only 10 round) as a thank you in 6-24 months.
View Quote
What other tools or items exceeded your expectations?
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
I bought this one http://www.duluthtrading.com/store/mens/mens-outerwear/14009.aspx?processor=content at the begining of the seaon. It is durable and warm, mine is in dark blue. I wanted something that would hold up, but I could still wear to the office.

I've had Carhartt for years. I really like the Duluth.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:51:58 PM EDT
[#42]
i have the carhart bib overalls, feels like i am wearing a body cast.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 1:59:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I can only comment on jeans. I have both. The Duluth  (only have USA made) are better.  Totally worth the extra $$.  I only buy them on sale, but would pay full price. Hope they're not reading this.
View Quote
So how often does Duluth have sales? There is a store close to me and their stuff looks interesting    but I would find it more interesting with a 10-20% discount.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:11:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I've been a carhartt guy for a long time but over the last few years I've switched everything to Duluth. I don't have that coat but got one of the Alaskan gear jackets and I like it way more than my carhart.    I like my Duluth bibs more than my carhartts.

I've also thrown just about all my jeans away and exclusively wear their pants, and am usually wearing their shirts and flannels also.  Ha

Edit.  They are constantly running sales. It's not uncommon for there to be sales for 30%+ off the entire order plus free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:26:28 PM EDT
[#45]
I have a Carhartt jacket that is pretty nice.  I thought the price was a little high.  I received it as a gift, though, so didn't have to pay for it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Is it weird that I look forward to winter just so I could wear my carhartt coat
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:12:06 PM EDT
[#47]
I still have everything Carhartt that I have ever purchased.  I have never been able to destroy a jacket, coat, or pants.  

As far as Deluth, all I own are their butt crack shirts, and they are very heavily built and comfortable.  Say no to crack!!!
Link Posted: 3/18/2017 3:29:31 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
If you're dropping coin on a jacket you're better off going all the way.  

https://www.filson.com/men/coats-jackets.html
View Quote
I have a number of Filson coats, one vest, and a heavy sweater that are all great.  Four out of five of the shirts I bought from them had faulty button holes and had to be returned.  One wool shirt I returned left a really sour taste in my mouth for the company.  When I bought it, I paid full price.  Because they later out it on sale, they valued it at the sale price, then gave a depreciated value on that.  I ended up getting a $20 credit for a $120 wool shirt.  

Although the coats and sweater are still great, because of the button holes, and hosing I got on the return, we have parted ways.

Every dealing I have had with Duluth has been great!  4 years later and I still buy their stuff.  I love their cotton shorts.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:16:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I've been a carhartt guy for a long time but over the last few years I've switched everything to Duluth. I don't have that coat but got one of the Alaskan gear jackets and I like it way more than my carhart.    I like my Duluth bibs more than my carhartts.

I've also thrown just about all my jeans away and exclusively wear their pants, and am usually wearing their shirts and flannels also.  Ha

Edit.  They are constantly running sales. It's not uncommon for there to be sales for 30%+ off the entire order plus free shipping.
View Quote
I'll have to go and sign up on their site for sale notifications.
Link Posted: 3/19/2017 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Everything I've got from Duluth runs pretty large.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top